IGNORED

Bristol City Women - WSL / W Championship

Leveller

2 hours ago, shahanshahan said:

Aspin & Struck return to starting XI. Evans & Syme dropped to bench

Bentley returns to matchday squad but only makes the bench. Harrison out with injury & Stratigakis out with illness

KO 3pm, live on FA Player 

20240218_142531.jpg

Any idea why we had two keepers (Bentley and Clark) on the bench?!

22 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Does the P&R run for home matches? My daughter wants to go to the Spurs game. 

It seems to vary by game (and presumably expected attendance) is the simple answer.

Normally appears on the club website a couple of days before the game but maybe Jerry could answer in advance (I'd suggest Twitter/X). 

22 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Does the P&R run for home matches? My daughter wants to go to the Spurs game. 

It seems to vary by game (and presumably expected attendance) is the simple answer.

Normally appears on the club website a couple of days before the game but maybe Jerry could answer in advance (I'd suggest Twitter/X). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Full nelson said:

Not a chance. The squad is poor and will struggle next season in the championship 

Probably our best chance of a win is Brighton, they're almost as bad defensively as us. It would be nice to witness a W at home as can't see that happening in the other home games, maybe Everton. Hope today's result hasn't knocked the stuffing out of the squad.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2024 at 19:08, shahanshahan said:

City Women Fans Forum finally announced. Lauren Smith & Gavin Marshall will be taking questions from supporters.
Monday 4th March, 6:30pm, in the Supporters Club & Trust Bar.

Sadly we can already write the script for this without having to go.

Season not gone as we had hoped

Plenty left to fight for.

Believe the squad is good enough

Right behind the team

We've invested in the squad and made some key signings

The support has been fantastic.

We'll fight until we have nothing left to fight for

If we do go down we are in a better place than last time we were in the championship

Keeping hold of our best players will be important but if big offers come in

We can't compete on the same level in terms of finance with the bigger clubs

If we go back down to the championship the drop in gates will mean home games will have to return to the HPC

You can tick these off as they go through them.

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 2
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

Cheers. I’ll play it by ear. 

That might be a question that will be cause the club's hand to be forced by economic constraints. Then again, it will be interesting to see the club's management of season ticket renewal: will they want to see how many will return in the case of relegation and wait on the demand?

58 minutes ago, Nugget said:

Do you think there would be enough demand for games at the stadium to stay if they went down? Or is it just financially unviable to even open for the £'s in return etc. 

They will probably go back to playing at the HPC, playing some games at the Gate was necessary when they got promotion. If the crowds are still decent they may well carry on at the Gate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

Will be an interesting decision, potentially the HPC could be too small and AG8 too big and not cost affective 

Like other WSL currently do, maybe a move to a local non league ground is the most sensible? 

The hard one is phantom, they can’t try to plug that we are all one big club if you then force them to play elsewhere. 

There’s many which include myself, and do watch the women’s games from time to time with my kids, that even though they are playing in a city kit, it isn’t city to me. 

I wish them all the luck but if they went down for example, it wouldn’t concern me at all where With the men’s it’s a different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Any idea why we had two keepers (Bentley and Clark) on the bench?!

Bentley is coming back from a long injury, and hasn't played a game since the season opener. I think Clark is fit but Yanez seems to be preferred to start at the moment

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2024 at 12:12, shahanshahan said:

May be an injury replacement, but the top goalscorer for the team this season finally gets a call up to the Denmark squad

We'd already be down without Amalie's goals this season. Her goals per shots ratio must be excellent.

• Like 1

On 18/02/2024 at 20:07, phantom said:

Will be an interesting decision, potentially the HPC could be too small and AG8 too big and not cost affective 

Like other WSL currently do, maybe a move to a local non league ground is the most sensible? 

Clevedon?

Train option available at Yate or WSM ?

Attendances seem to be tailing off.

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

Clevedon?

Train option available at Yate or WSM ?

Attendances seem to be tailing off.

Attendances are not tailing off. Have been pretty impressive for the WSL given our poor form. Women's football is growing. Will probably get relegated,  but we have a choice. Stay in the g.ame (play at Ashton Gate) or retreat into mediocrity by playing at the HPC or a local non league ground. Bath would be a pretty poor option and we haven't got any decent non league grounds in the area.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, miser said:

Attendances are not tailing off. Have been pretty impressive for the WSL given our poor form. Women's football is growing. Will probably get relegated,  but we have a choice. Stay in the g.ame (play at Ashton Gate) or retreat into mediocrity by playing at the HPC or a local non league ground. Bath would be a pretty poor option and we haven't got any decent non league grounds in the area.

I suspect there will be a strong lobby to stay at AG.

Respect your views but attendances seem way down on the early season games.

Club doesnt appear committed financially imo which seems at odds with the pr.

22 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

I suspect there will be a strong lobby to stay at AG.

Respect your views but attendances seem way down on the early season games.

Club doesnt appear committed financially imo which seems at odds with the pr.

Attendances vary according to Lionesses appeal. Last match 6k compared favourably with Leicester  & Villa 4k earlier in season. 

• Like 2

• Admin
14 hours ago, miser said:

Bath would be a pretty poor option and we haven't got any decent non league grounds in the area.

That's a nonsense statement, Bath and Weston would be more than suitable 

Weston was good enough for the U21s not that long ago

13 hours ago, miser said:

Attendances vary according to Lionesses appeal. Last match 6k compared favourably with Leicester  & Villa 4k earlier in season. 

There is the problem, the crowds are visibly lower than at the start of the season

There was the names of "Man Utd" - "Arsenal" etc that appealed to the armchair fan then we had the likes of Mary Earps, who lets be honest single handedly put a few thousand on the gate when she was in town

We will lose all that with relegation and will go back to the real hardcore support that the club have

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, phantom said:

That's a nonsense statement, Bath and Weston would be more than suitable 

Weston was good enough for the U21s not that long ago

There is the problem, the crowds are visibly lower than at the start of the season

There was the names of "Man Utd" - "Arsenal" etc that appealed to the armchair fan then we had the likes of Mary Earps, who lets be honest single handedly put a few thousand on the gate when she was in town

We will lose all that with relegation and will go back to the real hardcore support that the club have

Not a nonsense statement. I wrote it in the context of attracting crowds. Women's football is primarily family focused. Twerton is poor spectator wise with limited parking. Weston was used for U21s watched by a handful of supporters. Retention of Ashton Gate would give us a chance of retaining some of the WSL support. Bath and Weston would not in my view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miser said:

Not a nonsense statement. I wrote it in the context of attracting crowds. Women's football is primarily family focused. Twerton is poor spectator wise with limited parking. Weston was used for U21s watched by a handful of supporters. Retention of Ashton Gate would give us a chance of retaining some of the WSL support. Bath and Weston would not in my view.

Villa seem ok with the Bescot I think and I believe many other clubs avoid using the main stadium.

Probably a good financial and possibly surface resting reason for that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Villa seem ok with the Bescot I think and I believe many other clubs avoid using the main stadium.

Probably a good financial and possibly surface resting reason for that.

I don't know if clubs choose to "avoid" or not. With the exception of West Ham, all WSL clubs have had at least one game in the main stadium. Arsenal have made an effort to have more games at the Emirates, same for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Of course, clubs have to consider costs, staffing etc when playing at stadiums

Quite a few clubs in the Championship also play in their main stadium too (Birmingham, Southampton, Sheffield United) & others have had some games in their main stadium (Blackburn, Crystal Palace, Watford, to name a few).

• Admin
1 hour ago, miser said:

How would Bath and Weston not attract crowds?

Using AG8 will not only be financial suicide, but why would anyone want to be playing in a 27k capacity stadium to a few hundred people?

• Admin

Today the FSA are launching a survey which will document the attitudes and experiences of fans of women’s football across a wide range of issues throughout the women’s game.

You can complete the survey HERE

The survey, which builds on our survey first conducted in 2022, will capture a comprehensive picture on everything from your matchday experiences to thoughts on TV broadcasting; your views on how your club engages with its fanbase to on-the-pitch issues and competition structure, and everything in between.

The data will be used not only the FSA but shared in our meetings with the major stakeholders in the women’s game, and be made available to our member supporter groups to help their work at a local level.

The survey is open to anyone who supports a team in the women’s game, from the Super League to the National League and beyond, as well as those who are followers of the women’s game in general.

See the report of our 2022 survey HERE

It doesn’t matter if you’re a season-ticket holder, someone who just goes to the occasional game or watches on TV, or just someone who roots for the women’s equivalent your men’s team; we want the views of all types of fans from the women’s game to make this the most comprehensive set of data possible.

The survey should take no more than around 10-15 minutes to complete – and you can do so here.

The FSA’s head of women’s football Deborah Dilworth said: “We are excited to launch the second edition of the women’s game supporters survey to get a feel for what matters to fans at all levels of the game.

“We are keen for as many supporters up and down the pyramid as possible to complete it, to get the most comprehensive picture possible of supporters views on a whole range of topics.”

TAKEN FROM: Women's game supporters survey launched - Football Supporters' Association (thefsa.org.uk)

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

How would Bath and Weston not attract crowds?

Using AG8 will not only be financial suicide, but why would anyone want to be playing in a 27k capacity stadium to a few hundred people?

Might be an idea to spread some of the home games around to Weston and Bath, although maybe it would be unfair to the hard-core support who would expect to play at the HPC week in week out.

On 18/02/2024 at 20:15, Wedontplayinblue said:

The hard one is phantom, they can’t try to plug that we are all one big club if you then force them to play elsewhere. 
All the WSL teams play away from the main Stadium and all gates fluctuate . Arsenal have just sold out the Emirates for a game, but they are due to play City at Meadow Park ( Borehamwood ) . It just makes sense, specially with the Rugby using the Stadium too.

There’s many which include myself, and do watch the women’s games from time to time with my kids, that even though they are playing in a city kit, it isn’t city to me. 

I wish them all the luck but if they went down for example, it wouldn’t concern me at all where With the men’s it’s a different kettle of fish.

I think that's normal for many , myself included. But then it's similar for our U21's . We all want them to win , but it doesn't hurt so much. If we were watching them week in week out then it may change, but with the exception of the hard core , most are at best part time. I think it would take a continued run in the WSL for that to change.

38 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Might be an idea to spread some of the home games around to Weston and Bath, although maybe it would be unfair to the hard-core support who would expect to play at the HPC week in week out.

I think that could be a great idea, it would give some young fans a chance to see BCWFC that they may not normally get . Then on the games they do play at the Gate , it may be more tempting. Getting out to a wider audience is never a bad thing .