IGNORED

Southgate staying

Jerseybean

Difficult one this. I would like to see Eddie Howe or Graham Potter but timing wrong clearly. Not really any great candidates otherwise. 

He’s done a great job of getting players and fans to care about England after the Iceland shambles. And we are undoubtedly a better side now than when we lost to Croatia in 2018. But you just get this feeling he can’t get the job done in the big moments (Croatia, Italy and France). All games there for the taking but lost one way or another. 

12 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Difficult one this. I would like to see Eddie Howe or Graham Potter but timing wrong clearly. Not really any great candidates otherwise. 

He’s done a great job of getting players and fans to care about England after the Iceland shambles. And we are undoubtedly a better side now than when we lost to Croatia in 2018. But you just get this feeling he can’t get the job done in the big moments (Croatia, Italy and France). All games there for the taking but lost one way or another. 

I like Howe, I think he’d manage in a similar vain to Southgate, try to make it a club like environment.

I honestly don’t know about Potter…mainly because I don’t watch much PL footie.  If he does a good job at Chelsea he will probably be a shoe-in in 18 months time, assuming he would want it / Chelsea let him go.

30 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Exactly where i am - i don’t want us looking back in 15 years time and going ‘what if’. My concerns I’ve had with Gareth Southgate remain, but i also don’t have an answer on who to replace him with either due to the fact that Potter and Howe are tied up. 

31 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I feel similar.

I think he’s done a fantastic job in changing perspectives around England both for fans after some pretty bleak years from 2007-2016 and for players enjoying being with the national team.

The setup at the FA with at George’s park is getting better too and it feels like there’s a plan.

That said I absolutely understand the arguments about games being there for the taking and could someone else have done better with this group - there’s plenty who may have done worse though too.

I trust his squad selections that he knows more than most on a personal level as well as ability. He dealt with the Foden / Greenwood situation well, and I think he’s done the same with Maddison. 

Ultimately you can look at his England record from either perspective - he’s either failed most times he’s come up against a “good” team or he’s been the most “successful” England manager since 66. Both are probably true

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

We lost to Italy on Pens and were up against a blatantly biased ref. 

We lost to France after being largely the better team, due to a freak Harry Kane missed penalty.

No manager has had us this competitive at these stages of 3 straight tournaments, ever. 

He's not perfect, but it would be our loss if he'd had enough. 

• Like 4

Not happy nor frustrated. No one else is available to take the position. If Potter and Howe go on to have successful reigns at Chelsea and Newcastle. They still won’t leave.

Personally, we’ll never win anything under Southgate. With such a talented squad of players. It’s rather frustrating and wasteful

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Not happy nor frustrated. No one else is available to take the position. If Potter and Howe go on to have successful reigns at Chelsea and Newcastle. They still won’t leave.

Personally, we’ll never win anything under Southgate. With such a talented squad of players. It’s rather frustrating and wasteful

We’ll never win anything under Southgate despite being a penalty shootout away from winning something under Southgate 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

My main criticism of Southgate has also been our failure to win the big games when were on top. But I don’t hold France against him. We were the better team, I don’t blame us for the goals we conceded, and if Kane scores that penalty I think we win the game.

I’m happy he’s staying. I’ve come to the conclusion that club management and international management are two very different things and Southgate seems very well suited to the latter.

• Flames 1

With plenty saying he should go, I did worry that it could be a case of ... "be careful what you wish for".

Most successful manager bar one, consistent and yet I still have nagging doubts. 

I would like him to be more front foot, a little more aggressive . Hopefully he might have learned more from another WC.

• Like 1

Overjoyed that I can continue to watch Maguire and Stones passing it sideways and backwards, slowly, aimlessly for another 18 odd months. 

The game has moved on. Passive, possession football that is Southgate’s trademark is so yesterday. 

Nice chap, but as we can see from our own Club’s experiences, nice chaps tend not to lift trophies.

FA will be delighted though, which is a good reason why it’s a bad outcome. 

• Like 1

I think it’s the right decision to stick with him going into the Euros, it’s only 18 months away and there’s enough positives to feel we are heading in the right direction and believe we genuinely have a chance.

That being said, to stay beyond the Euros, GS needs to demonstrate that he can beat the big teams. He needs to demonstrate that he can make effective in game decisions at the right time to overturn opponents.

A few things for me, hopefully he sticks with the 433, it produces more entertaining football than the back 3. Hopefully Southgate puts an emphasis on bringing through talent, people like Tomori starting to come to the forefront, rather than just thinking of the main 15 or so players he’ll need for the euros and sticking by them 

10 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

A few things for me, hopefully he sticks with the 433, it produces more entertaining football than the back 3. Hopefully Southgate puts an emphasis on bringing through talent, people like Tomori starting to come to the forefront, rather than just thinking of the main 15 or so players he’ll need for the euros and sticking by them 

That'll be the tomori who has had a shocker of a season up to now yeah?

It is a tough one as others have said. When it comes to major tournaments we look good against teams we should brush aside. When we face decent opponents we fall short, albeit with a good performance against the French this time around.

It is the crap that happens between these tournaments that’s the issue for me. Many will say the nations league means nothing. Just competitive friendlies. But that doesn’t hide the fact in the build up to the World Cup we were a shambles. 3 draws and 3 defeats in a campaign ending in “relegation”. This included a 4-0 home defeat to Hungary!

Southgate has the most talented crop of players in recent years so he needs to use them or let someone else do it.

• Like 1

I see comments that this is the most talented group of players in years etc etc but we've heard that since the early 00's with that crop as well, then it was all about Rooney being the special one.  I think we are competitive on the world stage for the first time in my 44 years, but probably lack a real top drawer superstar player to take us that extra step.  I think Southgate has done an amazing job, and much better than the many many experienced managers before him have done.  Would another so say experienced manager done better?  No one can say but they havnt in the past

12 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I feel similar.

I think he’s done a fantastic job in changing perspectives around England both for fans after some pretty bleak years from 2007-2016 and for players enjoying being with the national team.

The setup at the FA with at George’s park is getting better too and it feels like there’s a plan.

That said I absolutely understand the arguments about games being there for the taking and could someone else have done better with this group - there’s plenty who may have done worse though too.

I trust his squad selections that he knows more than most on a personal level as well as ability. He dealt with the Foden / Greenwood situation well, and I think he’s done the same with Maddison. 

Ultimately you can look at his England record from either perspective - he’s either failed most times he’s come up against a “good” team or he’s been the most “successful” England manager since 66. Both are probably true

He's achieved nothing,and won nothing, WHY?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Selred said:

Completely wrong. His style of football is perfectly set up for tournament football. 

Only Spain play this way, and remind me when did they get knocked out?  

Morocco were a supremely drilled and organised defensive unit but even they were a front foot team and were let down by not having a finisher. 

Southgate’s won nowt and won’t if he constantly allows teams in matches to set up to close down spaces and tightly mark our forward players while the likes of Stones and Maguire scratch their heads wondering what to do with the ball as they pass it along the back line.

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Embarrassing isn't it?  Hordes of people spouting the same ridiculous line.  

Umm… this year’s report; relegated from the Nations League (including a 4-0 home defeat to Hungary) and exit at QF stage of the WC…. plus zero progress adapting to the new, effective style of ‘winning football’ - despite him saying at the WC he now wants to play on the ‘front foot’. Either he doesn’t set up to allow the players to do this, selects the wrong players or can’t communicate his ‘front foot’ ideas to the players. Probably a combination of all three.

Meanwhile, the FA ‘Blazers’ sit back and appear perfectly content to have a manager announce he’s taking time out to think whether he wants to continue to lead England, no doubt to establish whether he can get a better paid job in Club football. One assumes no Club offers -unsurprisingly - were received by Southgate, so he announces he’s going to stay on. ..and the FA lemmings just lap it up. …and does that not show why we don’t breed ‘winners’ with a do or die mentality. FA is soft and rotten to the core. 

Just look at how England Cricket have evolved their set up and play recently and have now become serial winners … would love a Ben Stokes type to get in amongst the FA crowd and sort them out. 

If the England manager must be English then he has to stay really. Should have win something by now though. Seen on a clip of a podcast that England has played a top 10 nation 24 times and have only won 4 of those during the Southgate regime. England have enough to be more competitive than that. 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Why is there a God given right that England have to win something, and everything else is failure?

We haven't won the WC since 1966, it's about time we did, with a good manager,but Southgate isn't the right person,time for change, but he isn't going to resign is he after winning nothing, FAs cheap option,