IGNORED

Football Stadium Atmosphere Research Survey

alexwells98

1 hour ago, alexwells98 said:

Hi, I am an architecture student at the University of Bath undertaking research into football stadium atmosphere. If you could spare 5 minutes of your time, I would be very grateful if you could complete this survey aimed at football fans:

https://bathreg.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/football-stadium-atmosphere-research

Thank you,

Alex

Well done, a good survey which I’ve just completed. 

It would’ve perhaps been good to have a few more questions on how atmosphere is generated, but I appreciate your angle is one of architecture. 

In this regard I’d say most new stadiums are awful for atmosphere, redeveloped traditional grounds are much better. 

Finally I’d say it’s not just the stadium itself but also where it’s located: this in itself generates atmosphere. E.g. Reading’s stadium is a good example of modern stadium whose location effects atmosphere before you’ve even set foot in it. Football stadiums in traditional residential areas often have an atmosphere all of their own just by virtue of their location (good and bad!).

Edited by One Team

2 hours ago, alexwells98 said:

Hi, I am an architecture student at the University of Bath undertaking research into football stadium atmosphere. If you could spare 5 minutes of your time, I would be very grateful if you could complete this survey aimed at football fans:

https://bathreg.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/football-stadium-atmosphere-research

Thank you,

Alex

Done!

I do think that newer grounds lack some of the atmosphere of older grounds as you don’t often get an apex type roof that allows noise to bounce back down.

Another non-architectural factor is the clubs trying to manufacture an atmosphere with singing sections. I’m not against them, just against their manufacture. Historically like minded groups would congregate in an area and that generated more noise. Now you seem to get a dilution if this as some people will be there to genuinely try and create atmosphere, others will try to sample the atmosphere but not have a scooby about what to do, others will be there for the cheap tickets, and finally some of those who would normally try to create an atmosphere won’t be in that area because they either don’t wish to be told where to sing by the club or they just prefer sitting somewhere else. 

• Like 1

Done. I’ve answered as best I can but atmosphere isn’t all about the stadium. Ashton Gate can be quiet as a library or rocking. The stadium doesn’t change but results/performances/apathy/positivity about the club do change and drive the atmosphere. 
On the assumption things are going well on the pitch, I find generally that traditional style stadiums are best for atmosphere while bowl lack something. 
good luck with the surgery and studies! 

Edited by Mendip City
  • Like 1

It's far more to do with who's in the stadium, than the stadium itself.

The whole acoustic excuse is never shown up better than at Ashton Gate, where when it was the home end, everyone complained that the acoustics the Atyeo stand were rubbish.....

Now it's the away end, that outings us every home game and it's the acoustics in the South stand that are the problem & people wish it was more like the Atyeo stand..!

It's all nonsense and if people sing, it makes more noise than if they don't..!

(Yes, I'm aware that acoustics are an actual thing.!)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

The whole acoustic excuse is never shown up better than at Ashton Gate, where when it was the home end, everyone complained that the acoustics the Atyeo stand were rubbish.....

Back in yonder 2006 when City fans petitioned Steve the sketch was.

The Atyeo had never become the home end.

It was rubbish versus.

The East End SOUND and feel.

Edited by Sixtyseconds
Its noo year .. Be nice