IGNORED

Ronnie Radford.

pillred

For anyone too young to know who he is go onto You tube and google his name and watch one of the greatest ever FA cup goals, he played for Hereford utd and they were playing Newcastle in the 3rd round in 1972 he sadly passed away today but leaves an indelible mark on FA cup history RIP Ronnie and thanks for the memory.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Remember watching that goal on my VHS tape of 100 great goals I got for Christmas. COYR 

When we got our first VCR (VHS I’ll have you know too!) we went to the local video rental store, my bruv hired the Who “Kids are alright”, and I hired a compilation of the 1972 FA Cup run.  Must’ve been early 80s.  That goal was on it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Don't forget the delights of The Bull being paraded around beforehand....

I think Hereford away was my first - certainly among my first - away games back in the early to mid 80's. The bull was the raffle prize (at least when I was there) and didn't seem to mind being gobbed on my some of our more moronic 'fans'.

3 hours ago, REDOXO said:

There never was or never will be ever a strike as clean as that!!

Top bloke Ronnie Radford 

Jimmy Mann's against Forest must be there or thereabouts surely?

As others have said, Ronnie's goal in the FA Cup with a young John Motson on commentary is iconic.

First time I went to Edgar St with City, I was imagining Ronnie's Radford's goal in front of me!

16 minutes ago, pillred said:

I was in the ground that day when Jimmy Mann scored that goal along with the other 60,000 who seem to have all been there as well: laugh it was an amazing strike though a real one in a million.

I was too…in the open end.  I’m so glad that the footage of it was found and restored.  I can overlay the colour over the b@w in my mind when I watch it.  A beauty.

• Like 1

If the net hadn't been in the way, I would've headed it back....albeit with severe concussion/knockout.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I was too…in the open end.  I’m so glad that the footage of it was found and restored.  I can overlay the colour over the b@w in my mind when I watch it.  A beauty.

• Haha 2

On 02/11/2022 at 20:26, REDOXO said:

There never was or never will be ever a strike as clean as that!!

Top bloke Ronnie Radford 

On 03/11/2022 at 00:19, Norn Iron said:

Jimmy Mann's against Forest must be there or thereabouts surely?

As others have said, Ronnie's goal in the FA Cup with a young John Motson on commentary is iconic.

First time I went to Edgar St with City, I was imagining Ronnie's Radford's goal in front of me!

On 03/11/2022 at 08:41, BTRFTG said:

Try Pedro Richards at AG, 75/76, the Saturday after we'd won promotion to the top flight.

I was at both games. Which makes us all gentlemen of a certain age range. 

I was sat , luckily for me in the Dolman right in line with Jimmy’s hit. Screamer  with no doubt and probably the best strike seen at AG. I saw a recording was found. The two goals are very comparable of course, but Radford was running on to a knock back. If I remember Jimmy had the ball at his feet before he hit it. Not that makes a difference. I’ll call it a tie for the cleanliness of the strike as I don’t think Jimmys was better nor worse. 

The Saturday after Portsmouth we played Notts County if memory serves. What I remember is losing and running on the pitch. It also struck me that there was a lot more terrace space compared to the Portsmouth game and have no recollection of their goal!

Edited by REDOXO

29 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I was sat , luckily for me in the Dolman right in line with Jimmy’s hit. Screamer  with no doubt and probably the best strike seen at AG. I saw a recording was found. The two goals are very comparable of course, but Radford was running on to a knock back. If I remember Jimmy had the ball at his feet before he hit it. Not that makes a difference. I’ll call it a tie for the cleanliness of the strike as I don’t think Jimmys was better nor worse. 

The Saturday after Portsmouth we played Notts County if memory serves. What I remember is losing and running on the pitch. It also struck me that there was a lot more terrace space compared to the Portsmouth game and have no recollection of their goal!

Joe Bryan’s goal v Man Utd was the purest strike I’ve witnessed live.

Top 4 goals I’ve ever seen live, in no order.

Bryan v Man Utd

Mann v Forest

Newman v Newport

Tomlin v Huddersfield (or was it Wednesday?)

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Joe Bryan’s goal v Man Utd was the purest strike I’ve witnessed live.

Top 4 goals I’ve ever seen live, in no order.

Bryan v Man Utd

Mann v Forest

Newman v Newport

Tomlin v Huddersfield (or was it Wednesday?)

Yes he hit that well didn’t he. You knew he was going to hit it as he made the little stutter steps. 

Tomlin hit a ball really neatly and with power, pity about that penalty. I believe there was a dressing room melt down at the end of the game. 

• Like 1

On 05/11/2022 at 12:53, REDOXO said:

Pedro Richards stonked a straight one at Cashley from about the halfway line toward the East End. Ball didn't swerve. Super Cash (sic) put both arms up to catch it and it sailed through the gap. Stupendous strike.

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Pedro Richards stonked a straight one at Cashley from about the halfway line toward the East End. Ball didn't swerve. Super Cash (sic) put both arms up to catch it and it sailed through the gap. Stupendous strike.

I was on the open end that day. Kinda might explain it!