IGNORED

Team and Tactics for Blackburn

Waconda

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

….and in the same interview, words to the affect of “stopping the root cause”, the initial pass with little pressure.  We’d not parked the bus at all this season.  The above quote would not lead me to think we were gonna park the bus tomorrow.

Do you have a source at the training ground….quite a few “IMOs”, which is like adding a ? to a post?  Nobody is gonna ask you who, but you post things like above, which you’ve taken from an interview yet imply in other posts you have some inside knowledge.  That’s fine if you do btw.

As above, we’ve yet to park the bus this season, and I honestly can’t remember when that has been our intention.

Not convinced Vyner is at fault.  It was him that chased a long ball into the bottom left wing corner, laying it to Bentley to clear to Gardner. ⬇️

047A6E0A-5091-49DF-BA24-DBB62F67005F.thumb.png.4f0acad07ce9b6ef41a3748865c04996.png

Gardner strides on, Atkinson starts to engage ⬇️ Vyner not in picture yet, having been in corner.

1238CB2C-10F6-4F7F-9085-8811382390F4.thumb.png.269f9f90c77835b9b0e5a3babc36483c.png

Gardner plays it wide, Atkinson marking him / closest to him ⬇️ Vyner now in shot with Kalas looking to mark Jutkiewicz and Hogan.
4F215CF6-9750-45C6-BBED-C3AFC0BA105E.thumb.png.58e0cf736b24439750d25818b980e250.png

Graham shapes to cross ⬇️ Atkinson not checked his right shoulder, he’s basically lost Gardner.

81C3FB74-BF60-4808-98C2-7D08B1AE81E4.thumb.png.f80cb2b17e1ae28ae12342a73adf9552.png

Vyner realising Atkinson has got caught ball-watching tries to get across….too late ⬇️

E0DF40C1-70FC-4843-81F9-C35503C236D2.thumb.png.79010e5089f40081f5eb83b268a5c81d.png

My analysis, if you want to blame a player….then it’s Atkinson.  But it definitely isn’t Vyner.

We cannot tell what comms have gone on, but I find it hard to believe that at any stage Atkinson has said “I’m passing Gardner on”….let alone to Vyner.

???

Now looking at the clips,  why didn’t AW track back to stop the cross, allowing JD to stay tucked in. The problem came from the cross.  AW should of busted a gut to put pressure on the man wide, where the ball was always going.  Yes we lost it in midfield, we should of chopped him down and took a yellow would of been the answer in the 1st instance.  Defensive cover is something we’ve not got ATM. 

2 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Now looking at the clips,  why didn’t AW track back to stop the cross, allowing JD to stay tucked in. The problem came from the cross.  AW should of busted a gut to put pressure on the man wide, where the ball was always going.  Yes we lost it in midfield, we should of chopped him down and took a yellow would of been the answer in the 1st instance.  Defensive cover is something we’ve not got ATM. 

Not sure he’d have got there, but your point stands.  We allow our FBs to be left 1-on-1 far too often. Any singer worth his salt will fancy getting some joy if he’s constantly allowed to face up his full back.

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Bentley

Tanner     Kalas     Atkinson     DaSilva

Massengo     Williams      Bakinson     Pring

Weimann

Martin

Is my prediction.

Williams being back would be a real bonus but I worry yet again about if it's today, tne, two games back...

...Then break down again!!

Can we afford to play Martin from the start for a 17th out of 17? I'm inclined to say no, International break coming up or not.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

13 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I'd bite anyones hand off for a point and a committed showing.

4-4-1-1

Solid back 4 as possible

Massengo hopefully fit for this. Defensive midfield 4. Williams a chance to return. James unlikely.

Palmer as the 1

Wells central as solo forward to latch onto through balls.

I'd drop Martin and Weimann

OPTIMAL

Bentley

Tanner  Kalas Baker  Pring

Massengo Williams James  Dasilva

Palmer

Wells

Subs: O'Leary, Vyner, Bakinson  Pearson  Martin,  Conway, Simpson

LIKELY

Bentley

Tanner Kalas Atkinson Pring

Massengo Bakinson Pearson DaSilva

Palmer

Wells

Subs: O'Leary, Vyner,  Martin, Scott, Conway, Simpson, Benarous 

This is where we are as a club. People slating Nige should just look at the squad we have. Staying up would be a great achievement.

Interesting side and definitely agree with the principle of a fairly solid 4-4-1-1. Point would also be a decent return, agreed.

Dropping Weimann though? Martin I can understand as I fear we might play him into ground, Weimann is our top scorer though.

Baker, James, Williams being back would be excellent, question how fit they are though.

I'm not quite as pessimistic about the squad though. When all fit I certainly don't think we should be going down. Key caveat there though is when all fit- we've not been able to field for a full game, James-Williams-Massengo in a nice tight CM 3. Not once this season.

King first reserve, aging now injured. Semenyo something different, Baker bit of physicality and ability to play a more natural fit for a narrower left side but well injured eh.

Still really behind NP but not that concerned about the drop, injury permitting.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

….and in the same interview, words to the affect of “stopping the root cause”, the initial pass with little pressure.  We’d not parked the bus at all this season.  The above quote would not lead me to think we were gonna park the bus tomorrow.

Do you have a source at the training ground….quite a few “IMOs”, which is like adding a ? to a post?  Nobody is gonna ask you who, but you post things like above, which you’ve taken from an interview yet imply in other posts you have some inside knowledge.  That’s fine if you do btw.

As above, we’ve yet to park the bus this season, and I honestly can’t remember when that has been our intention.

Not convinced Vyner is at fault.  It was him that chased a long ball into the bottom left wing corner, laying it to Bentley to clear to Gardner. ⬇️

047A6E0A-5091-49DF-BA24-DBB62F67005F.thumb.png.4f0acad07ce9b6ef41a3748865c04996.png

Gardner strides on, Atkinson starts to engage ⬇️ Vyner not in picture yet, having been in corner.

1238CB2C-10F6-4F7F-9085-8811382390F4.thumb.png.269f9f90c77835b9b0e5a3babc36483c.png

Gardner plays it wide, Atkinson marking him / closest to him ⬇️ Vyner now in shot with Kalas looking to mark Jutkiewicz and Hogan.
4F215CF6-9750-45C6-BBED-C3AFC0BA105E.thumb.png.58e0cf736b24439750d25818b980e250.png

Graham shapes to cross ⬇️ Atkinson not checked his right shoulder, he’s basically lost Gardner.

81C3FB74-BF60-4808-98C2-7D08B1AE81E4.thumb.png.f80cb2b17e1ae28ae12342a73adf9552.png

Vyner realising Atkinson has got caught ball-watching tries to get across….too late ⬇️

E0DF40C1-70FC-4843-81F9-C35503C236D2.thumb.png.79010e5089f40081f5eb83b268a5c81d.png

My analysis, if you want to blame a player….then it’s Atkinson.  But it definitely isn’t Vyner.

We cannot tell what comms have gone on, but I find it hard to believe that at any stage Atkinson has said “I’m passing Gardner on”….let alone to Vyner.

???

Have just caught this post, but IMO you’re totally correct in that Gardner has ran off Atkinsons shoulder & all Vyner can do is try to close the space, which he never was going to. Noticed it on the night but after yet another dismal performance, I couldn’t be bothered to put my two penneth in. COYR 

24 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Williams being back would be a real bonus but I worry yet again about if it's today, tne, two games back...

...Then break down again!!

Can we afford to play Martin from the start for a 17th out of 17? I'm inclined to say no, International break coming up or not.

Assuming James doesn’t make it I’d be inclined to play Vyner and just tell him - “your role is to screen our two CBs, nothing else”.  When he gets it the ball, give it to a red shirt and make sure you are back screening the CBs.

How we play in front of that probably has a bit more license, because they know that Vyner is always at “home” protecting them.

Weimann | Massengo | Scott | O’Dowda (going all 4141 18/19)

I have no issues with Martin starting as long as we consider subbing him 60-65 in….it really is the last third of the game where he struggles most.

I wouldn’t be against Simpson at RB either, but I think Tanner keeps his place.  Pring at LB.

• Like 1

Parking the whose to blame argument for a moment it is probably fair to say that everyone agrees that what we have been doing is not working and things need to change.

We possess (are stuck with) the squad we have and need to get the best out of them if we are to stay out of the bottom 3.

Not a fan of the "system to suit the players" method myself but sadly I think we find ourselves in the situation where that is the only option.

Bentley

Kalas     Atkinson     Baker

Tanner                                                 Pring

James/Williams     Massengo

Palmer

Wells/Weimann     Semenyo

Injuries allowing obviously but  this formation with a more possession based, attacking through the lines game plan. Allowing the players to play with freedom and take risks with the ball. 

Total reset required for me.

Not meaning to be flippant but formation and starting 11 mean nothing if they don't follow instructions , ball watch and stand off.

The starting 11 should be those who are up for the fight and proud to wear the shirt and I'm really sad to say that I cant pick 11 players who qualify.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Looking forward to Sunday. Might see a decent game of football for a change.

Agree with Bentley in goal.  Palmer has to start in midfield, but I'd have her play deeper.

Who are these other girls?

Is she fit enough, she missed Monday?

Murray and Aspin building a string CB partnership.

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Parking the whose to blame argument for a moment it is probably fair to say that everyone agrees that what we have been doing is not working and things need to change.

We possess (are stuck with) the squad we have and need to get the best out of them if we are to stay out of the bottom 3.

Not a fan of the "system to suit the players" method myself but sadly I think we find ourselves in the situation where that is the only option.

Bentley

Kalas     Atkinson     Baker

Tanner                                                 Pring

James/Williams     Massengo

Palmer

Wells/Weimann     Semenyo

Injuries allowing obviously but  this formation with a more possession based, attacking through the lines game plan. Allowing the players to play with freedom and take risks with the ball. 

Total reset required for me.

Not a fan of system to suit the players ! So you’d rather play players in a formation that doesn’t suit them ? 

18 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Not meaning to be flippant but formation and starting 11 mean nothing if they don't follow instructions , ball watch and stand off.

The starting 11 should be those who are up for the fight and proud to wear the shirt and I'm really sad to say that I cant pick 11 players who qualify.

That's one vote for not even putting a team out.

20 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

who will be in charge of the team for Blackburn. surely steve could inform the fans or have i missed something. 

Most likely to be Fleming. 

Why would Steve Lansdown be the one telling people that anyway? 

On the team: I think we should stick to the flat 4, with hopefully Atkinson back to parter Kalas. Tanner, Kalas, Atkinson and Pring as a back 4 is ok, although very inexperienced at Champ level bar Kalas. 

Midfield depends on fitness. If James or Williams are fit then they need to play. Without them there's just yet more inexperience, and we need the few experienced heads on the pitch. If they aren't fit then I guess we are stuck with HNM, Bakinson, COD etc. Whoever it is, they have to be more intense, close Blackburn down, and stop the creation of so many shooting chances.

Up front...2 of the 3. Does it matter? I'm not sure it does. Any combination is capable of capitalising on a Blackburn error. Any combination is also capable of creating the square root of F all.

In an ideal world and where everybody is fit I would go for this:-

Bentley

Tanner    Kalas    Atkinson   Pring

O'Dowda   James   Williams   Semenyo

Weimann

Wells

4-4-1-1 with jumpers for goalposts.

If I wanted to change up to pack out the midfield I would sub Tanner for Massengo or Scott and drop him in behind Weimann. I might be tempted to swap Pring for Baker, but I think Pring has the engine to manage in a back 3 and is far less likely to over commit and give away needless free-kicks or penalties like Baker or the flat-footed Vyner (even though Pring seems to be subbed quite a bit by the current management).

Up top I would utilise Wells and ensure that we played the ball on the deck into feet, not hoof it up into the sky looking for a Martin (notice his absence?) flick on.

If Wells is struggling as the game wears on I would introduce young Louis Britton for his first senior game of the season. Defenders won't like a youngster coming on to ruffle it up physically with them (as Britton does) with his natural instinct of being in the right place and his ariel threat also adding another dimension to our forward plays.

We need to make use of the width because we are far too narrow and direct in our style (i.e lump the ball forward).

My instruction to Bentley would be to stop hoofing it long all of the time. Try to play out from the back as we are going to need our wide men (Semenyo / O'Dowda to work the touchlines and stretch the opposition defenders, allowing for the incredibly fit Weimann to operate inside and enabling Wells to get off the shoulder of the defence to bear down on goal which is what he does best.

Edited by Gert Mare
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gert Mare said:

In an ideal world and where everybody is fit I would go for this:-

Bentley

Tanner    Kalas    Atkinson   Pring

O'Dowda   James   Williams   Semenyo

Weimann

Wells

4-4-1-1 with jumpers for goalposts.

If I wanted to change up to pack out the midfield I would sub Tanner for Massengo or Scott and drop him in behind Weimann. I might be tempted to swap Pring for Baker, but I think Pring has the engine to manage in a back 3 (even though he seems to be subbed quite a bit by the current management).

Up top I would utilise Wells and ensure that we played the ball on the deck into feet, not hoof it up into the sky looking for a Martin (notice his absence?) flick on.

If Wells is struggling as the game wears on I would introduce young Louis Britton for his first senior game of the season. Defenders won't like a youngster coming on to ruffle it up physically with them (as Britton does) with his natural instinct of being in the right place and his ariel threat also adding another dimension to our forward plays.

We need to make use of the width because we are far too narrow and direct in our style (i.e lump the ball forward).

My instruction to Bentley would be to stop hoofing it long all of the time. Try to play out from the back as we are going to need our wide men (Semenyo / O'Dowda to work the touchlines and stretch the opposition defenders, allowing for the incredibly fit Weimann to operate inside and enabling Wells to get off the shoulder of the defence to bear down on goal which is what he does best.

Like it, although if all are fit I think I'd be using Conway over Britton in the role you describe.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Looking forward to Sunday. Might see a decent game of football for a change.

Agree with Bentley in goal.  Palmer has to start in midfield, but I'd have her play deeper.

Who are these other girls?

Worth pointing out that they also went to Coventry this week, went a goal down but didn’t lose..

Wonder if Lauren Smith can pass on a few tips?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

who will be in charge of the team for Blackburn. surely steve could inform the fans or have i missed something. 

Just got a phone call....apparently my name came up in the Tombola.....so i will be doing my best to organise a 9-1 -1 formation depending on whose fit?  if anyone has any advice or ideas?, then mind your own business, and keep it to yourself, as it's my turn this week.  ?

Edited by maxjak

We should select an 11 who are most comfortable on the ball. 

We will continue to have few chances / shots but at least we can stop being overrun.

So unfortunately no unproven youngsters.

Palmer has to play, JD, James (hopefully), HNM as a midfield that actually attempt to pass and move.

Perhaps AW and NW up front who will at least run into space?

Agree with the above comment about telling Bentley and the defence to stop hoofing it,

Surely it can't get worse.