IGNORED

Tomas Kalas - Hull interview

Davefevs

1 hour ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

A point I haven’t seen mentioned is it’s far cheaper to keep a quality player already here than to buy one from another club. We may be able to save a few million but then we’d have to buy another player with that money, who won’t be as good.

Indeed and, in addition, we would also be paying agents’ fees and, most likely, signing on fees, removal/relocation fees etc.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I honestly struggle to see how Lansdown, an accountant, could be fooled into looking at “transfer profit” and not forensically look at the rest of the stuff.

This is the question I wish somebody would ask him. Unfortunately I suspect even Twentyman wouldn't and even if he did he would likely get short shrift.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

100% keep Kalas if we can. He's a top quality centre back at this level.

But if bigger clubs with more money are interested then will he really want to sign a new deal. Fair play to him if he likes it here that much.

If they can't agree on a new deal in the summer then it will be best to sell him, but only for the right price.

Need Tomas’s local girlfriend to tell him he’s staying because she ain’t leaving her mates ???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VT05763 said:

He is not going to able to buy many if any new "Kalas" level players.

Will have to coach average/underperforming up to good.

Make the team better than the sum of it's parts.

In time he hopefully will be able to do it,

But we all knew this long before you were constantly calling for him to be sacked & making up lies about a split in the camp 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Need Tomas’s local girlfriend to tell him he’s staying because she ain’t leaving her mates ???

I briefly met Tomas and his partner   in Sainsbury's by Ashton Gate, just after he came back from the Euro's.   His girlfriend is   10 out of 10 drop dead gorgeous.  IMHO.

• Like 1

In the same article was a piece about Jason Cundy, and his fight back from a knee injury.........Both Cundy and Joe Williams are 24 and struggling a little with injury problems, but they are both young enough and potentially good enough to have a significant future at City.  It would be great if they could both get fit and feature regularly in the squad.  I think they would contribute a lot?

16 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I briefly met Tomas and his partner   in Sainsbury's by Ashton Gate, just after he came back from the Euro's.   His girlfriend is   10 out of 10 drop dead gorgeous.  IMHO.

Well quite, I suspect hell will have to freeze over before a millionaire footballer goes out with Nora Batty.  

As for Kalas, the only reason to countenance his departure is because it might loosen the purse strings at a time when we're feeling the pinch - it's nothing to do with the player himself, undoubted quality that he is, it's everything to do with the state the club is in generally and how 1 player leaving might enable improvement in the squad as a whole.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

6 hours ago, Gazred said:

It's an interesting point in his career really.

In his prime, still under a good contract at midpoint, played well for us in his time here, put in some good performances at international level. He's sort of ripe for a move to a bigger club or for a better deal yet he doesn't ever seem to have been seriously linked with anyone that i can recall.

He clearly sounds settled and he's no doubt on a fat wage so not in a rush to give that up. Perhaps he has just found a level, a club and a homelife that suits and genuinely doesn't have a desire to seek something else at this point. As he says, he's had a pretty nomadic lifestyle for most of his career.

Would he extend in the summer if offered? Could meet those demands even if reduced terms?

I expect he’s never been heavily linked with another club because he is not as good as people here seem to think he is, he’s on silly wages, and we completely had out pants pulled down with each of the players we signed from Chelsea that summer.

Don’t get me wrong, he is fine at this level, but has a mistake in him and some of his great last ditch defending comes from being out of position or mistiming an areal challenge. 

• Hmmm 1

32 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Well quite, I suspect hell will have to freeze over before a millionaire footballer goes out with Nora Batty.  

As for Kalas, the only reason to countenance his departure is because it might loosen the purse strings at a time when we're feeling the pinch - it's nothing to do with the player himself, undoubted quality that he is, it's everything to do with the state the club is in generally and how 1 player leaving might enable improvement in the squad as a whole.  Let's hope it doesn't come to that. 

Lighten up Mr Marvel .  I believe Kalas has been a succcessful  signing, in amongst an awful lot of dross, including another couple from Chelsea?      He is obviously   happy to stay as long as we show some ambition, hopefully he will end up being here for around 8 seasons, if all goes well.........at a million a season for a player of his quality, that is good business.  (And no i have not forgotten his wages?)  PS.  Nora Batty is gorgeous IMHO.

Edited by maxjak
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, maxjak said:

In the same article was a piece about Jason Cundy, and his fight back from a knee injury.........Both Cundy and Joe Williams are 24 and struggling a little with injury problems, but they are both young enough and potentially good enough to have a significant future at City.  It would be great if they could both get fit and feature regularly in the squad.  I think they would contribute a lot?

Thought I was in a time warp then , Jason Cundy ?

45 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I assume you don’t mean the former spurs player 

• Like 1

He's a good player, gives effort - but I always think he could be more

If he bought his international form - he should be in the Prem.  Such an enigma - it's like he needs more motivation to be the best he can be.

Hope we keep him, but I think he will look back on his career and think - if I gave the extra 10% I was capable of - what could I have been.

Seems like Mr 90% - too good for the Championship, but  can't find the extra 10% consistently to be a Prem player. An enigma.

• Hmmm 1

Top quality defender at this level and could step up to the next. 
When NP Left him out while back I wondered what was going on but NP has come out quite recently in how he rates TK. 
We have been here before with getting the spine of the team right and the rest will follow.  I would trust TK would be part of the team spine along with Bents, Baker, James, and then….Martin ? Or another.  
while you suspect professional sports athletes follow the pay packets there has to be something more to attract him to stay and  the noises he is making would suggest that is the case.  Let’s hope so.