IGNORED

ashton gate eight article in football pink

Never to the dark side

7 hours ago, East Londoner said:

Reading all these articles of the Ashton Gate eight one question keeps coming to mind. Why did the likes of Geoff Merrick never play professional football again given he was only 30 and had previously turned down the likes of arsenal?

He did play, in Hong Kong, but by then even only 30 he was well past it. Few seem to wish to accept with these players City were already hurtling over the cliff, they were either past it or never were to have it. We've had loads of talented players over the years who for injury or sometimes just age, lose that they once had overnight.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, East Londoner said:

Reading all these articles of the Ashton Gate eight one question keeps coming to mind. Why did the likes of Geoff Merrick never play professional football again given he was only 30 and had previously turned down the likes of arsenal?

30 was old back then. I remember a past it Kevin Keagan playing for England in the World Cup Spain 1982 he was only 31 but long past his best.

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

He did play, in Hong Kong, but by then even only 30 he was well past it. Few seem to wish to accept with these players City were already hurtling over the cliff, they were either past it or never were to have it. We've had loads of talented players over the years who for injury or sometimes just age, lose that they once had overnight.

Guess that explains why that part of the story gets glossed over 

4 hours ago, CiderJar said:

30 was old back then. I remember a past it Kevin Keagan playing for England in the World Cup Spain 1982 he was only 31 but long past his best.

It is interesting how it’s different now but guess there’s now more knowledge about how to look after yourself these days 

19 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Yep. Thirty was considered `past it` back then. I suppose players had been so pumped full of cortizone and stuff to get them back fit they were knackered by then - that and the `lifestyle` many used to follow!