IGNORED

"Nige Should Walk"

1 minute ago, OliOTIB said:

Mark vanishes whenever we do well and has been knives out for Nige after the half season of the mess he inherited.

If you if ignore the first season - which no manager would have managed any better with a squad already on holiday and a toxic culture - it's closer to 33-34%.

By no means great, but the last City manager with the same remit (wage cutting - and no where near as stark a proportion) saw us Relegated.

Nige very well may get sacked - but I point the overall finger at the Board.

No point having the money if you blow it multiple times bloating the wage bill with sh*te. This isn't the first rodeo under SL.

• Like 12

Beyond fuming with that steaming pile of crap. Waited two and a half years to watch City after being stuck abroad and I get the Millwall debacle and now this. Year after year, we are served up drivel from players that can’t even do the basics right. We could sack Nigel but we’ve got people in higher positions that don’t have a clue, so what difference would it make?

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Just now, Super said:

It's really a nightmare fixture. They have class going forward. Things could get ugly on Saturday. 

2 wins from 13 games WTF we now have to battle the brute force of Watford with our bright young things and well tuned defence ok will be interesting

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

Beyond fuming with that steaming pile of crap. Waited two and a half years to watch City after being stuck abroad and I get the Millwall debacle and now this. Year after year, we are served up drivel from players that can’t even do the basics right. We could sack Nigel but we’ve got people in higher positions that don’t have a clue, so what difference would it make?

Spot right on, same engine driver = same destination. Bring back Cotts

17 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

It's the Mickey Mouse cup with a second string team, who cares, the league is what we need to worry about and I think we are doing about as good as we can in the league with the tools we have.

A strong element of truth in what you say. 

Would be nice if the club told fans before buying tickets that they aren't treating the competition seriously. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I'm seriously not fishing here but what are the deep issues?

I appreciate that we aren't in a great place financially, but the same can be said for more than 80% of clubs in the football league.

Fortunately we have a chairman that has built an incredible infrastructure and continues to bail us out every season.

Mark Ashton has left and we appointed Pearson nearly 2 years ago and yet we have seen zero improvement. 

Defensively we are embarrassing and apart from a few promising performances early on this season, we have generally been very poor.

I'm honestly not sure what the answer is, but Nige has to shoulder most of the blame and even his most ardent followers must see that?

For me personally, we’ve massively overspent on average championship players , in many wars we’ve gambled on reaching the premier league with the likes of Kalas , Bentley, DaSilva & Fam. We’ve paid high wages for those players and are not going to see these guys leave on a free (like several did last season). I’m making an assumption here but many clubs in the league (apart from those with parachute payments don’t really offer the wages we do as demonstrated by the comments about Naismith joining from Luton). As you say the structure off the pitch is there , on the pitch we’ve never got it right - the problem is bigger than Pearson, it’s been there longer than his tenure and will likely still be there when Pearson leaves which he’s commented on - it’s at the top of the club that has to be put right and it will flow down. Otherwise he’s repeat, repeat , repeat but with a different manager 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Tafkarmlf said:

Been out at a gig tonight hence earlier post at 0-3.

Anyone at the game confirm if there was any good. 

Most places bar here  I've seen are screaming for Nigel to go. 

What's the answer ?? 

Once we had made all the subs and had the side on the pitch that should have started the game we looked a lots better got 1 and could easily have had another but by them the damage was done, 

41 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Sadly the problems are far deeper than just replacing the manager

Very much this.

The clueless berks who run our club are culpable for the decline - I’m simply not having this “we’re lucky to have him” mantra re Lansdown one minute longer. All he’s interested in is his poxy rugby club.

We are in a sorry state.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, red panda said:

The current Hibs manager might be available shortly

'Bloated squad with no identity'

FT: Hibernian 0-2 Ross County

The squad at Easter Road is too big, it doesn't have a great deal of soul or identity and that is a major issue. They've brought in a cast of thousands and you can rattle off a long list of players who offer very little

Quote from the BBC, rings a bell…

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Very much this.

The clueless berks who run our club are culpable for the decline - I’m simply not having this “we’re lucky to have him” mantra re Lansdown one minute longer. All he’s interested in is his poxy rugby club.

We are in a sorry state.

Sparkle Yes GIF by hannahgraphix

8 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We’re still clearing up the mess from Ashtons tenure . 

We are definitely still cleaning up the mess but I always felt Pearson was not getting the most from what he has. The more time goes on I am convinced he is getting closer to the least he can from it.

If we had tried different formations and different players in different roles and it didn’t work I think I could so much easier say it is personnel. It is not the case though. It is this rigid 352 343 thing where we ask 2 non defensive midfielders screen the defence. We ask 2 wingbacks to defend as first priority. We force out of form Weimann everywhere except up front after a 20 goal season(more forward last season than this whether he has been asked or the style just does not allow it could be a separate debate). Persisting with Martin who offers nothing anymore. It is all just chuck the same thing out there and hope for something different. At the minute we are relying on Scott, Conway and Wells to create enough magic to mask our defensive deficiencies.

To me it is all a jumbled mess and NP has no clue how to fix it. Bloke has a 30% win rate in near 200 games since he left Leicester. He spent loads at Leicester to get promoted. In the range of 10-15m and this was 10 years ago. Even if you believe with resources he can improve us, he won’t be getting near that any time soon here. 

I am sorry I don’t want to turn this into a pissing contest with people who support NP. He just is not doing anything to sway me back his direction. I don’t care about right or wrong I just want to see city do well. So if he can turn this around I’d be thrilled to say I was wrong but he has to buck up his ideas over this WC break. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I appreciate that we aren't in a great place financially, but the same can be said for more than 80% of clubs in the football league.

Fortunately we have a chairman that has built an incredible infrastructure and continues to bail us out every season.

Mark Ashton has left and we appointed Pearson nearly 2 years ago and yet we have seen zero improvement. 

Defensively we are embarrassing and apart from a few promising performances early on this season, we have generally been very poor.

I'm honestly not sure what the answer is, but Nige has to shoulder most of the blame and even his most ardent followers must see that?

Good an true post 

Appreciate the financial and squad messes he dealt with post Ashton, and he did well to steer us through that without a relegation. But we’re 20th and have just been outplayed by a middling League 1 team and he has a win rate below 30%. Right on the precipice for me now. Saturday is must win.

Edited by BCFCGav
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, glynriley said:

'Bloated squad with no identity'

FT: Hibernian 0-2 Ross County

The squad at Easter Road is too big, it doesn't have a great deal of soul or identity and that is a major issue. They've brought in a cast of thousands and you can rattle off a long list of players who offer very little

Quote from the BBC, rings a bell…

I knew Hibs were on a losing streak, strange that.. but assumed that Ross County (h) would be a lucky break for LJ like he had hear a couple of times here (Rotherham (h) when they were the just about the worst Championship team ever) but they just lost 0-2....

1 hour ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Sadly the problems are far deeper than just replacing the manager

Whilst I agree with this, and I also instinctively like Nige, if we slip into the relegation zone I don't see how Lansdown can not pull the trigger. 

My issue with Nige is that he plays a lot of players out of position and often line ups baffle me (sometimes we then play well).

People rightly talk about the mess he inherited, but he also inherited a golden generation of young talent and Andi Weimann's discovery of superpowers. 

I think we need at least a point on the weekend to settle the nerves. We feel like we're one more bad defeat away from a meltdown. 

A good run would restore my faith in Big Nige and I hope we get that.

• Like 1

I am not happy about tonight but I always find the whole “one game to turn it around” concept utterly ridiculous. 

Either the board* have confidence in the manager or they don’t. If they do then the manager should stay. If they don’t, the manager should go. But I don’t really buy into the idea of a board that “don’t have confidence in the manager but suddenly will if he wins the next game”, especially when there is then a prolonged wait for our next fixture.

I’m not calling for Pearson’s head but, if a board are thinking the manager should go, then he should go and they shouldn’t be arbitrarily changing their minds based off one fixture.

I absolutely understand why a horrific defeat might hasten a decision to sack a manager who is already struggling but any board that is planning to sack a manager but arbitrarily sets a single game as a test of that decision is weak and spineless and deserves everything it gets.

*I realise this whole “decide after Saturday’s result” nonsense is the view of the OP and not the board but, as the board would make any decision, I’m referring to them as the decision makers.

• Like 13

26 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

From my perspective the deeper issues (accepting that some are not unique to us) include:

The previous manager and CE - who IMO were given far too much authority to bring in loads of average/poor players. NP takes a very different position preferring (and partly having to) manage with a small squad.

Our wage structure - NP has sought to create a more equitable wage structure as apparently he inherited a very diverse range of salaries, including some excessive earners.

Our lack of identity and style of play - under LJ it was a lotto week in week out in terms of team selection, again NP has a very different approach e.g. play well and you keep your place.

As you mention our FFP dilemma and the general state of the financial side of Championship clubs which has been compounded by Covid and has required us to sell our best players and grow our own.

The Club culture which has been remarked upon +++ just recently NP spoke about ‘what a nice Club’ we have been. I believe NP has worked hard to turn this around, however, lasting  culture change takes years and years to become embedded.

The Board and major shareholder - who have demonstrated the ability to repeat mistakes and despite building an impressive infrastructure haven’t been able to create a consistent/ successful first team squad.

Our location and history - both of which I believe are barriers to attracting players. 

Realistically turning around a Club like ours takes years - something NP and many fans appreciate. Part of the problem, of course, is that we all want to watch great football and follow a winning team!  

• Like 17
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, daored said:

For me personally, we’ve massively overspent on average championship players , in many wars we’ve gambled on reaching the premier league with the likes of Kalas , Bentley, DaSilva & Fam. We’ve paid high wages for those players and are not going to see these guys leave on a free (like several did last season). I’m making an assumption here but many clubs in the league (apart from those with parachute payments don’t really offer the wages we do as demonstrated by the comments about Naismith joining from Luton). As you say the structure off the pitch is there , on the pitch we’ve never got it right - the problem is bigger than Pearson, it’s been there longer than his tenure and will likely still be there when Pearson leaves which he’s commented on - it’s at the top of the club that has to be put right and it will flow down. Otherwise he’s repeat, repeat , repeat but with a different manager 

As Albert Einstein once commented Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results

• Like 1