IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

40 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

I will say that I find this tournament on a clearly higher plane. Talent has been grown by almost every nation, even from the Euros. The standard of play is far better than ever, particularly the tempo. The physical side is also at its greatest emphasis. It's my suspicion that the foul count is also at a peak too, perhaps no coincidence.

Who are the favourites now? The USA are looking uncertain to many's surprise; France and Germany have not really picked up; Japan are perhaps the most impressive thus far; England are just beginning to show the real form - hopefully more to come. Moreover, the world has gained much more in terms of a sporting contest. Given there are a few trouncings, the undeniable feel of this World Cup is that there are no clear favourites and the 'usual suspects' are going to have to dig even deeper than ever to lift the trophy. There are no easy games in <Women's> international football!

I think winning 6-1 today would say otherwise, though I think the standard has been a lot better than I thought overall standard is definitely better but there have been several games where a team have been outclassed so there are still some easy games in women's international football same as the men.

16 hours ago, Erithacus said:

You'll need a new flag this season, Shahan. We're all at the Gate (excepting Conti Cup games!).

Keep waving, we'll keep watching.

I discussed this with the co-creator of the flag, and we agreed to keep the flag as it is to honour the RHPC.

The flag is packed away now ready for Saturday 

11 hours ago, phantom said:

I guess much of that is down to the ever expanding number of teams competing. 

What is refreshing is how sides are visibly improving and can only mean a good thing for the smaller nations 

It wasn't that long ago that many male international fixtures were very one sided 

Absolutely, the improvement in standards has been astonishing over the last few years. True enough about the men's game, I remember England knocking 8 past Turkey in the 1980s - and the women's game is improving much faster.

11 hours ago, phantom said:

It's certainly shaping up to be a cracking knock out phase - just a shame that Portuguese effort hit the post in injury time against USA 

Gutted, likewise. Not least because that USA kit is absolutely foul.

• Like 2

What a story! Jamaica'a Reggae Girls were the team they tried to bury. Hamstrung by internal politics and withdrawn funding it was a minor miracle they even boarded a plane for the big show. And now they have not only made their mark but made it out of the group at the expense of Brazil. This Women's World Cup is turning out to be full of good football and gripping narratives.

Meanwhile the South Africans are also through, putting Argentina and Italy on the bus home. There is a tangible sense of change about the established world orders, and the tears are either joy or despair, depending on the results.

• Like 1

Wow! Crazy end to Group H. Who saw that coming?

Germany rolled Morrocco over 6-0 in the first game but it's Columbia and Morrocco who will go on - the Germans are on the bus home.

Alex Popp was the clear leader for Germany but she was part of a side that did not gel well enough and looked short of ideas - and when have we said that about them? The Koreans were incessant, swarm-like, with non-stop tracking and tackling.

This Women's World Cup has seen many firsts and the old order has shifted. What a story.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Germany gone 

First round, Germany 6 Morocco 0.

Germany out, Morocco progress.

You do never know, but the draw seems on paper to have worked out well for England. Nigeria next then winner of Colombia and Jamaica for semi final. Then most likely France.

Lots of teams that have done well, Japan, Spain, Netherlands, Sweden (plus USA) all in the other half.

I fancy Nigeria, Jamiaca, Australia then USA as like some sort of post-colonial tour…

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 1

Interesting to note that 4 pts was not good enough for most teams this tournament, but South Africa and Norway (only on GD from New Zealand) got out of their groups.

Also noting that England, Japan and Sweden won all three group games.

• Admin

Fifa Women's World Cup last-16 TV schedule (all times BST)

Saturday 5 August - Spain v Switzerland (06:00) - BBC

Saturday 5 August - Japan v Norway (09:00) - ITV

Sunday 6 August - Netherlands v South Africa (03:00) - BBC

Sunday 6 August - USA v Sweden (10:00) - ITV

Monday 7 August - England v Nigeria (08:30) - BBC

Monday 7 August - Australia v Denmark (11:30) - BBC

Tuesday 8 August - Colombia v Jamaica (09:00) - ITV

Tuesday 8 August - Morocco v France (12:00) - BBC

• Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Germany gone 

This was interesting news to see once I landed back in Heathrow.

14 hours ago, phantom said:

Fifa Women's World Cup last-16 TV schedule (all times BST)

Saturday 5 August - Spain v Switzerland (06:00) - BBC

Saturday 5 August - Japan v Norway (09:00) - ITV

Sunday 6 August - Netherlands v South Africa (03:00) - BBC

Sunday 6 August - USA v Sweden (10:00) - ITV

Monday 7 August - England v Nigeria (08:30) - BBC

Monday 7 August - Australia v Denmark (11:30) - BBC

Tuesday 8 August - Colombia v Jamaica (09:00) - ITV

Tuesday 8 August - Morocco v France (12:00) - BBC

Now that I'm back in the UK, I can now relate and get up early to watch some games...

• Like 1

The drama goes on. Sweden put out the USA on penalties. USA were by far the better team in the game but didn't take their chances and the Swedish keeper had a blinder. After extra time the penalty shoot out was full of drama. After Sweden's third player missed USA star had a chance to make it 4-2 but blazed over. At 4-3 to the USA they again had the chance to win it but Smith blazed high and wide and 20 Yr old Bennison who plays for Everton women made it 4-4. Up steps another double world cup winner for the USA who hits the post. Sweden now have chance to win it. The kick us taken, the keeper saves but it spins behind her and VAR rules it crossed the line, which it did by about a 16th of an inch. Couldn't script it better.