IGNORED

Andy King at CB experiment should never happen again…

Davefevs

28 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Has there?

It boils down to do you trust NP or not? He makes decisions which are sometimes bizarre to the public but it’s his call. He’s the one who will ultimately pay the price or reap the plaudits. 
Who amongst us were cool with the treatment of Pring? Seemed ridiculous to leave him out of the first team let alone the squad . Pring’s reaction has been to up his game , he’s way more agressive than he was before. Maybe Pearson wants to fire up Atkinson, it has been said that he is very calm. 
Coming back to my opening question, do we trust NP? 
The players are still giving it their all on the pitch with varying results. 
I am very upset with the return  v Stoke because after the excellent result in Yorkshire it was an opportunity to put the negativity behind us and press on. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

It boils down to do you trust NP or not? He makes decisions which are sometimes bizarre to the public but it’s his call. He’s the one who will ultimately pay the price or reap the plaudits. 
Who amongst us were cool with the treatment of Pring? Seemed ridiculous to leave him out of the first team let alone the squad . Pring’s reaction has been to up his game , he’s way more agressive than he was before. Maybe Pearson wants to fire up Atkinson, it has been said that he is very calm. 
I am very upset with the return  v Stoke because after the excellent result in Yorkshire it was an opportunity to put the negativity behind us and press on. 

Firstly Major I am not sure the manager does pay the price. Gets paid off and potentially gets another job. If the club gets relegated it’s actually the owner and the fans who pay the price. How many years did it take for us to make it back to this level in previous attempts? With the exception of the Cotterill interlude, it was a real struggle over many seasons to get promoted out of League 1.

As for Atkinson being “too calm” or “too nice”, having a central defender who doesn’t panic has to be better than a hot-headed aggressive player who gives away needless fouls and penalties. If I was Atkinson, I would be fuming that NP chose an ageing journeyman midfielder ahead of me, who turns out to be no good in that position, and rather than feeling like fighting my place, I might quite rightly ask if my career isn’t better served by looking elsewhere. Remember Atkinson was in the League 1 team of the year in 2020/21 so he’s clearly been rated by others. And he is probably one of the few players for whom we might get a decent transfer fee.

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

That’s how I see it Major pretty much.  The Pring example is a good example, maybe a case of “treating him mean…” but it looks like he’s come back a better, stronger player.  You or I (from the outside looking in) couldn’t understand why he wasn’t at least in the 18 could we?

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

Firstly Major I am not sure the manager does pay the price. Gets paid off and potentially gets another job. If the club gets relegated it’s actually the owner and the fans who pay the price. How many years did it take for us to make it back to this level in previous attempts? With the exception of the Cotterill interlude, it was a real struggle over many seasons to get promoted out of League 1.

As for Atkinson being “too calm” or “too nice”, having a central defender who doesn’t panic has to be better than a hot-headed aggressive player who gives away needless fouls and penalties. If I was Atkinson, I would be fuming that NP chose an ageing journeyman midfielder ahead of me, who turns out to be no good in that position, and rather than feeling like fighting my place, I might quite rightly ask if my career isn’t better served by looking elsewhere. Remember Atkinson was in the League 1 team of the year in 2020/21 so he’s clearly been rated by others. And he is probably one of the few players for whom we might get a decent transfer fee.

There’s a big difference between being calm and nice, and bigger again to hot headed and aggressive.  Look at Vyner, he has improved his physicality a bit (not enough imho) without being rash.  Back to Atkinson, if his reaction is to want away then that’s not the character we want.  I don’t think he’s like that though, but he’s not your typical pro football character either.  He had an off-spell last season after illness and injury to finish the season strongly.  I’m just gonna watch to see how it plays out.

I do think more is being made of it than it merits.  It’s professional sport.  It’s not your cub football team where everyone must get at least half a game!!  We bemoan Bristol City Cosy Club and now have a manager who seems intent to drive that culture out of the club, because he knows that won’t cut it for a club aspiring to get to the PL…but then we moan when someone appears to be a bit tough with players.

I’m looking forward to the next media rounds…I’m sure it will be the focus of several questions.

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

I don’t disagree, but losing one’s job is a ‘ price’ whether one finds another or not. As for the owner it’s his shitshow so he should accept responsibility. As for us the long suffering fans, we can vote with our feet or continue supporting in the hope that one miraculous season will make up for all the hurt. 
I repeat, do we trust NP or not? because if we do then we let him deal with the players as he feels best or if not then we should find his replacement.

Andy King anybody ?