IGNORED

2023 Contracts

Tomo

Massengo, Bents, Kalas, Wells, Dasilva, Martin all out of contract in June 2023....we all keep talking about Han-Noah not agreeing to a new deal but what about the others ?

Martin is unlikely to get a new deal and Nahki may get a 1 to 2 year extension on lower wages? 

Han-Noah has had a contract offer on the table for months but nothing is said about others. Odd. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-contract-transfer-window-7125122

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Massengo, Bents, Kalas, Wells, Dasilva, Martin all out of contract in June 2023....we all keep talking about Han-Noah not agreeing to a new deal but what about the others ?

Martin is unlikely to get a new deal and Nahki may get a 1 to 2 year extension on lower wages? 

Han-Noah has had a contract offer on the table for months but nothing is said about others. Odd. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-contract-transfer-window-7125122

A question I have is what is the situation in the rest of our division, or football as a whole? Are other clubs looking at similar contracts that were 3 or 4 years signed pre-covid and are about to run out with no prospect of renewal on those terms? 

If so then our players will simply go into the biggest pool of free agent/freelance footballers we've ever seen. We and other clubs may then see a very different kind of window next summer. One of wages and signing bonuses rather than transfer fees.

It could be interesting, and in a situation where there's perhaps 200 free experienced championship players, would we be that worried about not replacing these guys?

• Like 5

A look at the Championship ins and outs is striking. Virtually every club has significantly more outs than ins. Burnley really the only club with a number of big sales ( one or two other isolated examples) and almost every fee ‘undisclosed’. Compared to 3 years ago, the Championship market has collapsed, although the parachute payment clubs can still evidently pay competitive wages. If NP achieves anything from this he’s a genius- no City manager has been so restricted since Russell Osman put his hand in his pocket at a presser and pulled out coppers.

• Like 1

We have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes & once the window closes today there is an opportunity to address some of these.

I also wondered if the free month (November 13th to December 9th) when we don’t have any games might see some progress?

Just now, brad blit said:

I tweeted Gregor last night asking for this very question to be asked - its annoyed me for some time that all everyone cares about is HNM, whereas to me getting JD tied down to a new contract is imperative to any future success we may have. 

Personally I think Bentley would be the hardest to replace. He's not perfect but I think he's about as good a keeper as we can hope to get (bar a loan from the Prem which seems unlikely under Gould and Pearson).

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Personally I think Bentley would be the hardest to replace. He's not perfect but I think he's about as good a keeper as we can hope to get (bar a loan from the Prem which seems unlikely under Gould and Pearson).

I think the signing of Bajic may indicate we are already considering life without him?

Will be very interesting to see what happens to Bajic this year, he didn't come here to be 2nd choice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I think this is down to Nige saying “nothing to do with me”.  Really need a Richard Gould interview.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

We have absolutely no idea what is going on behind the scenes & once the window closes today there is an opportunity to address some of these.

I also wondered if the free month (November 13th to December 9th) when we don’t have any games might see some progress?

This exactly. In 10 months time all those players will be out of work, if they are still here tomorrow. I guess once the window is closed Richard Gould will start negotiating with these players and their agents.

I guess with HNM we tried to tie him to a contract early (I thought RG / NP said that a contract has been there for a year for him to sign) to 'protect his value.'

The most upsetting thing about that list is the money they cost to bring in, i dont see any going on and having success elsewhere, and not many will be particularly fondly remembered in 5 years time, apart from massengo having fun hair and striking a chord with the younger fans. Hes the only one who might get a ligue 1 level contract in the future, but it wont be for paris, so everyone else is much of a muchness.

• Hmmm 1

One observation about the future which maybe affecting the present contract wise.

Next year the financial rules are likely to change again. I've not looked in depth but in 2023-24 it is suggested that the squad cost can be 90% of turnover, ie wages, amortisation I guess and agents fees etc. In 2024-25 it is 80% and 70% 2025-26 will be 70%. In other words we might be thinking hard about what terms to offer etc.

This last figure of 70% is intended as the new baseline but financial redistribution as well as substantial reform to the Parachute system should be in the pipeline, could benefit us. Transfer profits could also add to expenditure although no idea on the detail. Assessment ivrt a calendar year seems to be a mooted reform as well.

One potential downside of rules changing again effective next year is a few clubs who may breach in 2023-24 under the current rules may get off the hook.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Think Bajic has possibly been bought in to replace in case he doesn't sign on. Much more sweeper style, but also a decent shot stopper which appeared ironically to be O'Leary's weakness when stepping up last season.

Future planning seems like to me, I.e. get Stefan conditioned up to speed first 6 months and settled, then possibly loaned out to League One/Two in Jan if possible.

Or I'm hopelessly wrong and this post can be ignored. Who knows.

Edited by Fuber
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DaveF said:

I think the signing of Bajic may indicate we are already considering life without him?

Will be very interesting to see what happens to Bajic this year, he didn't come here to be 2nd choice.

I think that’s exactly why he’s here.

He’s made justv6 starts for St. Etienne and 15 in the French second division, no way is he looked on as our first choice at this moment, even if he was fit.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I think this is down to Nige saying “nothing to do with me”.  Really need a Richard Gould interview.

I take you back to the last interview regarding contract renewals and his statements about wanting to keep HNM and offering a contract, yet over a year later, has still failed to achieve this.

I don’t want to hear from Gould about what we’re hoping to do, I just want action, as aside from youth players (I class Scott and Conway in this category until recently), there has been zero action on a contract renewal point of view for our senior players that could hold value from a sales perspective.

silence is deafening.

• Hmmm 1

24 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think that’s exactly why he’s here.

He’s made justv6 starts for St. Etienne and 15 in the French second division, no way is he looked on as our first choice at this moment, even if he was fit.

Not at the moment, but he will be expecting to be competing for it. That many appearances at 20 years old for a keeper as well as all the France youth appearances is pretty impressive.

6 hours ago, BLRed said:

I take you back to the last interview regarding contract renewals and his statements about wanting to keep HNM and offering a contract, yet over a year later, has still failed to achieve this.

I don’t want to hear from Gould about what we’re hoping to do, I just want action, as aside from youth players (I class Scott and Conway in this category until recently), there has been zero action on a contract renewal point of view for our senior players that could hold value from a sales perspective.

silence is deafening.

And your point is?

Ask yourself why contract renewals might be dragging on / stalled / never gonna be signed?

6 hours ago, BLRed said:

silence is deafening.

While I understand where your coming from the fact is that since Ashton left all business is conducted in a different manner, and certainly not in the public domain. Like Naismith  for example who appeared from no where to join us without any leaks or speculation.  NP tells us, via the media, he does not get involved in all that stuff re contracts and agents and the like….and he is cool with it and will not concern himself… However I am sure NP must have put his arm around HNM  for example and given him a bit of love and a cuddle…but I am sure what goes  and is said on is private.  Much as I would like to know the ins and outs like the rest of us, it’s not going to happen.

• Like 1

There are far more players reaching the contract end across the divisions following the economic crunch for clubs post Covid. 

Wells / Martin / Bents & Kalas would see their next move as being a final move with a financially rewarding signing on fee as they’re all in the 30s (by end of contract for Bentley & Kalas). 

I suppose JD would be seeing how the club progress this season, he’s got the best chance for a move to step up a level and challenge himself more if we fall away for a lower midtable finish.

Otoh a quick and fill in any blanks if I'm wrong but definitively beyond 2023.

Bajic

Wilson, Tanner, Atkinson, Naismith, Pring

Scott, Williams, James, Sykes, Benarous

Weimann, Conway

Semenyo of course has a year option in our favour if needed so will take us to 2024. As do O'Leary and Vyner.

Obviously younger players such as Idehen, Towler...and Pearson. Is he part of plans at all? Seems to have been around the club a while or feels like it anyway.

Seems a useful foundation to build around and if a range of out of contract leave, well they are among the higher earners and the higher with amortisation too which can free up space for some costlier additions or higher end loans if we want to go that way.

If we could retain Bentley, Kalas, DaSilva on reasonable terms and tie down Massengo, Semenyo and depending on length and need Scott for longer I'd be more than happy.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 01/09/2022 at 11:50, Davefevs said:

I'm not sure you'll get much out of Gould.

Remember his Twentyman interview, it was something like this...

20: So Richard any news on Massengo's contract situation?

RG: Massengo is... um... yes he is a footballer.

20: Err yeah and have you offered him a contract?

RG: Um contracts are things that we do offer sometimes...

20: But Massengo, come on Richard!

RG: He's French. Did you know that?

20: Forget it, next question then...

• Haha 3