IGNORED

Man Utd for sale

Jerseybean

58 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

And so it continues. A matter of time for SL and Bristol Sport. 

Yes possible. But why can it not be bought by an English or UK buyer? Take their money out of foreign banks and pay some tax.  If it goes to foreign I know I will have to review my support. I am a Bristol City supporter and have been for 48 years now. A foreign owned club is not a Bristol City I feel  I can love and support . Just my initial feelings.

How do others feel. 

I am aware foreign ownership would likely bring the money to develop the team to the premiership . Which we all desire do much. But being foreign owned leaves a bad taste in my mouth .

I believe the Glazers hold their shares at PLC level. So that means they must be selling those shares, which are shares in a Cayman Islands company listed on the NYSE.

That makes this a slightly different deal to the Chelsea sale (not to mention the sanctions complications involved in that one). 

Not straightforward, will involve UK and Cayman Islands lawyers, plus lawyers for the purchaser(s). Could be a while until anything happens. Particularly if a purchaser wanted to simultaneously de-list the club or redomicile it away from Cayman.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes possible. But why can it not be bought by an English or UK buyer? Take their money out of foreign banks and pay some tax.  If it goes to foreign I know I will have to review my support. I am a Bristol City supporter and have been for 48 years now. A foreign owned club is not a Bristol City I feel  I can love and support . Just my initial feelings.

How do others feel. 

I am aware foreign ownership would likely bring the money to develop the team to the premiership . Which we all desire do much. But being foreign owned leaves a bad taste in my mouth .

How could a foreign owner put more in to the team? 

Just on the off chance, does anyone know the NYSE Listing Rules? Is a sale of the Glazers B shares enough to constitute a change of control that would require all other investors to sell their A shares as well? Is a drag along triggered is the essential question?

The answer would feed directly into the aggregate price paid by any purchaser.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

9 Billion. Only one man has that kind of money....

See the source image

£9bn is an interesting price. It's more than 3x the current market cap of US$2.64bn. Note that the market cap only covers the class A non voting shares and not the class B voting shares that the Glazers use to actually control Man Utd PLC. That explains the difference. They are therefore valuing the class B shares, the shares that actually control the club, at something like £6.5-7bn. 

It will be interesting to see if the next owner continues with the dual share class, minority listing, offshore structure, or they could revert to a more traditional structure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

£9bn is an interesting price. It's more than 3x the current market cap of US$2.64bn. Note that the market cap only covers the class A non voting shares and not the class B voting shares that the Glazers use to actually control Man Utd PLC. That explains the difference. They are therefore valuing the class B shares, the shares that actually control the club, at something like £6.5-7bn. 

It will be interesting to see if the next owner continues with the dual share class, minority listing, offshore structure, or they could revert to a more traditional structure.

What's the better deal Liverpool at 4 billion or United at 9 billion?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Super said:

What's the better deal Liverpool at 4 billion or United at 9 billion?

Liverpool is probably a simpler deal. My brief understanding is that the company structure around Liverpool is simpler and it's a bit less debt laden. For one thing with Liverpool you don't have to satisfy the NYSE rules, so that's one big book of regulations that you can ignore.

However global brand power is unquestionably stronger with Utd. 

Also, consider this. If you are able to finance either sale and your aim is to double your money in 10 years - a quite modest aim by the standards of the kind of people who will buy Utd or Liverpool - then with Liverpool you'll make £4bn. With Utd you make £9bn. So you decide.

Admittedly that's fag-packet economics, but I think that's your answer.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

And who really cares who owns United they can just **** off northern *****

This isn't just about Man Utd.  This is cautionary tale about how disenfranchised fans are at the mercy of global capitalism.   

We need to move to the German model, where fans have a controlling stake in their clubs. 

Edited by Red Skin
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

Man U worth 5 billion more than Liverpool? Where has that come from? Looking at the commercials (Forbes data 2022)1234.thumb.png.5a7cd5ee9e6771fe93c26f6e164aed04.png

Similar revenues, similar operating income, similar everything really.

The only thing that's not similar is Man U need to spend hundreds of millions (if not a billion) on a new stadium and training facilities and Liverpool dont. No doubt the USD:GBP fx rate is a major reason why they want to sell, but the crumbling stadium is another major reason.

For sure Man U is globally a bigger brand, but 5 billion more? No chance

Aside from that - whether you love or loathe these two clubs, i find it very sad that pretty much any shark investor can come in and buy them just to make money. We should have the German 50+1 ownership system in place to ensure commercial investors can only own 49% of a club. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

How do others feel. 

Foreign players are fine though...

3 hours ago, Red Skin said:

This isn't just about Man Utd.  This is cautionary tale about how disenfranchised fans are at the mercy of global capitalism.   

We need to move to the German model, where fans have a controlling stake in their clubs. 

Yes point taken.

But really the fans, population of this country have been sold out by our governments, system for ever. 

Do we really think that football has the power to change that and for the fans to have a real say or control .

We are mere pond life just here to feed big brother our tax payments 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
I can't spell