Time for SL to make a statement and act

GBF

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Could well do.

Just wondering what happens with Fleming?  Or do you see this as:

- Pearson (Head of Football(ish) title)

- Shakespeare (Manager)

- Fleming (Assistant Manager)

There's two reasons this doesn't work. I really don't think Pearson wants to deal with the bullshit of the behind the scenes of football. Secondly, Shakespeare isn't a manager in a month of Sundays - it was really bizarre when we gave him the job full time and thankfully we didn't stick with it for long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GBF said:

The fan base is very close to switching off and withdrawing  support....

b) Could we see if we could get well known local bands  or bands that play popular music well to play on the concourse to raise money for local charities  could we promote the bands that are playing in the pre match build up

GBF - wow! You obviously have enough connections to know that Bristol City’s entire fanbase is “very close to switching off and withdrawing support” - that is an incredible statement - so you believe all of our fans, our ‘fan base’ will ‘withdraw’ support?! So we can expect attendances of zero? And your point about bands playing before the games - you obviously don’t attend home games because bands have been playing before the game for a significant number of years ..

41 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

There's two reasons this doesn't work. I really don't think Pearson wants to deal with the bullshit of the behind the scenes of football. Secondly, Shakespeare isn't a manager in a month of Sundays - it was really bizarre when we gave him the job full time and thankfully we didn't stick with it for long. 

Was hoping you’d post.

4 hours ago, weepywall said:

Have we got a board ?? I couldn't name one of them apart from the chairman.

It is incredibly easy to find out who is on the board, the information is on both the OS or on Companies House.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/teams/board-of-directors/

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/03230871/officers

Although, admittedly I think SL is not technically a director anymore, even though the OS lists him as such. It'll be the OS that is wrong rather than CH.

Edited by ExiledAjax

A number of fair criticisms s to my original post

To summarise my thoughts. I only want to enhance our clubs revenue not reduce it.  

Given the football we are currently playing I don’t think many people will be looking to buy tickets at £30+ to watch City at present  This should only be a short term offering to stimulate more interest until the football on the pitch is back on track. I suggested until the end of season but maybe a shorter period would do the trick .

I don’t have access to how well the promotional offer for the Barnsley game went but there were still plenty of empty seats so it could be wishful thinking that reducing prices for the rest of the season would lead to higher attendances and a greater revenue

I just want to see some positive leadership from our Club  to rekindle the belief that we may one day be good again and acknowledgement that the current offering is below the standards they intended or are aiming for . We don’t have to be a premiership club to play entreating football at home   As many have already said on OTIB some of my favourite me memories of watching us  were under Terry Cooper

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

GBF - wow! You obviously have enough connections to know that Bristol City’s entire fanbase is “very close to switching off and withdrawing support” - that is an incredible statement - so you believe all of our fans, our ‘fan base’ will ‘withdraw’ support?! So we can expect attendances of zero? And your point about bands playing before the games - you obviously don’t attend home games because bands have been playing before the game for a significant number of years ..

Was on OTIB last night reading the reaction to the Coventry game, some questioning board, others management and virtually all questioning the ability of our team. I have seen the bands play and some are good but I don’t believe we promote that part of the match day experience as well as we could.  

I think we have a great stadium and facilities to watch football and just want us all to make the most of them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ostrich said:

What I see as a potential situation is that Nige is on leave to recover from illness for a period.  We hire Craig Shakespeare (or someone else) to help for that period.  He has a look at us and then he's brought into the coaching team permanently under Nige. 

15 hours ago, GBF said:

This club is in dire need of some positive leadership

The fan base is very close to switching off and withdrawing  support.  It is not hard to understand the fans frustration

1. The board have failed to deliver on the expectations that they set themselves when sacking Lee Johnson

2The football served up at Ashton Gate in the last 2 years is some on the most unenjoyable/ unwatchable  I have seen in over 40 years of supporting the club

3 Everyone is disillusioned with the state of play and looking to blame someone for the mess we are in

4 The Board have failed to communicate clearly the financial impact of the COVID pandemic on our finances and combining this will financial fair play the constraints which have been placed on NP and his ability to reshape our playing squad

5 Our playing squad in inadequate for the stated objectives of the Club ( to get into the play offs) and in truth this squad would struggle to achieve that in League 1

I am of the opinion that the following things need to happen to get a positive vibe back into supporting our club

1. The Board  to put out a statement clarifying where we are financially and thereby justifying the lack of investment in the playing squad this season

2. The Board to apologise for the current lack of quality in the football being played and as gesture in acknowledging that it has fallen well below its intended standard to reduce all ticket prices to a flat fee of £10 per person irrespective of age for all remaining matches this season

3 To compensate season tickets that renew for next season before a specified date with a reduction in price of £100 per adult on the price they paid this season as a reward for sticking with the club during this period To review price on non adult season tickets that renew but rather than money off perhaps get a free First team Home shirt 

4 The supports trust/ Club to make a real effort to improve the non football bit of the match day experience to entice as many of us as possible attend matches, get behind the team, and maintain the fan base at a time when the football being played is hard to watch

Could we 

a) Immediately reduce purchase price of all drinks consumed at the ground on match days to being the lowest available locally eg Pint for £4 Soft drink £1  Let’s get people into our stadium spending money and creating an atmosphere 

b) Could we see if we could get well known local bands  or bands that play popular music well to play on the concourse to raise money for local charities  could we promote the bands that are playing in the pre match build up

c) Could the Sports Bar and allTVs in the ground have the sound on when playing the early kick off premiership game on a Saturday 

d) Would it be possible to organise a Q&A session inside the concourse of the stadium with a former club player or manager each week pre kick off in the way this is often done in corporate areas of the ground We could start off with anyone of the Ashton Gate Eight and again could collect for charity  If this was done at 12 30 on 3pm kick offs for 30/45 minutes you may get up to a 1000 people turning up earlier to hear them speak whilst sharing drinks with their friends

e) If we are not selling out offer 500/1000 tickets per match to a different local school to distribute each match

f)  Let’s get people into the grounds concourse for 12.30 on a Saturday where there are things to do , see and hear a former City player, listen to music, watch the live premier game and eat food and buy drinks served by the Club

In return us fans need to:

1) Get behind the team and the Club and recognise that sometimes your club/ team isn’t as good and you want it to be but it will only get better if we are all pulling together

2) Turn up as much as possible and ideally take friends to matches assuming the Club offer cheap tickets  

3) Loudly support the team and help make it a harder place for opposition teams to play

Do you work for Bristol Energy?

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

What I see as a potential situation is that Nige is on leave to recover from illness for a period.  We hire Craig Shakespeare (or someone else) to help for that period.  He has a look at us and then he's brought into the coaching team permanently under Nige. 

If Nige’s health is really a problem, it’d be best for everyone if he just stepped down to allow himself to recover

I’m sure Nige will be on the blower to Shakespeare asap but did see this morning some talk of him possibly heading to Watford ..which would finally put to bed some rumours that Shakespeare stabbed Ranieri in the back. No idea of the source and Shakespeare was part of it at Watford when Nige felt badly treated

Edited by Ostrich
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, GBF said:

This club is in dire need of some positive leadership

The fan base is very close to switching off and withdrawing  support.  It is not hard to understand the fans frustration

1. The board have failed to deliver on the expectations that they set themselves when sacking Lee Johnson

2The football served up at Ashton Gate in the last 2 years is some on the most unenjoyable/ unwatchable  I have seen in over 40 years of supporting the club

3 Everyone is disillusioned with the state of play and looking to blame someone for the mess we are in

4 The Board have failed to communicate clearly the financial impact of the COVID pandemic on our finances and combining this will financial fair play the constraints which have been placed on NP and his ability to reshape our playing squad

5 Our playing squad in inadequate for the stated objectives of the Club ( to get into the play offs) and in truth this squad would struggle to achieve that in League 1

I am of the opinion that the following things need to happen to get a positive vibe back into supporting our club

1. The Board  to put out a statement clarifying where we are financially and thereby justifying the lack of investment in the playing squad this season

2. The Board to apologise for the current lack of quality in the football being played and as gesture in acknowledging that it has fallen well below its intended standard to reduce all ticket prices to a flat fee of £10 per person irrespective of age for all remaining matches this season

3 To compensate season tickets that renew for next season before a specified date with a reduction in price of £100 per adult on the price they paid this season as a reward for sticking with the club during this period To review price on non adult season tickets that renew but rather than money off perhaps get a free First team Home shirt 

4 The supports trust/ Club to make a real effort to improve the non football bit of the match day experience to entice as many of us as possible attend matches, get behind the team, and maintain the fan base at a time when the football being played is hard to watch

Could we 

a) Immediately reduce purchase price of all drinks consumed at the ground on match days to being the lowest available locally eg Pint for £4 Soft drink £1  Let’s get people into our stadium spending money and creating an atmosphere 

c) Could the Sports Bar and allTVs in the ground have the sound on when playing the early kick off premiership game on a Saturday 

d) Would it be possible to organise a Q&A session inside the concourse of the stadium with a former club player or manager each week pre kick off in the way this is often done in corporate areas of the ground We could start off with anyone of the Ashton Gate Eight and again could collect for charity  If this was done at 12 30 on 3pm kick offs for 30/45 minutes you may get up to a 1000 people turning up earlier to hear them speak whilst sharing drinks with their friends

e) If we are not selling out offer 500/1000 tickets per match to a different local school to distribute each match

f)  Let’s get people into the grounds concourse for 12.30 on a Saturday where there are things to do , see and hear a former City player, listen to music, watch the live premier game and eat food and buy drinks served by the Club

In return us fans need to:

1) Get behind the team and the Club and recognise that sometimes your club/ team isn’t as good and you want it to be but it will only get better if we are all pulling together

2) Turn up as much as possible and ideally take friends to matches assuming the Club offer cheap tickets  

3) Loudly support the team and help make it a harder place for opposition teams to play

We’ve gone through a pandemic which not only means we’ve lost ticket sales from last season but also the training ground took up a lot of money. That’s the reason for the low spending

34 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

We’ve gone through a pandemic which not only means we’ve lost ticket sales from last season but also the training ground took up a lot of money. That’s the reason for the low spending

Not sure that training ground spending counts towards FFP. Think our problem is more about what has happened over the last 3 years, made worse by Covid.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GBF said:

Was on OTIB last night reading the reaction to the Coventry game, some questioning board, others management and virtually all questioning the ability of our team. I have seen the bands play and some are good but I don’t believe we promote that part of the match day experience as well as we could.  

I think we have a great stadium and facilities to watch football and just want us all to make the most of them.

Cheers for the response. Although there are always very passionate views on our club posted on OTIB - they don’t reflect the views of our entire fanbase - just a tiny, tiny percentage of it. Anyway, cheers, have a great Monday! 

3 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, Calculus said:

Not sure that training ground spending counts towards FFP. Think our problem is more about what has happened over the last 3 years, made worse by Covid.

Yep, won’t form part of FFP.