IGNORED

So, that second goal…

Silvio Dante

For me, that (notwithstanding the shout) was a bad call by Max to come. Video below - I don’t know exactly when he shouts keepers, but facts remain:

- It’s dropping very close to the edge of the box, and he can’t judge if it’s in or out when he comes

- He has three defenders there. You can argue they should move, but the counter argument is he can see they have it covered and are better positioned than him

- He should punch and not try and catch there once he’s come

What I think may have happened here is Max has seen the criticism of sticking to line and made a decision to come out more. Nothing wrong with that, but it was totally the wrong decision 

On a side note, I find it bizarre that most have said what Max had over Bents is ability at feet but he’s consistently gone longer and percentage balls in the last two games. Clearly instructions but is bizarre.

On the plus side, on the first goal I thought Max made a great initial save and got up for second phase quickly but was let down by defence. However, I remain unconvinced overall and don’t think he is the long term answer.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1st goal was a strange one.

Max saved us a goal but cost us a goal. Great save but poor technique, rather than palming the ball away from goal, I think it hits the base of hand and rather go away from goal goes back to the centre of goal.

I’m being picky on this.

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

For me, that (notwithstanding the shout) was a bad call by Max to come. Video below - I don’t know exactly when he shouts keepers, but facts remain:

- It’s dropping very close to the edge of the box, and he can’t judge if it’s in or out when he comes

- He has three defenders there. You can argue they should move, but the counter argument is he can see they have it covered and are better positioned than him

What I think may have happened here is Max has seen the criticism of sticking to line and made a decision to come out more. Nothing wrong with that, but it was totally the wrong decision 

On a side note, I find it bizarre that most have said what Max had over Bents is ability at feet but he’s consistently gone longer and percentage balls in the last two games. Clearly instructions but is bizarre.

On the plus side, on the first goal I thought Max made a great initial save and got up for second phase quickly but was let down by defence. However, I remain unconvinced overall and don’t think he is the long term answer.

Can’t argue with a word.

Think the point about Max trying to prove a point by being decisive in coming off his line is highly likely to be the case.

Get the impression Bentley & NP have burned their bridges & we’ll see Bajic if there is a further change between the sticks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

We have two keepers who are chalk and cheese. One pinned to the line, the other not able to stay on his line. Though both are top drawer one on one.

Max saves a penalty today.... Not even a talking point.

Not sure Afobe wanted to score to be honest. Game was won whether he scored or missed. A poor pen.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Can’t argue with a word.

Think the point about Max trying to prove a point by being decisive in coming off his line is highly likely to be the case.

Get the impression Bentley & NP have burned their bridges & we’ll see Bajic if there is a further change between the sticks.

I’m hoping to see Bajic sooner as opposed to later. For me, Max has had enough auditions.

Just now, Mad Cyril said:

We have two keepers who are chalk and cheese. One pinned to the line, the other not able to stay on his line. Though both are top drawer one on one.

Max saves a penalty today.... Not even a talking point.

It’s not a talking point because the penalty only happens because of the stage of game. If Max doesn’t do what he does on the second (and doing so kills our momentum) then the penalty scenario never arises as we’re not chasing the game with two defenders on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Or

Kalas listens to the shout from the keeper, Max catches it and we have possession?

I don’t understand how Max gets the blame.  Yes it’s a long way to come but there isn’t a Millwall player even attempting to challenge him for the ball?! Therefore it’s a perfectly acceptable decision to come and collect, and he makes the call to make everyone is aware he’s doing so. Kalas is 100% to blame for that goal not Max. 

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

I can't see Max as being at fault for either goal - the first because he had no time to recover after stretching full length for a great save; and the second because Antoine headed the ball away just as he was about to catch it. As much as I love Antoine's football most if the time, he should be far more aware when defending.

• Confused 1

Perhaps he’s listened to the criticism of Bentley not coming out for crosses and decided to be different. Unfortunately, it was a bad decision to go that far for a ball that was covered by a couple of City defenders. There is lots of criticism of Pearson about defending from set pieces, but how can he plan for Max going crazy? 

10 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

1st goal was a strange one.

Max saved us a goal but cost us a goal. Great save but poor technique, rather than palming the ball away from goal, I think it hits the base of hand and rather go away from goal goes back to the centre of goal.

I’m being picky on this.

I thought real time it was a great save but in reality as you say the ball was pushed back centrally to Bradshaw.  My view for 2nd is that if Max shouted then only if a Millwall player wins the first contact is it his fault.  All defenders should leave it once the shout made. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Atyeo's lift said:

I can't see Max as being at fault for either goal - the first because he had no time to recover after stretching full length for a great save; and the second because Antoine headed the ball away just as he was about to catch it. As much as I love Antoine's football most if the time, he should be far more aware when defending.

Antoine?!?!??

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Or

Kalas listens to the shout from the keeper, Max catches it and we have possession?

I don’t understand how Max gets the blame.  Yes it’s a long way to come but there isn’t a Millwall player even attempting to challenge him for the ball?! Therefore it’s a perfectly acceptable decision to come and collect, and he makes the call to make everyone is aware he’s doing so. Kalas is 100% to blame for that goal not Max. 

WTF. “Therefore it’s a perfectly acceptable decision to come and collect”

He didn’t, yet you blame kalas! Dear oh dear 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

WTF. “Therefore it’s a perfectly acceptable decision to come and collect”

He didn’t, yet you blame kalas! Dear oh dear 

Watch it back he’s literally about to catch it and Kalas leaps across him and heads it away before it reaches him! If he listens to the shout it goes right into the keepers hands

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Keeper is dogshit, should of stuck to cricket. Had 4/5 different chances to take number 1 as his own over the past 4 years and has failed every time (stop living off of Villa away). Just because he is a youth player doesn’t mean we have to love him - Jojo was better ?

May seem harsh, but the bloke will never in a million miles play at this level for a different club.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Watch it back he’s literally about to catch it and Kalas leaps across him and heads it away before it reaches him! If he listens to the shout it goes right into the keepers hands

Why the **** is he coming that far out for a ball when 3 defenders can clear it!?!?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, rednotblue said:

Absolute howler from Max

He doesnt even make it to the ball

I blame Person.

Dropping Bentley is a ridiculous decision. He had one bad game. Never mind how many times he has saved us single handed and got us a draw or even a 3 points.

Max is just not good enough at this level.

To say he is better than Bentley is mental.

Give home 2 more games and he will be dropped again.

So far he’s conceded 3 in 2 by the time he gets to 4 games that will be circa 10.

Better than Bentley? It’s just mental to say that. 

Bentley may have some faults but he is one of the top 3 keepers we have had I the last 20 years.

As for Max he is L1 only reason he is the squad is he is cheap and most managers know he will never play.

Dont blame Max blame Pearson.

If it’s about the contract drop all the others that are out of contract in the summer

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Mr Hankey said:

Why the **** is he coming that far out for a ball when 3 defenders can clear it!?!?

Keepers can’t win can they. Piss and moan when they don’t come out. Piss and moan when they do. He wasn’t under any challenge from the opposition, so why not come and collect. Only our own defenders causing us problems here

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m 100% behind nige. However his interview after the game was strange . He said it wasn’t max fault & also said it was a positive mistake unlike (paraphrasing ) Birmingham . It’s like he’s dug Bentley out again & also backed himself into a corner. If Bentley was dropped for one bad game then surely has to drop max for his mistake . He’s made a rod for his own back there 

Just now, Dredd said:

Rubbish. He’s under no pressure from the opposition. 

He simply didn't need to be that far away from his goal. Anything ***** up then - it needn't be the keeper's fault - and your opponents can pass into an empty net. 

Come to the edge of your area only if you've got no defenders to collect the ball.

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Because he didn't have to. 

You really only should be that far off your line as the last resort if there is no other way to prevent a certain goal.

That wasn't the case today.

Robbo you seem to be saying that no keeper should ever come to the edge of their box unless to save a certain goal?

With respect to a very good poster, that is a ridiculous opinion

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Keepers can’t win can they. Piss and moan when they don’t come out. Piss and moan when they do. He wasn’t under any challenge from the opposition, so why not come and collect. Only our own defenders causing us problems here

I do a bit of coaching, and I absolutely encourage my keeper to come whenever practical, but also tell them to be mindful of the game around them. What the issue here was not that Max came for the ball, but that he came for it when he could clearly see defenders had the situation under control.

I’d haul my under 11s keeper out for that decision. For a championship keeper it’s unforgivable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Robbo you seem to be saying that no keeper should ever come to the edge of their box unless to save a certain goal?

With respect to a very good poster, that is a ridiculous opinion

I really don't think a keeper needs to come when there are multiple defenders there to dampen any potential threat. You ask for trouble by doing so.

Pearson's post match comments make clear he didn't necessarily agree with O'Leary's judgement and thought if you are going to make that call you punch it, not try to catch it. 

• Like 1