IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

45 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

That 4th place in 2008 put us 24/92 in English football that season. And we've finished higher in the "92" or the pyramid in our history than that, more than ten times.

Their highest ever finish in the 92/pyramid was in 1956 and 1959 when they managed 6th in the old Second Division, but that was when there were 22 in the top division meaning the Few's highest 92/pyramid finish is 28/92. Same as we managed under LJ in 2019.

I don’t think anyone would argue that we could have spent our money more wisely, but barbed comments from a supporter of a club that has been non league very recently (despite their odious manager’s repeated recent claim that they are a “big city” club) & who haven’t even been in the second tier of English football for 30 years now is a bit like the dumbest kid in the class criticising someone with one A level for being thick.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

34 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t think anyone would argue that we could have spent our money more wisely, but barbed comments from a supporter of a club that has been non league very recently (despite their odious manager’s repeated recent claim that they are a “big city” club) & who haven’t even been in the second tier of English football for 30 years now is a bit like the dumbest kid in the class criticising someone with one A level for being thick.

I think the short answer, to the brazen Fewer's question: where has all the money spent got us in terms of league position? might be: higher/better than you lot have ever finished. Pal.

Something like that

7 hours ago, Super said:

From Barton

Q- I believe 50 Gasheads made the trip. The World Cup is on, everything costs a lot at the minute. That is an unbelievable effort from those fans, isn’t it?

A- Superb. We put strong teams out in the competition. We're going to need our fans if we get an away tie or a home tie in this competition because we want to get to Wembley.

It's a three-game carrot at the end of it and it would be nice to take 40-odd-thousand Gasheads to Wembley again.

Sorry, what's that got to do with the price of fish ?I'm not knocking the "gallant" 50, and the cost , yeah ,fair enough..............But choosing to watch the WC when your team is playing is NOT an excuse or credible reason, it just means you put a couple of hobledee hoy countries ahead of your own  team  !

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Sorry, what's that got to do with the price of fish ?I'm not knocking the "gallant" 50, and the cost , yeah ,fair enough..............But choosing to watch the WC when your team is playing is NOT an excuse or credible reason, it just means you put a couple of hobledee hoy countries ahead of your own  team  !

I would be surprised if any of those 50 travelled from Bristol, probably London based Gas

Some of us of a certain age will remember Brian Harding, more fondly known as Oscar, who has sadly passed away at the grand old age of 82.

I remember many a game at Eastville, when he would walk around the greyhound track selling his programmes.

He always got a loud cheer when he reached us City fans, with a rousing chant of his name.

https://youtu.be/kTQf7L5KG68

• Like 14
  • Sad 3

On 21/11/2022 at 17:31, Bristol Rob said:

Odd how they don't want the names of players who have played in da famous quarters.......

Meanwhile we could probably rustle up 20 that have played at Ashton Gate this year, including one that actually plays for us currently. What an embarrassing article that is. 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Some of us of a certain age will remember Brian Harding, more fondly known as Oscar, who has sadly passed away at the grand old age of 82.

I remember many a game at Eastville, when he would walk around the greyhound track selling his programmes.

He always got a loud cheer when he reached us City fans, with a rousing chant of his name.

Remember him back from when we were kids. Lived fairly close to Eastville so went down a bit. Don't remember why I wanted one, but bought a Programme off of him after a game. Didn't notice at the time but he sold me one for the week before. Can't complain really , we got into their little shed and walked away from the ground with an armful later, so swings and roundabouts. 
He was just always there at Eastville.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Amazed he was that old, always thought he would have been about my age, and I'm not 82 !