IGNORED

Robins Reunited - David Rodgers & Geoff Merrick

3 Peaps In A PodCast

David Rogers and Geoff Merrick, what a combination! Rogers  was what used to be called “an old fashioned centre half”,  but he held his own against top centre forwards in the old Division One. Merrick, on the other hand, had immense skill and was good in the air even though he was relatively short. If only we had them now when they were in their prime 

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

David Rogers and Geoff Merrick, what a combination! Rogers  was what used to be called “an old fashioned centre half”,  but he held his own against top centre forwards in the old Division One. Merrick, on the other hand, had immense skill and was good in the air even though he was relatively short. If only we had them now when they were in their prime 

Always remember a game where Rodgers got his face rearranged after a clash with I think Justin Fashanu.

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Always remember a game where Rodgers got his face rearranged after a clash with I think Justin Fashanu.

I remember that match. He walked around the pitch from the uncovered end towards the dressing room, with his face covered in blood, only stopping off at the away manager’s bench to give him a tirade about what a duty bastard Fashanu was. Amazingly Fashanu wasn’t  even booked 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

We walked in as 10/11 year olds when the Dolman/Open End gates were opened. If anyone wants an indication of the high water mark for racism at Ashton Gate, that was possibly *the* game.

Edited by Sleepy1968

11 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I remember that match. He walked around the pitch from the uncovered end towards the dressing room, with his face covered in blood, only stopping off at the away manager’s bench to give him a tirade about what a duty bastard Fashanu was. Amazingly Fashanu wasn’t  even booked 

10 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

We walked in as 10/11 year olds when the Dolman/Open End gates were opened. If anyone wants an indication of the high water mark for racism at Ashton Gate, that was possibly *the* game.

It was the season we got relegated. The referee didn’t see it. My old man went nuts. 

As for high water mark for racism. Not sure what you mean. I’ve been at games with gibbon noises and bananas getting chucked. This was just a case of common assault by bloke who spent a large part of his life complaining and telling stories to the papers. Whatever anyones opinion of race and sexuality Fashanu was guilty of common assault that day!

• Like 1