IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

What's the upside?

we don’t know yet, but seems to me the potential improvement in results would outweigh the risks of results getting worse. that’s just me though, i think anything is worth a go to  try and improve our abysmal home form which stretches back many many months. 

no problem if you disagree though. 

Just now, sludge said:

we don’t know yet, but seems to me the potential improvement in results would outweigh the risks of results getting worse. that’s just me though, i think anything is worth a go to  try and improve our abysmal home form which stretches back many many months. 

Fine with me

9 minutes ago, BigTone said:

What's the upside? We all become aggressive then that rectifies the problem ? Come on, please !!

all depends on what type of aggression we’re talking about. not advocating anything physical, but sitting their meekly whilst we get the old read and write tractor song belted out by the away end isn’t currently that great. 

some football chants do have aggressive lyrics no? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

What's the upside? We all become aggressive then that rectifies the problem ? Come on, please !!

It's something that is hard to explain and a marginal gain perhaps- intangible- but if livelier home fans and away fans are in a close proximity it can spark something in the atmosphere and a more sparky atmosphere can lift the players on the pitch.

Not saying it always works but it can.

• Like 3

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's something that is hard to explain and a marginal gain perhaps- intangible- but if livelier home fans and away fans are in a close proximity it can spark something in the atmosphere and a more sparky atmosphere can lift the players on the pitch.

Not saying it always works but it can.

Dont think so TBH

3 minutes ago, sludge said:

all depends on what type of aggression we’re talking about. not advocating anything physical, but sitting their meekly whilst we get the old read and write tractor song belted out by the away end isn’t currently that great. 

some football chants do have aggressive lyrics no? 

No, not to any professional team worth their salt. The idiot fans maybe!!

• Hmmm 1

Just now, BigTone said:

Dont think so TBH

You don't think a noisier atmosphere impacts the players for the better? Each to their own.

Am example I often come back to is Watford in November. Just before the break.

When the team came out we had the disaster v Lincoln. Probably were not expecting much but the team surprised us, put in a shift and played quite well. Crowd got into it, the atmosphere was decent and this in turn lifted the players..feel the two can feed off each other quite well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You don't think a noisier atmosphere impacts the players for the better? Each to their own.

Am example I often come back to is Watford in November. Just before the break.

When the team came out we had the disaster v Lincoln. Probably were not expecting much but the team surprised us, put in a shift and played quite well. Crowd got into it, the atmosphere was decent and this in turn lifted the players..feel the two can feed off each other quite well.

Maybe if it happened week in and week out but the reality is it doesn't !!

18 minutes ago, sludge said:

A good few months now. In mid October we won our 4th of 7 and was 4-1-2.

Since then however...yes a terrible run of results even though some performances weren't too bad.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, BigTone said:

Maybe if it happened week in and week out but the reality is it doesn't !!

The atmosphere has been very flat at a lot of games this season. One that surprised me was Luton at home in August scored early and clearly on top at 11 v 11 but didn't hear much considering we were playing very well v last season's play-off semi finalists.

Question is as always, is it the job of the players to spark the crowd or vice versa?

• Admin
3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

This sort of thing works once or twice but, once it becomes obvious, it gets stopped. The club isn’t going to allow large numbers of people moving from a cheaper area to a more expensive area on a regular  basis 

I thought you could only move seats twice in a season anyway? 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A good few months now. In mid October we won our 4th of 7 and was 4-1-2.

Since then however...yes a terrible run of results even though some performances weren't too bad.

i’m still scarred by, and taking into account, the abysmal home form that we endured during the latter part of LJ, all of Holden and the start of Pearson. 

If you treat the second half of last season as a blip (albeit a fairly long blip) the problems at home stretch back years…

Just now, sludge said:

i’m still scarred by, and taking into account, the abysmal home form that we endured during the latter part of LJ, all of Holden and the start of Pearson. 

If you treat the second half of last season as a blip (albeit a fairly long blip) the problems at home stretch back years…

Yeah that's fair. 2017-18 we had the 10th best home record but beyond that...?

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The atmosphere has been very flat at a lot of games this season. One that surprised me was Luton at home in August scored early and clearly on top at 11 v 11 but didn't hear much considering we were playing very well v last season's play-off semi finalists.

Question is as always, is it the job of the players to spark the crowd or vice versa?

Bit of both in reality, I was (pleasantly) surprised how only small actions on the pitch got the crowd going second half vs Swansea. I’m looking forward to Saturday and doing my best to get behind the team. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, sludge said:

even 10th best home record doesn’t exactly scream fortress ?

Our best since we got back to the level the 10th best.

Decent run last year under NP at home and arguably including 1st 7 games of this season but again performances not too bad since IMO but results a bigger issue.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do you go to a show in London's Wesf End to be entertained or to entertain them ?

14 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Do you go to a show in London's Wesf End to be entertained or to entertain them ?

Your Avatar dosn't fit but you're not the Woman that sits next to my Son, never speaks to anyone and claps at no time except when City score are you.... ?

The atmosphere has changed over the decades in line with the clientele. In the 80's/90's was nearly all male. Now there's loads of families spread through the ground.  Maybe a clouded memory but years ago there was a better atmosphere with crowds of 9000 than today. Very poor now. Used to be great in Blocks A and B but people sang as well in the East End, Enclosure and the Park end so think if the singing section moved it would still struggle to create anything but worth a try.

58 minutes ago, phantom said:

I thought you could only move seats twice in a season anyway? 

The post I was replying to suggested people without a ticket for A block could enter at the other end of the Dolman, and  just walk along the gangway at the top of the stand, to get to A block. It wasn’t doing an official move. 

Some people will never be happy. Moan about S82 not supporting the team, moan that Ashton Gate isn’t a tough place to come and then moan about people moving to a different part of the ground to try and create an atmosphere. All while spending 90 minutes sat in silence. 

The S82 guys can’t win with some fans.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

I see a certain level of comparison on the one level ie both are now very much the 'entertainment industry' but overall it's very different.

At football you can stand (periodically or occasionally in designated areas), sing, chant, laugh, cry, scream- okay there a a bit of poetic license in it but there is a distinct difference historically certainly.

Some fans will prefer to sit back and wait and get cheering or flat based on the performance, some will prefer to try and get the side going themselves. Whereas the theatre is a much more sit back and soak it in, passive experience.

Although I think crowds at football as a whole are probably more passive per capita than 20-25 years ago and perhaps less. Let alone 30 years and more.

39 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

On a general note, could be a red herring.

Location of the tunnel- is it no difference or would the tunnel being being behind the goal help at all. I forget when it moved to the Lansdown side.

You’re welcome

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/first-look-dressing-room-areas-at-ashton-gate/

• Thanks 1