IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

1 hour ago, lenred said:

Yep. Lansdown wants good little boys who sit on their hands and don’t say boo to anything or anyone.   It’s infuriating.    We used to be a club that was recognised for its fan base - for being vocal, for being intimidating, for creating an atmosphere.    Now we are just a pleasant day out for away fans. I used to laugh at teams like Yeovil, Fulham, Wycombe and Reading and their boring, happy clappy atmospheres but sadly we have become just like them and it seems a fair few people are very happy with that, not just Lansdown.  It’s a shame as atmosphere is what got so many of us into football in the first place.

A depressingly honest post mate..I’m of the opinion though that there is still a large enough proportion of our fanbase that won’t accept us turning into a Fulham or Reading but i agree with your sentiments that it feels like we are heading that way.

This is why it is crucial that movements like this are supported by as many of us like minded fans as possible. The club cannot silence a large majority especially if it is done in the correct way ?

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, lenred said:

Well I presume you do support Bristol City and I’ve not said you don’t? But you also post about your very keen regard for Millwall - hence my point.  I like going to Millwall as well. It’s a proper club. Which is what I want our club to be.  A club with a heart and not some plastic happy clappy soulless entity.  
And I have read your posts.  They seem very anti those trying to improve the atmosphere hidden under some veil that everyone doing it must be doing something wrong - which imho is completely your prerogative but a big shame.   

No, what I said is I am supportive but it's the methodology in doing so that doesn't sit well.  Also I am worried about the real reason some need to be so close to opposition fans.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

especially if it is done in the correct way ?

This is a really pertinent point- the crux, as we know if it isn't done correctly and the jury is out as to if it was on Saturday, this just makes it more difficult for those who want to do so correctly. It's a catch 22, both sides need to give a bit IMO.

If it isn't done correctly, I expect that the club and or the relevant body will try and clamp down.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

No, what I said is I am supportive but it's the methodology in doing so that doesn't sit well.  Also I am worried about the real reason some need to be so close to opposition fans.

What is making you worried? What do you and everyone else that is so against this think that will specifically happen at Bristol City that doesn’t happen at all grounds that have home and away fans in some kind of close proximity? What can possibly happen they can’t feasibly happen already? 

13 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

A depressingly honest post mate..I’m of the opinion though that there is still a large enough proportion of our fanbase that won’t accept us turning into a Fulham or Reading but i agree with your sentiments that it feels like we are heading that way.

This is why it is crucial that movements like this are supported by as many of us like minded fans as possible. The club cannot silence a large majority especially if it is done in the correct way ?

Yeah I may have used a bit of artistic licence there!  But I feel the point remains - the atmosphere since the rebuild has just got progressively worse and is at its lowest ebb. And those trying to actively do something about it should be hugely encouraged like you say.  And completely agree it should be done with consideration for others but it should be organic - not some forced,  club sanctioned ‘singing area’ like we have already.  We don’t need any more of those.   

20 minutes ago, Mr Chappers said:

I think that if I paid for a seat and found it occupied by some self-entitled youth, or my view impeded, I’d be a tad cross. The selfishness of some, and lack of respect for older/ less able fans is really poor. 
There’s also policing to consider, quite sure the ‘atmosphere’ will involve flying seats at some point.

The intentions may be good, but the manner it’s being done is so wrong, and so little respect for other supporters.

It’s this largely (I think the flying seats is a bit of stretch). I’m torn as there’s nothing wrong with improving the atmosphere and people making an organised effort to do so and the pro-activity is good. However IF the anecdotal reports in here are true of people not being able to get to their normal seats - that’s clearly not ok. Unfortunately as much as we all like atmosphere, the fact you sing/shout and someone else chooses not to does not give you a right to their seat.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, lenred said:

What is making you worried? What do you and everyone else that is so against this think that will specifically happen at Bristol City that doesn’t happen at all grounds that have home and away fans in some kind of close proximity? What can possibly happen they can’t feasibly happen already? 

Probably a historic notion given my age and past experience 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I think people (myself included) believe there is part of you who is against it because of your slightly sneering observation at FT on Saturday that you'd heard, from France, that it didn't improve things.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think people (myself included) believe there is part of you who is against it because of your slightly sneering observation at FT on Saturday that you'd heard, from France, that it didn't improve things.

Didn't come across on Robin's TV too well. Wasnt meant to be sneering but I did have friends at the game who said the same. Even other posters on here made the same observation. Apologies if it came across that way.

I hope you get what you want but dont expect it to happen this season. The way forward is to discuss your issues with the club. Whilst you may not get all you want there is always a compromise to be had for both parties.

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

What lack of respect? They cannot choose who their seat mates are! 

I think they should have to option to stay where they are or a free move anywhere else in the stadium. That is full respect.

With respect, I don’t think that shows a lot of respect at all.

It’s not just about who sits next to you, it’s about who stands in front of you.

If I’ve bought a season ticket, along maybe my kids or some friends: I want, maybe need, to sit - as ground regulations require - and out of the blue one week you and your mates rock up and announce that you’re going to stand in front of me for the rest of the season, so I can just move somewhere else. I don’t call that ‘respect’. I call it selfish. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

It’s not just about who sits next to you, it’s about who stands in front of you.

If I’ve bought a season ticket, along maybe my kids or some friends: I want, maybe need, to sit - as ground regulations require - and out of the blue one week you and your mates rock up and announce that you’re going to stand in front of me for the rest of the season, so I can just move somewhere else. I don’t call that ‘respect’. I call it selfish. 

Interesting or bizarrely that in a previous post cidercity says he sits in the family enclosure with his 3 year old.

26 minutes ago, Redinthehead said:

It’s this largely (I think the flying seats is a bit of stretch). I’m torn as there’s nothing wrong with improving the atmosphere and people making an organised effort to do so and the pro-activity is good. However IF the anecdotal reports in here are true of people not being able to get to their normal seats - that’s clearly not ok. Unfortunately as much as we all like atmosphere, the fact you sing/shout and someone else chooses not to does not give you a right to their seat.

Sadly, after 45 years of watching City, I would not dismiss the flying seats as fantasy.

From the club's FB

CLUB STATEMENT: E34 DOLMAN STAND

MONDAY, JANUARY 16TH 2023

Bristol City Football Club would like to remind supporters that match tickets in the E34 block of the Dolman Stand are reserved seating only.

At Saturday’s fixture against Birmingham City, large numbers of supporters were stood throughout the game and many not in their correct seats. This resulted in a number of Season Ticket holders being unable to get to their designated seats and having to stand throughout the game.

Upon physical ticket checks, stewards discovered that supporters were duplicating tickets in an attempt to gain unauthorised access to the block. A large number of supporters with duplicate tickets were subsequently refused entry and those who had gained access were removed where safely possible.

As a result, there will be increased stewarding in place for this weekend’s fixture against Blackburn Rovers (January 21st, 3pm) and physical ticket checks in place, which may result in longer queues, as Bristol City Football Club and Ashton Gate underline it's commitment to fan safety.

Supporters who have purchased tickets in the E34 block are advised to take only the seat specified on their match ticket. If supporters are found to ignore their seating instruction they will also face removal from the stand.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, winsaw said:

From the club's FB

CLUB STATEMENT: E34 DOLMAN STAND

MONDAY, JANUARY 16TH 2023

Bristol City Football Club would like to remind supporters that match tickets in the E34 block of the Dolman Stand are reserved seating only.

At Saturday’s fixture against Birmingham City, large numbers of supporters were stood throughout the game and many not in their correct seats. This resulted in a number of Season Ticket holders being unable to get to their designated seats and having to stand throughout the game.

Upon physical ticket checks, stewards discovered that supporters were duplicating tickets in an attempt to gain unauthorised access to the block. A large number of supporters with duplicate tickets were subsequently refused entry and those who had gained access were removed where safely possible.

As a result, there will be increased stewarding in place for this weekend’s fixture against Blackburn Rovers (January 21st, 3pm) and physical ticket checks in place, which may result in longer queues, as Bristol City Football Club and Ashton Gate underline it's commitment to fan safety.

Supporters who have purchased tickets in the E34 block are advised to take only the seat specified on their match ticket. If supporters are found to ignore their seating instruction they will also face removal from the stand.

I mean that...seems fair?

"Do it in accordance with the rules."

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Didn't come across on Robin's TV too well. Wasnt meant to be sneering but I did have friends at the game who said the same. Even other posters on here made the same observation. Apologies if it came across that way.

I hope you get what you want but dont expect it to happen this season. The way forward is to discuss your issues with the club. Whilst you may not get all you want there is always a compromise to be had for both parties.

Couldn't hear a single thing from them from the lower SS.

Any notion that we won because of them is pure fantasy. 

Any notion that they shut the brum fans up again is pure fantasy, us scoring 4 goals did that. 

I enjoyed that S82 went back to the more traditional songs on Saturday rather than all the ultra songs. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Exactly. When someone has spent 500 quid for multiple seasons then they have every single right to be peed off about someone being in their 500 quid seat or obstructing their view. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Where did I say standing was OK?

Club statement seems totally fair 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Any notion that they shut the brum fans up again is pure fantasy, us scoring 4 goals did that. 

I enjoyed that S82 went back to the more traditional songs on Saturday rather than all the ultra songs. 

Why would Pearson mention it? He specifically mentioned the atmosphere and how great it was on Saturday amd how it helped the players.  Why would Twentyman and Honor mention it as well?    Better atmosphere helps everyone. Whether you can hear it or not is not the issue. It filters around. The more noise the better. Or at least that’s what I always thought.   

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You must be mutt n jeff then? 

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Why would Pearson mention it? He specifically mentioned the atmosphere and how great it was on Saturday amd how it helped the players.  Why would Twentyman and Honor mention it as well?    Better atmosphere helps everyone. Whether you can hear it or not is not the issue. It filters around. The more noise the better. Or at least that’s what I always thought.   

To be fair Pearson probably mentioned it as didn't he say quite the opposite last home match, that fans need to get behind the team etc...

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Yeap. 

But I think/fear the no pyro, no party will just ignore the request, use different routes to the Dolman and then just walk down to block A.

Interesting times await.

I get that, I understand that for some people going to the football is their escape from the rules that govern them at school, home, work, and in society in general. Many of us seek that escape. Some find it on holiday, some on a hike in the remote contryside, some at the bottom of a bottle. Some find it at the football. No pyro/no party and sneaking an extra mate in past the stewards is part of that understandable rebellious vibe. It's natural, but it's not always useful.

To then be told that you actually are bound by rules, and to be told that when you believe yourself to be acting virtuously in pursuit of "atmosphere", that will be hard.

But there are rules, there are always rules, it's how society, and in particular crowds comprised of disparate parts of that society, are governed and kept safe.

So my message to the "movers" is to be virtuous, build atmosphere, but abide by the few rules that keep you and your fellow fans safe.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I mean that...seems fair?

"Do it in accordance with the rules."

Yep, totally fair.

No issue in fans moving to E34 (or any other part of the ground) providing they do it in line with regulations/cost etc. Transfer your ticket and get the allocated seat. If a bunch of fans want to stand and don’t block others view, I’m relaxed on that.

We’ve all been to away games and had this conversation re allocated seats Vs sit where you want (and fwiw my stance on that is if you arrive early then it’s more reasonable than rocking in at 2:57 and barging in, but the person who’s bought the ticket takes precedent) - this is an extension of that but forcing fans out/ruining their experience when they’ve shelled out for STs to support the club is a bit off

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

It seems to me like several posters on here, even those who claim this isn't the case, are very snippy about the whole thing.

In general, it seems to be boomers - who are happy to say how atmosphere was better "in their day" and are content with that because it means they've done their bit.. whilst being a bit sneering about it (even through "liking" negative posts about that section whilst claiming to be supportive) partly because it's young fans taking the initiative. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slack said:

To be fair Pearson probably mentioned it as didn't he say quite the opposite last home match, that fans need to get behind the team etc...

Yep concede thats also possible but Swansea was a really good atmosphere as well - second half at least! Can’t remember if he mentioned it then.  He was very enthusiastic about Saturday.  

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

The Watford atmosphere was better imo, we didn't win. 

We won because of all the work the players and the manager and coaching staff has put in. 

Pring couldn't last a game not so long ago. He didn't get through Saturdays game because of the crowd. He got through it because of the work he and the club have done on his fitness. 

Yes the crowd certainly do play a part. But to solely believe that is the reason we won is rather silly. 

• Like 1