IGNORED

Football disorder in England and Wales

phantom

• Admin

Arrests and reported incidents of disorder at football matches in England and Wales last season were at their highest level for eight years.

There were 2,198 football-related arrests, the highest number since the 2013-14 season, according to Home Office figures.

The 2021-22 campaign saw the return of capacity crowds after a year of Covid-19 restrictions.

Last season's disorder included players being approached after pitch invasions.

A fan was jailed after running on to a pitch and headbutting Sheffield United captain Billy Sharp at the end of Nottingham Forest's play-off match against the Blades.

A Manchester City fan who ran onto the pitch and taunted Aston Villa keeper Robin Olsen on the final day at Etihad Stadium received a four-year football banning order.

More reported incidents and more arrests - key stats

• Incidents were reported at more than half of all matches (53%) - 1,609 of the 3,019 matches played
  • In 2018-19 - the last full season before Covid-19 restrictions - there were reported incidents at 1,007 matches, equivalent to one-third of the games played
  • It means reported incidents were up by 60% last season compared with 2018-19
  • There were 441 pitch invasions reported last season - up by 127% on 2018-19
  • Football-related arrests were up 59% - the highest number of arrests since 2,273 were made in 2013-14

What constitutes football disorder, to me, seems to have changed in the last few years. We now have idiots in pitch invasions attacking players, throwing bottles / objects from stands, pyro related issues. Cowardly acts, these seem to be the main problems.  

less fan v fan trouble, running battles in the streets or stands and organised violence.

Unless you count groups of lads shouting ‘come on then’ while hopping up and down liked coked up meerkats, live streaming on Tikbook or Instachat. 

• Like 1

Have thresholds and tolerance fallen by the year and decade?

Not condoning trouble, although by the same token I don't recall the mid 2010's being particularly troublesome as far as football or watching it goes- certainly inside grounds.

Obviously there was a post Covid spike in certain aspects, not least pitch invasions but I wouldn't say I'm particularly concerned, especially as that seems to have dissipated?

In other words, is the threshold for ban, ejection or indeed arrest now lower thereby catching more people whose behaviour isn't so bad, certainly by standards of even last 15-20 years?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Would be intrigued to see how many come under Section 4 public order offence 'Fear of provocation of violence' IIRC a few got done for this after the Swansea trouble a few years back. 

• Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 can be applied where there has been a fear or provocation of violence. This offence consists of the use of threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour. It is a summary offence, which means that it will be tried at the Magistrates Court. If found guilty, the maximum sentence can be 6 months imprisonment. However, if the offence is racially aggravated, the Crown Court can impose a maximum sentence of 2 years imprisonment.

Edited by Carey 6

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Have thresholds and tolerance fallen by the year and decade?

Not condoning trouble, although by the same token I don't recall the mid 2010's being particularly troublesome as far as football or watching it goes- certainly inside grounds.

Obviously there was a post Covid spike in certain aspects, not least pitch invasions but I wouldn't say I'm particularly concerned, especially as that seems to have dissipated?

Whilst it certainly couldn't be the sole reason for the spike it was most definitely a factor. There seemed to be a general rise in disorder and petty crime across society post lockdown. However, like Mr Popodopolous I'm not too worried as things seem to be getting back to normal and in the main there's a feel good factor about football now. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Would be intrigued to see how many come under Section 4 public order offence 'Fear of provocation of violence' IIRC a few got done for this after the Swansea trouble a few years back. 

• Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986 can be applied where there has been a fear or provocation of violence. This offence consists of the use of threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour. It is a summary offence, which means that it will be tried at the Magistrates Court. If found guilty, the maximum sentence can be 6 months imprisonment. However, if the offence is racially aggravated, the Crown Court can impose a maximum sentence of 2 years imprisonment.

That's a very interesting snippet of law, not just for football either but seems a bit subjective and catch-all for my liking. What constitutes insulting words escalating to a fear of violence? Pretty open to interpretation surely.

Wouldn't call it bad law as such but seems open to misuse and abuse IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Small update.

Headline is that year on year comparison arrests at matches are on the rise.

Yet the actual figures for incidents) sourced from the Times in this instance) show that it is down. Wouldn't know that from screeching headlines.

Odd that arrests up by 10.88% and banning orders more than trebled when incidents down 15-20%??

Makes little sense.

Screenshot_20230113-200557_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e7d8051fb9a394f6f280c294bbf31a3d.jpg

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Small update.

Headline is that year on year comparison arrests at matches are on the rise.

Yet the actual figures for incidents) sourced from the Times in this instance) show that it is down. Wouldn't know that from screeching headlines.

Odd that arrests up by 10.88% and banning orders more than trebled when incidents down 15-20%??

Makes little sense.

Screenshot_20230113-200557_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e7d8051fb9a394f6f280c294bbf31a3d.jpg

Banning orders were behind due to covid so more than one seasons stats counted as they caught up 

• Thanks 1