IGNORED

In case anyone forgot

Unan

If only FIFA had the balls to cancel the whole event and leave Qatar to pick up the bill for their slave labour built stadia?   But as there are big, big bucks involved, they will sweep it under that Pheckin big carpet that Qatar/FIFA own.  The Beautiful Game?....What a Joke?   Ha! ?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

Sorry that’s rubbish. I’m a Guardian reading lefty and I think Qatar holding the World Cup is an abomination. As is the treatment of this woman. 

Ok point taken.

I am expecting mass demos, social media campaigns, marches on the streets etc. from you & the left / UAF / Antifa to boycott the WC then…. 

• Confused 4

20 minutes ago, Lewisdabaron said:

Not a clue. I dont know any, but maybe they could work together with the chap from the Guardian mob? 

They like to call out Slavery. 

You clearly feel strongly about the issues in Qatar, like me, so I’m guessing you’ll be organising something yourself? Happy to tag along if so. Also, I’m not sure why ‘calling out’ slavery is the preserve of us lefties? Wouldn’t any decent minded individual feel the same about all types of slavery, whatever their politics?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

You clearly feel strongly about the issues in Qatar, like me, so I’m guessing you’ll be organising something yourself? Happy to tag along if so. Also, I’m not sure why ‘calling out’ slavery is the preserve of us lefties? Wouldn’t any decent minded individual feel the same about all types of slavery, whatever their politics?

Absolutely. Happy to meet up & arrange something ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewisdabaron said:

They like to call out Slavery. 

Shouldn't everyone?

And is a news story about rape really the place for pointless political grandstanding? 

This horrific news story only further emphasis the moral bankruptcy of holding a World Cup in a country with Qatar's human rights record. The World Cup should not be happening there and I for one will not be watching. But I am also not going to use it to start trying to score political points. I think any reasonable person who cares about human rights thinks the World Cup in Qatar is an appalling thing, regardless of which side of the political spectrum they sit. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Shouldn't everyone?

And is a news story about rape really the place for pointless political grandstanding? 

This horrific news story only further emphasis the moral bankruptcy of holding a World Cup in a country with Qatar's human rights record. The World Cup should not be happening there and I for one will not be watching. But I am also not going to use it to start trying to score political points. I think any reasonable person who cares about human rights thinks the World Cup in Qatar is an appalling thing, regardless of which side of the political spectrum they sit. 

Agree 100%,. The big issue for me is if I/we/everyone have to listen to a commentator say "the players are taking the knee for equality for all" at the start of every game on tv, then why the hell are these same players going to happily play there for their respective Countries? Why is the likes of Gary Lineker staying silent on Qatar, who loves to be political about everything else? The likes of Ferdinand, Shearer, Wright, Lineker etc etc should all be boycotting going there to sit in a studio and be any part of it imo. Until it is boycotted by some higher profile people, or some players, then why should fans (or anyone) believe these players are standing for equality for all?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Agree 100%,. The big issue for me is if I/we/everyone have to listen to a commentator say "the players are taking the knee for equality for all" at the start of every game on tv, then why the hell are these same players going to happily play there for their respective Countries? Why is the likes of Gary Lineker staying silent on Qatar, who loves to be political about everything else? The likes of Ferdinand, Shearer, Wright, Lineker etc etc should all be boycotting going there to sit in a studio and be any part of it imo. Until it is boycotted by some higher profile people, or some players, then why should fans (or anyone) believe these players are standing for equality for all?

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/gary-lineker-hits-qatar-world-170000768.html

https://www.thenationalnews.com/sport/decision-to-award-qatar-the-2022-world-cup-was-ludicrous-says-gary-lineker-1.650173

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/16651632/qatar-world-cup-gary-lineker/

"Will I support the Qatar World Cup in a sense of all that? No, because they’ve got too many fundamental human rights wrong. I’m aware of all that.

“Will I do stuff for Qatar in the World Cup? Absolutely not. Whatever they wanted to pay me the answer would be no. But I will go there and report the World Cup for the BBC.”

There are some explanations, whether you agree with him or not, there. He hasn't stayed silent on it at all.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the players to not take the knee there personally though, even though I support them doing it here. You'd broadly expect players to abide by the customs of the country it's held in, which obviously has an appalling human rights record. Most of them will only get one or two chances to play for their country at a world cup, and it's not their fault where it's held.

You can generally support something, but that doesn't mean you have to base your entire life around it. That goes for all of us.

If you're not going to do everything, is it just better to do nothing at all?

One can only wonder how and why such a small country with no football history was awarded such a prestigious, global competition
I am sure M. Platini, who was called into discuss France’s hoped for trading partner by then President M. Sarkozi, would be able to explain, although I believe he did indicate at the time that his vote for Qatar was based on expanding the good name of football throughout the world.

Oui, Monsieur.

3 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Monsieur platini.

Great footballer,

But openly anti english.

I can recall many of his comments of the years.

I dont recall to many compliments.

Unlike his countryman ginola, and eric, who have nothing but good to say about our fans.

Perfectly summed up.

10 hours ago, IAmNick said:

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/gary-lineker-hits-qatar-world-170000768.html

https://www.thenationalnews.com/sport/decision-to-award-qatar-the-2022-world-cup-was-ludicrous-says-gary-lineker-1.650173

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tv/16651632/qatar-world-cup-gary-lineker/

"Will I support the Qatar World Cup in a sense of all that? No, because they’ve got too many fundamental human rights wrong. I’m aware of all that.

“Will I do stuff for Qatar in the World Cup? Absolutely not. Whatever they wanted to pay me the answer would be no. But I will go there and report the World Cup for the BBC.”

There are some explanations, whether you agree with him or not, there. He hasn't stayed silent on it at all.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the players to not take the knee there personally though, even though I support them doing it here. You'd broadly expect players to abide by the customs of the country it's held in, which obviously has an appalling human rights record. Most of them will only get one or two chances to play for their country at a world cup, and it's not their fault where it's held.

You can generally support something, but that doesn't mean you have to base your entire life around it. That goes for all of us.

If you're not going to do everything, is it just better to do nothing at all?

I'd expect the players to take the knee there, how can you even support them taking the knee here but not over there - isn't that the whole point? 

It is disgusting it is being held there, FIFA are a disgrace, and it is disgusting that these same people who want to shout about equality at every opportunity (in a Country where they can), are not prepared to do the same about "equality" in a Country where there is hardly any.

As for Lineker, those first 2 links are hardly damning, he's basically just blaming corruption, he then says those lines above you quote in The Sun. In an exclusive interview that is all he can come up with? How many people have died building the Stadiums, purely for a tournament that is "entertainment" for others?

His ultimate line for me "In an exclusive interview, the 60-year-old star told us: “I get this all the time. ‘So you’re not going to go then?’ I’ve got to go because it’s my job. News reporters go, so why am I not allowed to?

That's ok Gary, people in Qatar rape women with impunity - why am I allowed not to? China doesn't care about Climate Change, so why should anyone else?

Does he really have to go? Who is forcing him, has he been captured by someone from Qatar, and has no rights like the builders of the Stadiums (hundreds who have died building them), Stadiums he will happily sit inside of? Of course he is allowed to go, but I would have expected the amount of times he takes the moral high ground, he would have taken a stand and he wouldn't be going.