IGNORED

Latest worrying stat

Ivorguy

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. The whole team has to defend. Also teams are not conceding chances when they have the ball. We aren't a team that keeps the ball for very long.

Coventry keep the ball much better than us and also with 10 men 2nd half stopped us from creating much mainly because of their midfield 3 and front 2 working so well off the ball. We could not get the ball into the right areas of the pitch.

Yep. Goalkeeper is the last line of defence. He should be doing a minimal amount of work. 15 shots, 5 on target in 90 mins is a hell of a lot of work.

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yep. Goalkeeper is the last line of defence. He should be doing a minimal amount of work. 15 shots, 5 on target in 90 mins is a hell of a lot of work.

Remember last season and looking at shots against that were starting to increase, but early part we very much conceding long shots, 25 yards plus….with our defence on the edge of the penalty area.  I was ok with that.  Then over a series of games those shots crept closer and closer, now defending the penalty spot.  Teams then getting deflected goals, or ricochets that landed at forwards feet.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Remember last season and looking at shots against that were starting to increase, but early part we very much conceding long shots, 25 yards plus….with our defence on the edge of the penalty area.  I was ok with that.  Then over a series of games those shots crept closer and closer, now defending the penalty spot.  Teams then getting deflected goals, or ricochets that landed at forwards feet.

Where's that from? I don't track that...maybe should. Can't see it in your tableau either. Straight WyScout stuff? We are seeing higher xG values against us this term, both in aggregate and per shot, so that supports the idea that closer, better shots are being allowed by us.

Earlier in the season I was ok with a slight up tick in shots faced, as our shots for (and on target) was well up on last season (and in average for the whole season still is actually). I figured we'd sacrificed a little tightness in defence for an increase in attacking threat.

In recent games though even that has dropped back towards the nadir of last season. Averaging 8 (3 on target) over the last 6 games versus 11 (4)* over the previous 11. The difference between 3 and 4, or 5 shots on target might not feel like much, but in % terms it's huge.

Most goalies at our level have something between a 65 and 75% save rate. Increasing their work rate by 33% makes a huge difference. Bentley having to make 5 saves a match is a huge, huge ask.

Interestingly though, the number of shots required by an opponent to score against us is 10 (3 on target) this season, and was 10 (3) last. The difference this season is that the raw number of shots against per game is up by about 6%...and goals conceded per game is up by 7%. That's a pretty close track. To me that suggests that it really is 'simply' a case of reducing the number of shots to reduce the number of goals conceded. Sounds obvious but sometimes it isn't.

The above is me comparing numbers so far this season, to the averages for the whole of last, but I'm not sure that matters much.

Screen the defence, stop the shots, through balls, crosses and corners. Close them down, make them hesitate. Make them think. Stop the shots.

(All figures have been rounded to nearest integer.)

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Where's that from? I don't track that...maybe should

Purely looking manually on Wyscout last season.  Nothing extractable I’m afraid….there’s is average shot distance but it’s not granular and therefore not usable for any analysis imho.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You might have noticed I have a chart with that plotted….but it’s a bit busy.

Yes. I looked. It is a tad busy...possibly better as a scatter of our xg/shot against opponent xg/shot. Then if possible have the blob be a pie chart split between our total xg for and theirs?

Just a suggestion. 

Edited by ExiledAjax

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes. I looked. It is a tad busy...possibly better as a scatter of our xg/shot against opponent xg/shot. Then if possible have the blob be a pie chart split between our total xg for and theirs?

Just a suggestion. 

Probably give them a big review over Xmas.  Want to streamline a lot of it.

Stats can paint many a flawed picture - like the one continually quoted on here by those who used to trumpet that we hadn’t won at home for an horrendous amount of months - when they conveniently included the months when we played zero games to exaggerate the bad run - another fave of mine is the triv question ‘which is the only club Barcelona has never beaten in European Competitions’ ? Answer - Dundee United, played 4 won 4 vs Barca ... stats can be accurate and informative but they can equally be amazing and misleading ... ??

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Stats can paint many a flawed picture - like the one continually quoted on here by those who used to trumpet that we hadn’t won at home for an horrendous amount of months - when they conveniently included the months when we played zero games to exaggerate the bad run - another fave of mine is the triv question ‘which is the only club Barcelona has never beaten in European Competitions’ ? Answer - Dundee United, played 4 won 4 vs Barca ... stats can be accurate and informative but they can equally be amazing and misleading ... ??

Pretty sure you’ve done well to win none, when playing against a team whose all time highest scorer in Europe is the legendary Ralph Milne. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

76% of stats are made up. 12% of people know that.