IGNORED

Man Utd for sale

Jerseybean

9 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Said earlier on radio utd worth 2 billion so wheres 9 come from? 

That will presumably be a report of the market capitalisation of their listing on the New York Stock Exchange. But, that listing is only of a small % of the total shares in the club. The vast majority of the shares in Manchester United PLC are unlisted shares held by the Glazers. They therefore are not reflected in that public market valuation.

In a sale the unlisted shares can be valued at whatever the Glazers can get for them. Thus an overall valuation of £9bn is not unreasonable when the small % of listed shares (somewhere around 10-20%) is valued at £2bn.

Edited by ExiledAjax

45 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:
3 hours ago, Red Skin said:

We need to move to the German model, where fans have a controlling stake in their clubs. 

Completely agree but will never happen due to the premier league and the money it receives from places like sky .

Is that the German model where the fans own the club, but the 'managing elite' get all the benefits and are never sacked as they control by direct appointments the committees which decide everything including who the two candidates are for the token fan elections?

The German model is actually more corrupt that the Premier League model.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

Said earlier on radio utd worth 2 billion so wheres 9 come from

They've got Mel Morris and his valuer in to cook the books prepare the offering for sale!  :whistle:

1 hour ago, Hxj said:

Is that the German model where the fans own the club, but the 'managing elite' get all the benefits and are never sacked as they control by direct appointments the committees which decide everything including who the two candidates are for the token fan elections?

The German model is actually more corrupt that the Premier League model.

If that's the case then maybe not how it has been implemented in that particular way.  Some kind of fan control is what is needed. That said they still have affordable ticket prices and safe standing.  

• Flames 1

15 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes possible. But why can it not be bought by an English or UK buyer? Take their money out of foreign banks and pay some tax.  If it goes to foreign I know I will have to review my support. I am a Bristol City supporter and have been for 48 years now. A foreign owned club is not a Bristol City I feel  I can love and support . Just my initial feelings.

How do others feel. 

I am aware foreign ownership would likely bring the money to develop the team to the premiership . Which we all desire do much. But being foreign owned leaves a bad taste in my mouth .

We're holding out for the Sultan of Brunei. Nigel's contract will be replaced by a payment each year of his weight in gold. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

We're holding out for the Sultan of Brunei. Nigel's contract will be replaced by a payment each year of his weight in gold. 

I've an acoustic architect mate who was commissioned to deliver a project for his (now sadly departed,) son. Put it this way. However bizarre an idea sounds, irrespective of how unreasonable the cost, however extravagant the minute detail, never, ever, ever give it short shrift. Nigel balanced on scales weighted by gold, far too simple.....

20 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes possible. But why can it not be bought by an English or UK buyer? Take their money out of foreign banks and pay some tax.  If it goes to foreign I know I will have to review my support. I am a Bristol City supporter and have been for 48 years now. A foreign owned club is not a Bristol City I feel  I can love and support . Just my initial feelings.

How do others feel. 

I am aware foreign ownership would likely bring the money to develop the team to the premiership . Which we all desire do much. But being foreign owned leaves a bad taste in my mouth .

Finding a UK interest would not be easy at all! The sterling/$ rate is still well beyond historic norms as it is with most currencies and there is a lot of money to be made by the right buyer. 

As for foreign ownership. I’m not sure it would phase me at all. SL is a tax exile! 

• Hmmm 1