IGNORED

U21s at Sheffield Wednesday

phantom

38 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Don’t see much of the young un’s, so hoping a bit of an off day. Sheff Wed looked toothless, but so did we, not sure many will be thumping on NP’s door demanding a first team place based on that. Klose solid enough and good to get 90 mins. Generally lots of poor decisions when we had the ball and a lack of energy (playing in a big, empty stadium can’t help). If based purely on performance, wouldn’t have subbed Backwell off. But guess a win’s a win. 

33 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep, an off day.

Loads of possession but no threat on goal.

Top of the league though...

Just to mention that Wilson, Pring, Bell, were ineffective and I wouldn't think their performances did them any favours.

Of all the games I watched last season, the worst ones where were we gave fringe 1st teamers a run out. Whether it's to do with the players not knowing each other well enough, the younger players leaving responsibility to the experienced ones or just that they find it hard to motivate themselves at that level, or combination of factors I don't know. 
The funny thing is that in last couple of seasons watching the U23's (as was) was often better than watching the first team, more vitality, more urgency and a good team ethic, I don't think that has changed much, it's just that the first team have gone beyond that in the first few games and the U21's I have watched have seemed paler in comparison.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Interesting that Tins talks of Bell being on a similar level to Tommy, but nowhere near based on his performance today. 

I have to say that I’ve never seen a great deal in Sam Bell. Or Riley Towler. Thought both have looked out of their depth when they’ve played in the first team. Just not ready.
Both are young, though, and youngsters can make big steps forward very quickly.  

14 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Interesting that Tins talks of Bell being on a similar level to Tommy, but nowhere near based on his performance today. 

He may well be at a similar level in terms of skill, but he is a bit behind in most other respects imo.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Omar Taylor-Clarke has not had the best of games but I may be being too critical. It's too easy to forget that, overage players aside, most of the City team are closer to 18 than they are 21.

That's very true. It says a lot when a large number of our u21's are actually playing at an age level above where they are in terms of actual age.

I know Tinnion rates a lot of the younger players very highly, and I have read that he thinks this next group to come through have something about them. When they're going to be compared to the likes of Scott and Conway, that's a very big claim to make.

For the first time in a long time, the future (with regards to players coming through), is starting to look very good indeed.

Edited by Taz
I also think that the addition of over age players are really helping the younger ones. Look at the Wells/Conway combination last season, and how they've started this season!!

1 hour ago, Taz said:

That's very true. It says a lot when a large number of our u21's are actually playing at an age level above where they are in terms of actual age.

I know Tinnion rates a lot of the younger players very highly, and I have read that he thinks this next group to come through have something about them. When they're going to be compared to the likes of Scott and Conway, that's a very big claim to make.

For the first time in a long time, the future (with regards to players coming through), is starting to look very good indeed.

Here’s the Wednesday side with ages:

B7AB08F8-461F-4603-A042-E26C78136EB9.thumb.jpeg.1fce5cdefbd0b3638abea321f0a7284a.jpeg

With no commentary and no numbers to match to names, I don’t know who was who, but I thought the big no5 (LCB3) was good, as were the two more attacking midfielders.

Pretty young line-up too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Here’s the Wednesday side with ages:

B7AB08F8-461F-4603-A042-E26C78136EB9.thumb.jpeg.1fce5cdefbd0b3638abea321f0a7284a.jpeg

With no commentary and no numbers to match to names, I don’t know who was who, but I thought the big no5 (LCB3) was good, as were the two more attacking midfielders.

Pretty young line-up too.

I think they sat back virtually all game due to the results prior to today - 1-4, 0-5, 1-3.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

The funny thing is that in last couple of seasons watching the U23's (as was) was often better than watching the first team, more vitality, more urgency and a good team ethic, I don't think that has changed much, it's just that the first team have gone beyond that in the first few games and the U21's I have watched have seemed paler in comparison.

Coupled with the fact that most of their players from the last two seasons are now in the first team squad ?.

• Like 1