IGNORED

Thank our lucky stars goal line technology did not fail on Saturday?

Never to the dark side

The EFL is “incredibly frustrated” by the failure of goal-line technology (GLT) during Sunday’s Championship match between Huddersfield Town and Blackpool.

Huddersfield were denied an equaliser when Yuta Nakayama’s effort crossed the line, only for GLT to fail to detect the goal.

Blackpool ended up winning the match 1-0, after Theo Corbeanu had earlier scored his third goal in four matches.

The error means Huddersfield remain in the Championship relegation zone, with just four points from their opening seven matches. 

In a statement, the EFL it was “incredibly frustrated that a technology failure at Huddersfield Town and Blackpool has overshadowed a fantastic weekend of action on the pitch

The statement added: “We have now received an initial assessment from Hawk-Eye, the providers of the Goal Line Technology service in the Championship, that during a second-half incident with Huddersfield attacking, the match officials did not receive a signal to their watch or earpiece as, due to multiple factors, the ball was no longer being tracked following it entering the Blackpool goal area.

“Separately, PGMOL have confirmed officials were unsighted due to obstruction by players and therefore unable to award a goal.

“Whilst the system was tested and functional prior to the start of the game, further information is expected from both Hawk-Eye and PGMOL following a full review of the incident.

“Technology is there to support the decision-making processes of match officials in the Championship and it failing in such a manner on Sunday is a matter of great concern.

“For clarity, the referee’s decision is final and the match result stands.”

The Huddersfield incident is not the first time Hawk-Eye have suffered a technological fault that cost a team a goal.

13 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

It would be interesting if you get a incident as on Saturday , but where a linesman (or Referee) can see that it’s clearly gone over the line , but receive no signal ,whether they’d be brave enough to give the goal 

You would hope so but with VAR in the prem the refs are clearly cowards and letting technology make the decisions so wouldn’t hold my breath 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TomF said:

Well Naismith slammed it in anyway, it was almost a shame it had crossed the line as his turn and shot was ludicrously good for a centre half 

Agree but has over 150 appearances as an attacking player and over 50 career goals. He is a cb now but if anything the goal showed he was an attacking player for most his career. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomF said:

True I always forget that!

Ha usually I am using the argument for him when he makes a mistake. For you to forget it shows how good he is at the back.

I have often been critical of last season and the tactics we used. Think Naismith has been the key to us being a goal threat not just on the counter but now more in possession building from the back and set pieces.

Think defensively he’ll only grow too. First season in the middle of the 3. He’ll be seeing the game a bit differently than he did last season so every game he’ll get more comfortable. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

It would be interesting if you get a incident as on Saturday , but where a linesman (or Referee) can see that it’s clearly gone over the line , but receive no signal ,whether they’d be brave enough to give the goal 

I am not sure.

I recall the Aston Villa game two? seasons ago (away to Sheffield United?), when the Villa goalkeeper clearly carried the ball over the line, but the referee, (Michael Oliver, no less), received no 'beep'.

His only reponse when dealing with the players' protests was to shrug his shoulders and point at his watch.

I wonder whether that is why he ignored the monitor this weekend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not sure.

I recall the Aston Villa game two? seasons ago (away to Sheffield United?), when the Villa goalkeeper clearly carried the ball over the line, but the referee, (Michael Oliver, no less), received no 'beep'.

His only reponse when dealing with the players' protests was to shrug his shoulders and point at his watch.

It proved quite decisive too, Aston Villa survived by one point and a worse GD than the side below. Sheffield United could have been derailed as they were in a European push prior to the Covid suspension.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not sure.

Big call , and difficult , to overrule technology (That generally seems to work well) isn’t it ! 

Youd have to Bloody sure ! ? and brave !

On 05/09/2022 at 19:45, Mr Popodopolous said:

It proved quite decisive too, Aston Villa survived by one point and a worse GD than the side below. Sheffield United could have been derailed as they were in a European push prior to the Covid suspension.

It was just before HT and the issue was raised at HT. Villa absolutely should have let Sheff U walk the ball into the net. Easy to say when it's not your team I guess, but they were done by a technology failure. No way Oliver could have overruled that in real time. That decision gave me more reason to dislike Villa

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarcusX said:

It was just before HT and the issue was raised at HT. Villa absolutely should have let Sheff U walk the ball into the net. Easy to say when it's not your team I guess, but they were done by a technology failure. No way Oliver could have overruled that in real time. That decision gave me more reason to dislike Villa

While I totally agree with what your saying but surely VAR should have stepped in?

• Like 1