IGNORED

How Low Can You Go…

Silvio Dante

8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

I think Pearson has taken a very pragmatic view to setting up the team. Play people you can trust and build a formation around them and create a team ethos.

Last night may well prove be a big turning point in the Season. I don’t believe he feels he can now ‘trust’ the likes of Sykes, Martin, King anymore, possibly even Jay, Klose and Semenyo. All these have put in way too many sub-par performances and can’t even get the basics of their jobs right. 

I think we might be down to no more than 10-11 who he can have confidence in. So, suspect, formation will now be adapted but we’re down to the absolute bones of a team. Worrying times.

I agree, but the most worrying thing for me - and I apologise to those who think this is just another attempt to denigrate Pearson - is that for some reason a) they don’t appear to be playing for the manager, and b) the manager seems unable to do anything about it.  These are all professional footballers, some internationals; it’s clearly not a lack of ability that is seeing them underperform, so what is it?  Klose looked utterly reliable last season, now he looks a shadow of that player, so what has changed?  It comes to something when Zak Vyner, the butt of so much criticism on this forum, now appears to be the one player we can trust.  But the real question is why the players are not performing to their full ability, and that is a question that should be directed to the manager.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Semenyo will be fine after the World Cup when he is playing to **** off.

If only. 

Another, I suspect, who might be ‘doing a Fammy’.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if his agent has an arranged deal. Injuries, further loss of form, all the usual stuff to see out the remaining months of the contract. At least we’re being spared, with Semenyo, the staged photos by road signs and cider barrels or whatever, in the thinly-veiled attempt to keep the fans on board during this end-of-contract process. 

Football stinks sometimes. 

The likes of Wells - while well-rewarded during his time here - is a shining beacon of professionalism. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This isn’t a post slating Joe Low.

The point here is watching the game I recall the following:

Minute One: Ball comes to Low, big hoof up the pitch

Just after first goal: skinned by winger. Let him run past, didn’t engage or make a tackle

Multiple poor touches and pressured

The obvious error

The booking. It was telegraphed - touch was poor and gave the opportunity for the Lincoln player. Joe banged the turf in frustration afterwards - he knew he was having a mare.

So, my question is twofold:

- Did Pearson make a rick by leaving him on past 15 minutes, it was clear he was gone before then

- How much responsibility is specifically on Klose and King as senior pros - I don’t think they helped him much when it was clear that he was gone - did anyone else see it that way?

Joe Low has been around for a while and needs to be given chances he's not a rookie 18 year old he's had a couple of loans, he's 20 nearly 21 and he's physically big enough.  

That being said he blew it, bottled it in a fairly insignificant cup match.  Also though we're not flush with defenders so it was conversely a good idea to throw him in.  

You have to feel sorry for Low, he's a victim of Pearson's reluctance to let players go out on loan.

Low should be out on loan playing league 2 football and gaining experience, instead he's here and getting thrown in before he's ready because of injuries, illness and the lack of an option 2.

Was surprised by Bajic who looks way off.

Kadji was exposed in midfield, got no help at all from King who should alongside Martin be left out to pasture now, neither are good enough anymore.

Sykes' confidence is clearly shot, don't think Pearson has helped there either, Dasilva is another who seems to be have no confidence.

We should've gone strong in the 1st half, won the game and then introduced the youngsters into a winning confident atmosphere.

I can't see what Pearson is bringing to party, with everyone else picking up points and results we are only heading in one direction at the moment.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A Darkwood Red said:

You have to feel sorry for Low, he's a victim of Pearson's reluctance to let players go out on loan.

Low should be out on loan playing league 2 football and gaining experience, instead he's here and getting thrown in before he's ready because of injuries, illness and the lack of an option 2.

Was surprised by Bajic who looks way off.

Kadji was exposed in midfield, got no help at all from King who should alongside Martin be left out to pasture now, neither are good enough anymore.

Sykes' confidence is clearly shot, don't think Pearson has helped there either, Dasilva is another who seems to be have no confidence.

We should've gone strong in the 1st half, won the game and then introduced the youngsters into a winning confident atmosphere.

I can't see what Pearson is bringing to party, with everyone else picking up points and results we are only heading in one direction at the moment.

Agree with a lot of the post, but a constant stream of loans is not the way forward. We need earlier results. You’re either good enough or not. We can no longer financially afford to support players until they are 24/25 in the hope they will make it.

We also don’t want a mentality in the Academy squad that you can have a professional contract with us beyond 21 or 22 if you haven’t broken into the first team squad. We need to drop this being a ‘nice’ Club and start being ruthless, like the rest. Ok, we may end up losing a ‘gem’ for every 60 odd players that leave but, conversely, disposing of players frees the budget up for a scouting system that can spot players elsewhere in the football pyramid that have greater potential than some of our own. 

Using our ‘traditional’ approach the likes of Conway and Scott would now be on loan out at Newport, Grimsby or Ross County and the likes instead of being the two most outstanding players we have in our first team. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Agree with a lot of the post, but a constant stream of loans is not the way forward. We need earlier results. You’re either good enough or not. We can no longer financially afford to support players until they are 24/25 in the hope they will make it.

We also don’t want a mentality in the Academy squad that you can have a professional contract with us beyond 21 or 22 if you haven’t broken into the first team squad. We need to drop this being a ‘nice’ Club and start being ruthless, like the rest. Ok, we may end up losing a ‘gem’ for every 60 odd players that leave but, conversely, disposing of players frees the budget up for a scouting system that can spot players elsewhere in the football pyramid that have greater potential than some of our own. 

Using our ‘traditional’ approach the likes of Conway and Scott would now be on loan out at Newport, Grimsby or Ross County and the likes instead of being the two most outstanding players we have in our first team. 

?

11 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Players have to be given a chance to step up, just like Scott and Conway have done when given a chance. Seen so many ridiculous posts accusing NP of throwing him under the bus when in reality he has been given the chance to show what he is about in a fairly insignificant cup.

Exactly and I hope he gets another chance during the season. Low was poor but so was everyone else and it did him no favours. Players should not get unlimited opportunities but this was his first chance and as long as he stays positive and trains well he should get another. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, David Brent said:

Sykes didn’t help him out much either.

Sykes  was awful. He has been for a while. 

As of yesterday we had three maybe four  players. Scott ConwAy and Weimann plus Atkinson 

Also rans Sykes Williams James Klose Semenyo Martin Bajic Kadji 

Low was not helped but kept getting skinned 

King is a has Been but was better than Klose

Vyner needs someone better along side

Kalas has a continuing sick note or why was he not around along with the Lesser Spotted bloke from FGR and the accident waiting to happen Naismith  

Pearson touched on our ability, that is still, evident to sign sick notes  

The upside of the awful run of form is clearly currently OLeary is number one  and we can not be worse than that.

For the first time Pearson and his hand picked assistants are under real pressure and after that I’m close to address my to it, if not to call for his head, but to stop him making excuses about not even being a mid table team

On another note, is there some rule that the match can’t be shown in the concourse bars. Why was Reading v Watford on? It would be helpful to know when the players are back and neck my well earned large scotch after watching that shitty arsed excuse of a football team in the first half  

Edited by REDOXO

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Sykes  was awful. He has been for a while. 

As of yesterday we had three maybe four  players. Scott ConwAy and Weimann plus Atkinson 

Also rans Sykes Williams James Klose Semenyo Martin Bajic Kadji 

Low was not helped but kept getting skinned 

King is a has Been but was better than Klose

Vyner needs someone better along side

Kalas has a continuing sick note or why was he not around along with the Lesser Spotted bloke from FGR and the accident waiting to happen Naismith  

Pearson touched on our ability, that is still, evident to sign sick notes  

The upside of the awful run of form is clearly currently OLeary is number one  and we can not be worse than that.

For the first time Pearson and his hand picked assistants are under real pressure and after that I’m close to address my to it, if not to call for his head, but to stop him making excuses about not even being a mid table team

On another note, is there some rule that the match can’t be shown in the concourse bars. Why was Reading v Watford on? It would be helpful to know when the players are back and neck my well earned large scotch after watching that shitty arsed excuse of a football team in the first half  

Dont think there were any cameras there at all last night to produce a steam? Good job as well! 

5 hours ago, RedRock said:

Agree with you here but some players need a bit more and I think Low maybe one of those.

Ironically Ryley Towler is out on loan and thriving but would probably be in our 1st team, certainly ahead of Low, had he still been here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, marcofisher said:

In hindsight, this could be really good for Joe. Giving players a chance in the first team, whether they perform or not on their first outing, will give them the boost they need if they are of the right character.

He will now know the level he needs to be at and will have that extra bit between his teeth if there was anything about him.

You can’t hide on the pitch, and Joe didn’t, yes he was found wanting, and how he reacts to that will define his future career.

Towler and Scott have both been taken off early in games as I remember, Scott has moved forward rapidly, Towler has dropped down and is receiving rave reviews for his versatility and ability on loan, there is more than one way to move forward.

14 hours ago, Olé said:

Well that was kind. Pity he didn't help him out by actually taking some responsibility and providing support during the time Low was on the pitch. 

That performance from King was an absolute effing disgrace. He's meant to be the experienced player in midfield, he hit his first two forward passes to absolutely no one, then decided he just wasn't going to bother and so kept telegraphing it back to Low and others in defence hoping for them to bail him out without even trying to be forward minded, while relying on Kadji to show any enterprise and running in midfield. At times it looked like he was either not moving or deliberately hiding behind opponents and leaving the rest to it. Even if that's just a product of his pace and age, it was shocking, the bloke is completely finished.

It's all very nice that he's a fan and I hope he goes on to be a decent coach for the club, but I'm struggling to think of a decent performance since he's been here and that effort yesterday was embarassing.

I honestly didn’t see King’s performance as any worse than anyone else.  Boot on other foot, why isn’t Kadji doing the legwork for King, like Massengo would?  Far too Easy to blame King.  Whilst not trying to define each player’s performance by “stats”, guess which one is which in the first half?

3DB1FA78-1324-4A10-A050-E0461D6262F3.jpeg.f5577a774d37cf60af36c5d70a848a2b.jpeg
8A747154-4D7B-4011-A294-9DE2F3DBBAAC.jpeg.2f6ea4f793c983877942731568d1d0ef.jpeg

11 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Klose & King seem to be getting a fair bit of criticism around Low but am I the only one thinking Sykes is getting an easy ride?

The lack of awareness, support & protection he offered young Joe throughout that turbulent first 20 last night was alarming. Really poor.

No, by the seems of it, others noticed too!!!

11 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Joe Low has been around for a while and needs to be given chances he's not a rookie 18 year old he's had a couple of loans, he's 20 nearly 21 and he's physically big enough.  

That being said he blew it, bottled it in a fairly insignificant cup match.  Also though we're not flush with defenders so it was conversely a good idea to throw him in.  

Physically big enough, but importantly, not “strong for his size”.  Still growing into his frame imho, and looks a bit cumbersome as a result. We will see how he bounces back.

• Like 1