IGNORED

Manchester Utd "Fans"

Port Said Red

I am taking my wife to see Robbie Williams in Manchester tonight (all sympathy gratefully received :l) The hotel we are staying in is full, it's about 1/4 of a mile from the venue. The thing is, it's not all Robbie fans, a large number of the people here have Utd shirts or scarves etc, confirming that age old conception that most of their fans don't come from Manchester at all. 

• Hmmm 1

As Selred has said at least they go. I have no issue with fans like this it's more the ones that claim to be massive fans but have never been in there lives .

Also if it shows that the majority of fans aren't from Manchester it must be a bloody huge hotel at old Trafford is 80k plus, so guessing there must be a good 60k with you to prove your point? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grifty said:

Having lived in the centre of Manchester for 3 years, I can assure you on a home match day, every pub and bar is full of United fans. If Man City are at home, it was a ghost town.

When we played both teams in the cup had 100 times more interest in tickets for the United game 

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am taking my wife to see Robbie Williams in Manchester tonight (all sympathy gratefully received :l) The hotel we are staying in is full, it's about 1/4 of a mile from the venue. The thing is, it's not all Robbie fans, a large number of the people here have Utd shirts or scarves etc, confirming that age old conception that most of their fans don't come from Manchester at all. 

Robbie Williams: ‘LEEET MEEEEE ENTERTAIN YOU’

Me after Robs had 25 years to do so: ‘In your own time Rob, in your own time’

• Like 1

They probably travelled up on the Tottenham coaches and needed somewhere discrete to change their tops.

• Haha 3

I am taking my wife to see Robbie Williams in Manchester tonight (all sympathy gratefully received :l) The hotel we are staying in is full, it's about 1/4 of a mile from the venue. The thing is, it's not all Robbie fans, a large number of the people here have Utd shirts or scarves etc, confirming that age old conception that most of their fans don't come from Manchester at all. 

Blimey, must be a massive hotel, how many rooms 30/40 thousand?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

So.... you're in Manchester at a gig... and there's loads of people wearing man u shirts and you're assuming that none of them are Mancunian ? What am I missing

3 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

You only have to look at the amount of coaches that head up from the south west that a lot of there support is away from Manchester 

from what I read on a previous post from here there away support is totally different 

Yes it is , I have been to a few utd games mainly in London loads of mancs 

I've heard similar stories about other clubs. An elderly relative of mine said that in the 50s when he went to Ashton Gate one week and Eastville the next, Eastville was full of fans from North and East Bristol and that was about it, Ashton on the other hand had accents from Bristol, Somerset, Bath, Wiltshire etc.

A good friend who is a Sheffield Wednesday fan said it is well known that most people in Sheffield are United fans, however, Wednesday draw support from a wider geographical area including many smaller Yorkshire towns.

Overseas, in Turin, Torino are known as the most popular team in the city, however, Juventus have supporters' clubs all over Italy who travel to matches.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't see any issues with that

8 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

So.... you're in Manchester at a gig... and there's loads of people wearing man u shirts and you're assuming that none of them are Mancunian ? What am I missing

No I am assuming that the ones booking into the hotel are not Mancunian.

By the way as a last note on this, here is an exchange from the gig last night when Robbie picked out a lady in the crowd.

Robbie: I keep seeing your smile and it's great, what's your name?

Lady: Tracy 

Robbie: Where have you come from Tonight? 

Tracy: Portsmouth 

Robbie: ****! That's a long way isn't it?

Robbie: Ah well, you can probably get a lift back with the Man U fans. :)

Big cheer and a round of applause from the crowd. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't think this is that surprising really. They're a massive club - in terms of reputation they're probably the biggest in the UK and on a global scale arguably are in the top 3 biggest alongside Real Madrid and Barcelona.

It would be a bit weird if people didn't travel to see them. 

• Like 1

There are a hell of a lot who travel. I used to travel regularly for work and stay at a hotel in Salford Quays. I got to know the Man U home game schedule because on those days I'd never be able to book a room and I'd crash on the floor of my mate's flat off Victoria Square instead. 

13 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Hope he's better than he was on Strictly the other night. Another one like 'Rod' that just can't sing anymore. 

42 minutes ago, bpexile said:

He came to Oz & did our AFL Grand Final & although I'm not a huge fan glad to say he was brilliant ? 

At the risk of getting this moved into the General Chat forum (probably should be really). I have never felt he was a top vocalist anyway, he's a good showman and can hold a tune, and in my opinion he hasn't got any worse. Having lived with a Robbie fan for his whole career the songs are generally easy enough on the ear, the two exceptions are Come Undone which is startingly good and could potentially make it into my top 100 songs, and Candy which is almost unlistenable and had me covering my ears. 

Anyway, of the 21000 there I would say 99% that had a great time, 0.9 of us found it a good night and then there was the girl in front of us who spent the night on Instagram and Whatsapp and barely looked at the stage. :)

Edited by Port Said Red