IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

12 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

That's a pretty fascinating resource - and an insane number of failed attempts.

I actually hadn't realised just how advanced the Mangotsfield plans eventually went. It seems an unusual instance where Rovers actually had a chunk of funds for it at the time, and it was held back due to the local backlash and worry about cars, only for the ring road to be built right next to the site a few years later. 

And today, even after all of the building works around that area over the past 25 years, the proposed stadium site still lies untouched and right next to the ring road.

Let's face it, if they had the funds in place it would've been built ages ago. In the past the sags wanted the Council to fund the build of the new stadium and all they wanted was to rent it for a matchday every other week. Typical sags, wanting something for nothing. It probably hasn't even crossed their tiny minds that their charlatan owner will sell their main asset to a developer (largely because he wants out and wants a return on his initial investment) on a promise of a new stadium being built. As far as I am aware there's nothing planned & no artist's impression of the Fruit Market Bowl. As far as I can see there is a £15M loan taken out against the existing stadium which will have to be paid back. I don't think there will be much left in the kitty to build any sort of substantial stadium and almost certainly they won't own it.

I would be really concerned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Surely, by nature, the best solution to that would be for there to be a steady flow of busses from the park & ride, dropping off outside the stadium.

It utterly ridiculous that there is a park & ride site, a stones throw from Ashton Gate, yet it's such an issue to park near the ground & the park & ride option isn't open to use..!

If people can't safely walk between the 2, then fair enough - but why not be able to park & ride, from the park & ride.?!

The park and ride is open to use.

It is safe to walk between the two.

You can park and ride if your'e too lazy / unable to walk for 14 minutes.

Now, what was the complaint again ?

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Surely, by nature, the best solution to that would be for there to be a steady flow of busses from the park & ride, dropping off outside the stadium.

It utterly ridiculous that there is a park & ride site, a stones throw from Ashton Gate, yet it's such an issue to park near the ground & the park & ride option isn't open to use..!

If people can't safely walk between the 2, then fair enough - but why not be able to park & ride, from the park & ride.?!

You'd think right.
But I would add a comment I saw as regards to why the Council didn't think opening Ashton Gate train Station was a good idea. "It would be too busy on a Saturday but not busy enough during the week" .

The council are buffoons , it should have been sorted years ago, if they had anything but screwing the motorist in mind, there would be a path and regular buses by now.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

If it's sorted then fair enough. I don't use it and was going by what I'd heard when previous complaints were made.
It was something about there being no pavement .

4 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

If it's sorted then fair enough. I don't use it and was going by what I'd heard when previous complaints were made.

And don't forget the P+R is in a different council area so not BCC.

54 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

And today, even after all of the building works around that area over the past 25 years, the proposed stadium site still lies untouched and right next to the ring road.

Not for much longer. Would be a terrible place for a stadium anyway, so that’s probably a bullet dodged in fairness to them.

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Hmm. There is no proper pavement if you walk the direct route alongside the bypass to  Ashton Bridge. It is navigatable single file with careful avoidance of a bit of street furniture. It could be upgraded if there was enough will.

The route via the M2 metro path is safe but will take longer.

When the new houses are built, I wonder if the will be able to extend an access route through the trading estate?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You'd think right.
But I would add a comment I saw as regards to why the Council didn't think opening Ashton Gate train Station was a good idea. "It would be too busy on a Saturday but not busy enough during the week" .

The council are buffoons , it should have been sorted years ago, if they had anything but screwing the motorist in mind, there would be a path and regular buses by now.

Let’s be honest, a local council is never going to be top heavy in terms of talent (especially the higher you go), and it’s direction is set by  “well meaning (at best)” amateurs who are largely unqualified. 

It’s little wonder then, we see these nonsense scenarios play out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

I actually hadn't realised just how advanced the Mangotsfield plans eventually went. It seems an unusual instance where Rovers actually had a chunk of funds for it at the time, and it was held back due to the local backlash and worry about cars, only for the ring road to be built right next to the site a few years later. 

If the Mangotsfield one went through I'd be able to see it from my house, imagine that !

Anyway I did my part and got behind the "Support the Rovers move to Mansfield" campaign. Did the job.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Is it.?

I genuinely had no idea.! All I ever see is that people can't use it.

It certainly doesn't seem to be encouraged, which is crazy when it should be ideal for the vast majority to use.

As someone referred to above - a far cry from Brighton, who didn't want traffic heading towards the stadium, so provided easy, convenient & cheap solutions.

Bristol is a fantastic city & great place to live - but in terms of it's council getting things done it is an absolute shambles - you don't need any further case studies that the disgraceful Arena farce, that the city should have had a decade or 2 ago and it absolutely should have been situated right next to Temple meads, so that everyone could access it without need to drive & park.

Bristol is so far behind many/most other cities in terms of facilities & relies purely on it's own people, private businesses  & natural environment to make it such a sought after place.

If it were left purely to the council or shambolic mayoral position, then Bristol would be more aligned with places like grim northern towns, than the thriving, cool place that it is - despite, rather than because of, the ones in charge of it.!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Meh, Bristol is okay. Has it's faults of course, just like everywhere, but I'm bemused how many people continue to slag off, what is a very, very nice place to live.

maybe you should move back and see just how cool it is :)

Thanks. 

I know it’s cool, but that’s no consequence of your political leadership, more the quality and abundance of natural and built assets and presence of some creative, chilled people who live there. It could be so much better with a little effort. 

Edited by RedRock

Yes his brother was overall the better player, even had breakfast with him and attended his “soccer school” as they called it when I was 7 and when I was 8, but Jack was great as well and doesn’t get the credit he deserved as a player nor a boss, anyway less of my adhd what a moving documentary ❤️

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

You'd think right.

The inhibitor to the train station at Ashton Gate isn’t BCC, whatever anyone thinks of the Mayor he has often said he wants one there & has repeated this only last week.

I attended a meeting a fair few years ago about this very topic when in my previous job & Avon & Somerset police were definitely the ones who were blocking it then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

The inhibitor to the train station at Ashton Gate isn’t BCC, whatever anyone thinks of the Mayor he has often said he wants one there & has repeated this only last week.

I attended a meeting a fair few years ago about this very topic when in my previous job & Avon & Somerset police were definitely the ones who were blocking it then.

That makes no logical sense. I don't doubt you for a minute, but surely getting fans away from the stadium quicker or cars off the road would surely be a major aim. Or so you would think.

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That makes no logical sense. I don't doubt you for a minute, but surely getting fans away from the stadium quicker or cars off the road would surely be a major aim. Or so you would think.

They said it would be a “trouble flashpoint” & they “didn’t have the resources” to man it.

Seemed nonsense to me but I was told then (this is many years ago) they would block any attempt to build one.

• Thanks 1

On 08/06/2023 at 14:31, bert tann said:

Herbert Gillam has been on the line with bad news for Rovers fans.

It appears Bristol City Council will not entertain the requested capacity increase at the Memorial Stadium.

So anyway, apart from the venerable Bert (and Herbie), has anyone heard any more about their new stand fiasco? Have the city planners really told them "no, don't even think about it"? 

All seems to have gone rather quiet over at the Tinpottery. 

39 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

So anyway, apart from the venerable Bert (and Herbie), has anyone heard any more about their new stand fiasco? Have the city planners really told them "no, don't even think about it"? 

All seems to have gone rather quiet over at the Tinpottery. 

I think theyre just trying to buy up the rest of the lego blocks to be able to start it. 

5 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Is it.?

I genuinely had no idea.! All I ever see is that people can't use it.

It certainly doesn't seem to be encouraged, which is crazy when it should be ideal for the vast majority to use.

As someone referred to above - a far cry from Brighton, who didn't want traffic heading towards the stadium, so provided easy, convenient & cheap solutions.

Bristol is a fantastic city & great place to live - but in terms of it's council getting things done it is an absolute shambles - you don't need any further case studies that the disgraceful Arena farce, that the city should have had a decade or 2 ago and it absolutely should have been situated right next to Temple meads, so that everyone could access it without need to drive & park.

Bristol is so far behind many/most other cities in terms of facilities & relies purely on it's own people, private businesses  & natural environment to make it such a sought after place.

If it were left purely to the council or shambolic mayoral position, then Bristol would be more aligned with places like grim northern towns, than the thriving, cool place that it is - despite, rather than because of, the ones in charge of it.!

Yes , Reece is such a **** up merchant ,he should be an honorary Tory !

• Hmmm 1

8 hours ago, nebristolred said:

And long may it continue so !

I "prowedly" sported a Support Rovers Move To Mansfield in my window .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Meh, Bristol is okay. Has it's faults of course, just like everywhere, but I'm bemused how many people continue to slag off, what is a very, very nice place to live.

maybe you should move back and see just how cool it is :)

From somebody who works all over the Uk I have said many times  on this forum how nice a city is to live in 

many great parks bars & resturants , very little if any Racial tension very little or any at all unemployment . I have good friends who are Swansea & Reading fans and both love coming here for the freedom A&S old bill give them and the great pubs bars they can visit before / after a game .

but Bristol really falls short in some ways . 
How the hell is the Bristol arena being built in Filton and not next to Temple meads , The portishead train line taking so long to get going is an absolute joke & the non use of the long Ashton park and ride absolutely baffles me . I could go on but I think we all now our council is an absolute joke yet the people of Bristol continue to vote them in.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

If the Mangotsfield one went through I'd be able to see it from my house, imagine that !

Anyway I did my part and got behind the "Support the Rovers move to Mansfield" campaign. Did the job.

I’m sure I’ve got a copy of OTIB or Bounty Hunter with the slogan on the back.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, redkev said:

From somebody who works all over the Uk I have said many times  on this forum how nice a city is to live in 

many great parks bars & resturants , very little if any Racial tension very little or any at all unemployment . I have good friends who are Swansea & Reading fans and both love coming here for the freedom A&S old bill give them and the great pubs bars they can visit before / after a game .

but Bristol really falls short in some ways . 
How the hell is the Bristol arena being built in Filton and not next to Temple meads , The portishead train line taking so long to get going is an absolute joke & the non use of the long Ashton park and ride absolutely baffles me . I could go on but I think we all now our council is an absolute joke yet the people of Bristol continue to vote them in.

I agree that the issues you mention are crazy but a couple of them are not the fault of Bristol City Council. In 2012 a referendum voted to have an elected mayor in Bristol and the first incumbent was red trousers George Ferguson. The mayor, who is separate from the Lord Mayor, has dictatorial powers and can make decisions without the support of the elected councillors. The decision to move the arena the Patchway was taken by the second mayor, Marvin Rees.  Thankfully, the voters saw how crazy having an elected mayor was, and following a second referendum the post was abolished as from 2024. The Portishead railway line is also not under the control of the local councillors. However, the park and ride is operated by the council, but not wholly owned by the council. The council has been trying to amend the opening hours for several years without success. Whether this is the fault of the current councillors or the original contract is unclear 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I agree that the issues you mention are crazy but a couple of them are not the fault of Bristol City Council. In 2012 a referendum voted to have an elected mayor in Bristol and the first incumbent was red trousers George Ferguson. The mayor, who is separate from the Lord Mayor, has dictatorial powers and can make decisions without the support of the elected councillors. The decision to move the arena the Patchway was taken by the second mayor, Marvin Rees.  Thankfully, the voters saw how crazy having an elected mayor was, and following a second referendum the post was abolished as from 2024. The Portishead railway line is also not under the control of the local councillors. However, the park and ride is operated by the council, but not wholly owned by the council. The council has been trying to amend the opening hours for several years without success. Whether this is the fault of the current councillors or the original contract is unclear 

I was thinking I remembered something about this. Apart from the geography isn’t Long Ashton P&R different in that the car park is owned by a private company and they contract in the bus service whereas the ones at Bris and Shire are wholly City Council owned so if they want them open then they open, if they want to use it for event parking then they can. I’d imagine the LA one involves a conversation around a private company sensing an additional quick buck or two.

1 hour ago, GreedyHarry said:

I was thinking I remembered something about this. Apart from the geography isn’t Long Ashton P&R different in that the car park is owned by a private company and they contract in the bus service whereas the ones at Bris and Shire are wholly City Council owned so if they want them open then they open, if they want to use it for event parking then they can. I’d imagine the LA one involves a conversation around a private company sensing an additional quick buck or two.

Think Council’s in the past had the power to CPO land ‘for the proper planning of the area’. Uncertain whether that power still exists. If the ‘Sporting Quarter and the Region’s premier entertainment facility was fully backed by the local Councils, with a bit of creative thinking, that power - or others available in the administrative toolbox - could prove to have some leverage in the matter. 

I’ve always found where there’s a will, there is invariably a way. Seems to me that nobody can be arsed to put any effort in to resolving the issue or supporting the only real decent sporting and entertainment facility in the South West. Typical of the mentality of those in control.  Compare and contrast the relative ease by which Exeter Chief’s Sandy Park gets supported….major pedestrian road bridge and link to nearby station, junction works, hotel, close P&R, trains, entertainment licences, stadium development …the list goes on. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Bear in mind, one of the main reasons Bristolians voted for a Mayor in the first place was due to the fact there was a hung Council for years.  Remember the days when there was constant political in-fighting within the Council, who seemed therefore seemed incapable of making any meaningful decisions.

Big problem was, the mayoral solution didn’t work either, because the two who got the gig turned out to be right pillocks!!  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Bear in mind, one of the main reasons Bristolians voted for a Mayor in the first place was due to the fact there was a hung Council for years.  Remember the days when there was constant political in-fighting within the Council, who seemed therefore seemed incapable of making any meaningful decisions.

Big problem was, the mayoral solution didn’t work either, because the two who got the gig turned out to be right pillocks!!  

I agree entirely. In the first referendum I voted for a mayor for the reasons you mentioned. Then we got, as you say, two right pillocks so I realised the error of my ways and voted to get rid of an elected mayor in the second referendum 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I agree entirely. In the first referendum I voted for a mayor for the reasons you mentioned. Then we got, as you say, two right pillocks so I realised the error of my ways and voted to get rid of an elected mayor in the second referendum 

Yeah, in theory the Mayor was a good idea, but needed the right person in the job …… that’s where the plan went horribly wrong!!!

• Flames 1

16 hours ago, redkev said:

I could go on but I think we all now our council is an absolute joke yet the people of Bristol continue to vote them in.

I think that's how it works with Councils, you elect the one local to you - I mean, I'm no expert, but...

14 hours ago, bartolona said:

I’m sure I’ve got a copy of OTIB or Bounty Hunter with the slogan on the back.

It was the Bountyhunter, I have the same edition

• Like 1