IGNORED

That bloody tractor song

1960maaan

3 hours ago, KnowleUtd City said:

I can't understand why our lot would sing a song calling ourselves a 'F****** W***** at the end, truly bizarre. 

Maybe I'm missing something. 

It should be ‘And i can drive a tractor’ at the end instead of ‘F****** W******* ‘but i think some of our lot haven’t realised that..

Anyway Plenty of clubs have songs that banter themselves.  
Leeds sing ‘’Leeds are falling apart again’’ Man United fans sing ‘’who the **** are Man United’’ 

I think the tractor song is decent to be honest and as others have said it was being sung donkeys years ago on the East end so its nothing new…

Edited by Bris Red

10 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

It should be ‘And i can drive a tractor’ at the end instead of ‘F****** W******* ‘but i think some of our lot haven’t realised that..

Anyway Plenty of clubs have songs that banter themselves.  
Leeds sing ‘’Leeds are falling apart again’’ Man United fans sing ‘’who the **** are Man United’’ 

I think the tractor song is decent to be honest and as others have said it was being sung donkeys years ago on the East end so its nothing new…

Leeds and Man United sing those songs when they are winning games to be ironic.

I get self-deprecation, but calling ourselves F******* W******* seems embarrassing to me. 

I stood on the East End from 1985 and I can't ever remember us singing that, just heard Millwall singing it at us mainly. 

Most of the songs I hear our lot sing now make me cringe, but each to their own I guess.

• Like 4

I think it's hilarious and always join in when I hear it. Any mate I've brought to Ashton Gate have left saying that chant was their favourite and unique to us. Ultimately its all about having fun and not taking yourself too seriously.

Fair enough on those who dislike this chant and prefer the more traditional ones as I understand the rationale why.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If you think the City songs don’t make sense, what do you make of this? 

I am glad you posted that, as I don't think I have ever seen the lyrics before.

I always thought it was 'Get up in the morning, baked beans for breakfast'

And then the chorus, 'Ooh, Ooh, me ears are alight'.

As they say, every day is a school day.

Slaving for bread Sir

• Haha 1

On 20/10/2022 at 14:03, 1960maaan said:

Great that we have started singing it back, well played. 

Not new though, we used to sing it on the East End donkeys years ago. But now the words are a bit shit.
I heard people sing...

I can't read & I can't write
But I can drive a tractor
Im a Bristol City Fan
and I can drive a Tractor

OK, and I've only listened from distance, but come on. How about going back to what we used to sing, proper Bristol.

I cassent read, I cassent write
But that don't really matter (don't pronounce the T's and emphasis on the R , obviously)
Cus I comes up from Somerset 
and I can drive a Tractor ( pronounced Track-ter )

The Old ones are the best.

Thank you for your time.

:thumbsup:

Is this actually a post… Jesus how much time on your hands and talking about the pronunciation. Have a rest mate. Worst post I’ve ever seen.  

• Sad 1

On 20/10/2022 at 14:12, TheRedHalf said:

I think you may have misheard the latest lyrics, either that or the people you were near have made it more PG.

The current song goes more like...

I can't read & I can't write
But I can drive a tractor
cus Im a Bristol City Fan
and Im a f*****g w****r

Yes wtf would we sing that about ourselves ?

7 hours ago, mightyreds89 said:

Is this actually a post… Jesus how much time on your hands and talking about the pronunciation. Have a rest mate. Worst post I’ve ever seen.  

Thanks for your concern over how I spend my time.
It was clearly a jokey post, plus it's not me going back to a post from October to get annoyed.
I would add I've probably posted much worse.

8 hours ago, Boston Red said:

I remember going to the New Den in 2000 and losing 4-1. Alex Meechan tapped in after a Peter Beadle screamer from 35 yards hit the bar. The Millwall fans were singing it even then. When was the original written?

Ive seen us play millwall loads of time home and away... First time ever was the home game that season id say cus all they normally sang was the monks chant or no one likes us..... So around 99

10 hours ago, archie andrews said:

rather hear that being sung than that awful ole ole ole ole shite

Despite that being a fairly generic template, we actually sing it in a unique way through the final syllable going up in “City”.

Not many clubs sing any version of that template full stop, so I personally quite like that one.

• Like 1

I like to see a comeback for the old "Bur IStol, ... Bur IStol" chant. (remember there is only OTIB before anybody complains)

Actually, that one would be a good one to immediately follow the tractor song, to show we are more proud of the West Country, and not so much of being w*******   :laugh:

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Buckeyed said:

I thought the point of singing "F****** W*****" was in the same vein as when Cardiff/Swansea sing along to "Sheep Sh**ing B*****ds, we know what we are". It's more of a sign that we don't care about their song to us.

Literally can't see how people are failing to realise this... ?‍♂️

I am sure it used to be ....

I can't read,and I can't write 

But that don't really matter

Cos I comes from the West Country 

And I can drive a tratter

20 hours ago, SecretSam said:

Can't say I'm a fan, I've spent my life convincing people that being from Bristol doesn't mean that I'm a carrot crunching yokel.

I had that shit on the old Rivals board from an Ipswich fan once.

As I pointed out to him, the hillier and more verdant West Country is mainly a livestock-rearing area. Vegetable-growing mainly takes place in the flatter, drier eastern counties - like Suffolk, where all ******* Ipswich fans come from!