IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

Looks like the first league match you can buy tickets for E34 is the 21st October against Cov!
When there's 459 seats available...

I imagine nearer the time, the club will close that section off again for sale - just like they've done for the earlier games,

Seems pretty crap that. especially as it's the cheapest block to buy a ticket in the whole ground...

33 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Been done to death on here over recent years but christ something needs to be done to improve the Ashton gate atmosphere - it is absolutely dreadful. What ever happened to the talk of S82 being expanded?

We had some games which weren't too bad last year, but generally quite ordinary IMO.

Watford at home sticks in the mind, perhaps Birmingham at home which was our first home win in months in January and Middlesbrough at home over Easter. Norwich at home in February potentially.

However 1 definitely and 2 or 3 maybes isn't really very good. FA Cup games okay in parts,  but especially Man City.

Can they get permission is the question? Safe Standing is licensed I believe, hence the expansion probably has to jump through some hoops.

29 minutes ago, 8 men had a dream said:

Looks like the first league match you can buy tickets for E34 is the 21st October against Cov!
When there's 459 seats available...

I imagine nearer the time, the club will close that section off again for sale - just like they've done for the earlier games,

Seems pretty crap that. especially as it's the cheapest block to buy a ticket in the whole ground...

Is it a reduced capacity in there or what?

Some sort of Club Statement to clarify the position would be good.

My gut feeling is that it is linked to the Persistent Standing by some who migrate there but who knows.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

It’s as they don’t use them properly, I’ve flagged it before to the club when the terrorist attack happened in liverpool and you are just met the reply of

”police are happy with this” etc 

I could quite easily take whatever into the ground, I’ve even offered to prove this to the club before but funnily enough they never are happy to take the offer up. 

Agreed.

In respect of the hand held wands it makes you wonder what kinda training they get for this, what sort if expertise and experience even of football stewarding let alone higher end security those searching have.

3 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

On a different point, how strict is the stewarding on getting into S82 these days? I sit in S23 and just before kick off three teenage girls came up and sat by me. Soon they were on their phones and waving to mates in S82.

Then they left and were next seen walking up the steps to S82 to be with friends when they obviously shouldnt have. 

May I suggest a change/better use of deodorant and, perhaps, just cutting back a bit on those cheeky grins and cute little winks.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The chief said:

Personally I thought the Dolman A block lads  helped lift the home atmosphere . Was more raucous at times, our performances in the pitch were better too , so could be a case of both factors helping out.

I guess the E34 block was also noticeable when we were expecting a big /sold out  away following - this is where it really helped crank up the noise. Didn’t have that on Saturday.

Hopefully the lads can get back there to have a go at the away fans, without annoying those who are regular ST holders In that block ..

Both things are not possible.  One or the other.

• Like 1

• Admin
52 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Been done to death on here over recent years but christ something needs to be done to improve the Ashton gate atmosphere - it is absolutely dreadful. What ever happened to the talk of S82 being expanded?

Is there the demand for it to be bigger?

I'd assume that those that wanted to be in there would have got in there by now

13 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Both things are not possible.  One or the other.

If we’re talking absolutes, then I’d be in favour of steps to improve home atmosphere. Albeit my ST is elsewhere.

Those impacted should be offered a decent seat elsewhere and maybe some of that cracking training gear with the flattened robin and massive collars. That would tempt any fan. 

1 minute ago, The chief said:

If we’re talking absolutes, then I’d be in favour of steps to improve home atmosphere. Albeit my ST is elsewhere.

Those impacted should be offered a decent seat elsewhere and maybe some of that cracking training gear with the flattened robin and massive collars. That would tempt any fan. 

There is a degree here though of where it ends.  We’ve already been down the route of the “ultras” having their dedicated section in the South Stand, then being given safe standing. Now some (not all) want block A. What happens if that’s not to the liking and they want to try somewhere else to improve the atmosphere - do we then kick those out of the lower Lansdown for example?

If fans want to go in S82 they do so with the knowledge that it’s loud, there’s singing and they buy into that. Those in Dolman A (I’m not one - but I also don’t go for the singing/cajoling away fans) have in many cases been there for years, so why should they move because someone else “fancies” that area? I’d hate to move from my current seat now, and I’d imagine the residents of A feel the same.

Total clarity - I don’t think the club should not sell tickets for there on the fear some may move there. But when there, they should abide by ground rules - that means no persistent standing etc (there’s an area designated for that) and it certainly doesn’t mean we should move existing fans in preference.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

It’s a shame, they try to get it going, but there is quite a lot in that corner who contribute nothing. Why go in there 

Calling it a singing section is embarrassing firstly and secondly the rest of the ground is so quiet. Like Saturday, and the team is not on it. It’s an away team’s dream . Quite home fans, beautiful pitch attacking towards their own fans. 

Edited by Red Army 75
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

It’s a shame, they try to get it going, but there is quite a lot in that corner who contribute nothing. Why go in there 

Calling it a singing section is embarrassing firstly and secondly the rest of the ground is so quiet. Like Saturday, and the team is not on it. It’s an away team’s dream .

There were a few reasonable atmospheres last year. I would say Watford before WC break decent, Middlesbrough over Easter not bad. Birmingham in January and one or two, Norwich at home maybe another. Cardiff at home was not bad but at the same time 12pm on a Sunday far from helpful.

Man City was, 2nd half v Swansea and WBA in the Cup not bad.

6.5-7.5/27 Home games that isn't a great ratio.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There were a few reasonable atmospheres last year. I would say Watford before WC break decent, Middlesbrough over Easter not bad. Birmingham in January and one or two, Norwich at home maybe another. Cardiff at home was not bad but at the same time 12pm on a Sunday far from helpful.

Man City was, 2nd half v Swansea and WBA in the Cup not bad.

6.5-7.5/27 Home games that isn't a great ratio.

No I totally agree, the whole ground has got involved. It’s brilliant. But so few and far between. Sometimes the team need a lift. But most of the time it’s just not there. Maybe to many mid table championship finishes 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

There is a degree here though of where it ends.  We’ve already been down the route of the “ultras” having their dedicated section in the South Stand, then being given safe standing. Now some (not all) want block A. What happens if that’s not to the liking and they want to try somewhere else to improve the atmosphere - do we then kick those out of the lower Lansdown for example?

If fans want to go in S82 they do so with the knowledge that it’s loud, there’s singing and they buy into that. Those in Dolman A (I’m not one - but I also don’t go for the singing/cajoling away fans) have in many cases been there for years, so why should they move because someone else “fancies” that area? I’d hate to move from my current seat now, and I’d imagine the residents of A feel the same.

Total clarity - I don’t think the club should not sell tickets for there on the fear some may move there. But when there, they should abide by ground rules - that means no persistent standing etc (there’s an area designated for that) and it certainly doesn’t mean we should move existing fans in preference.

Yep- all very good points. Agree we can’t be too whimsical about moving loyal fans around the ground but, this is more a case of fine tuning than ongoing wholesale changes . 
A much better outcome would be to give us a few blocks of the Ayteo like we did for the Utd cup game .  Needs more stewards but it would give us a noisy section right next to away fans as well as fans behind both goals .
Could even extend the safe standing in south stand by a block to help give more room for standers/singers.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Might be as it’s the only place where you’re allowed to stand at AG?

I know I’d prefer to stand if I had the opportunity.

16 minutes ago, The chief said:

Yep- all very good points. Agree we can’t be too whimsical about moving loyal fans around the ground but, this is more a case of fine tuning than ongoing wholesale changes . 
A much better outcome would be to give us a few blocks of the Ayteo like we did for the Utd cup game .  Needs more stewards but it would give us a noisy section right next to away fans as well as fans behind both goals .
Could even extend the safe standing in south stand by a block to help give more room for standers/singers.

I suspect you are one of our younger supporters, and your points seem reasonable, although I remain sceptical about housing fans from both clubs in the same stand, mainly for security reasons and the associated increase in costs (and potential Club fines).

Nevertheless, if you do harbour visions of sitting in the Atyeo Stand, you might do well do learn how to spell the late, great John's name correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

• Admin
43 minutes ago, The chief said:

The bit I never understood was why now (last season)? 

Away fans have been in the Atyeo stand years now so don't get why E34 is all of a sudden the place to be? 

I completely agree with Silvio Dante above 

Anyway, people had the chance to move their season tickets in the summer and a match by match sales is now available, so opportunity was / is there 

But if people just think they can rock up whenever they want to, that's not on treating a fellow supporter like that 

45 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Might be as it’s the only place where you’re allowed to stand at AG?

I know I’d prefer to stand if I had the opportunity.

and for a long time was the cheapest part of the ground 

• Like 1

I think people forget that S82 tickets are hard to get if you only go on occasion. There are plenty of people that would like to be able to stand and sing, yet cannot do so since there is no other area of the ground where it is really accepted. 

Block A was a pretty spontaneous thing at the Swansea cup game, basically happening over half time. The atmosphere did improve considerably before it, despite lower crowds. We also happened to play a lot better but it's not exactly a sample size to base anything on!

Give them the upper A block to start, make sure to give an appropriately generous offer to those who have to give up their cherished seats, then we could be on to something. 

Edited by An Outstanding Human
  • Like 3

• Admin
Just now, An Outstanding Human said:

Give them the upper A block to start, make sure to give an appropriately generous offer to those who have to give up their cherished seats, then we could be on to something. 

Why should people be expected to move? 

Like above people had the chance to move and tickets are available on a match to match basis. 

But worth remembering it's not suddenly a standing section 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

Why should people be expected to move? 

Like above people had the chance to move and tickets are available on a match to match basis. 

But worth remembering it's not suddenly a standing section 

I wouldn't have any of it to actually happen until at least next season. It's a big job no doubt. I remained ambiguous for 'generous offer' as ultimately that's just going to go down to the individual.

Something does need to change re: the atmosphere at most games and there is no way of trying to do something about it without disappointing at least a few people. I fully understand the positions of those who disagree with that decision but do think it would be of more benefit to at least thousands of others at the game if we had a way to get even the most basic chants across the ground. Not all of those that want to are sixteen year olds who want to say rather un-nice things to whoever we are 'welcoming' that week. Many City fans want to be somewhere where they can chant and bring atmosphere.

Then we will be able to do more in unison other than that distinctly Bristolian 'angry sigh' as the players make a mistake!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, phantom said:

Out of interest did you hear what changed?

Nothing really mate - large majority of the ‘youth’ who moved into A Block have all now moved back into S82 - noticed about 30 or so stood up at the front on saturday? Didnt hear them once anyway ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another point - Would rather (as someone in s82) be situated behind the goal like most clubs. This is obviously not discussing the difficulty of moving current ST holder’s there, but I believe that it would boost the atmosphere. my dad is more of a day tripper, going on occasion and likes to sit in the middle of the lansdown and says its like a library there, and unsurprising when the club put our loudest fans in the corner. If we did (and this is a big maybe) move our ‘noisiest’ fans to the centre of the south stand, it would get the whole south stand going, and if the A Blockers keep trying to get the Dolman going, there is a high chance that the atmosphere would massively improve. Most grounds ive been to in the Champ, and that is the large majority have their noisy, standing fans behind the goal, and they are louder. Get a proper home end going again, attacking that end in the second half, get the lansdown going and the dolman, it really could get it going. Then again, itz just a suggestion ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

Another point - Would rather (as someone in s82) be situated behind the goal like most clubs. This is obviously not discussing the difficulty of moving current ST holder’s there, but I believe that it would boost the atmosphere. my dad is more of a day tripper, going on occasion and likes to sit in the middle of the lansdown and says its like a library there, and unsurprising when the club put our loudest fans in the corner. If we did (and this is a big maybe) move our ‘noisiest’ fans to the centre of the south stand, it would get the whole south stand going, and if the A Blockers keep trying to get the Dolman going, there is a high chance that the atmosphere would massively improve. Most grounds ive been to in the Champ, and that is the large majority have their noisy, standing fans behind the goal, and they are louder. Get a proper home end going again, attacking that end in the second half, get the lansdown going and the dolman, it really could get it going. Then again, itz just a suggestion ?

Strikes me that often you won't get a significant atmosphere in the Lansdown, which is a shame as it does hold about 11k!

However, there are reasons why it maybe harder than other stands in there.

53 minutes ago, OliOTIB said:

The problem is S82 needs to be expanded across a few blocks.. The main issue is now there are established season ticket holders in those said blocks who are happy to sit in silence and not contribute anything to the atmosphere. You can’t just uproot existing season ticket holders, it wouldn’t be right.

This is something that should have been nipped in the bud when the redevelopment was first done, we had the perfect opportunity to make the South Stand a proper home end. The back 6 or 7 rows could have been left unreserved, at least then the singers would have been spread the whole length of the stand and not just crammed into one corner.

Personally don’t think the club have ever been that bothered about the AG atmosphere though.

It’s a numbers game for them and as long as we keep getting in 20,000 plus crowds that’s ultimately all the bean counters and the Lansdown family care about ££.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Complete aside from the original post, but not worthy of a new thread....

Atmosphere last Saturday was dreadful. Significant periods of silence. Guess flag day took a lot out of some, but it felt like a nothing game.

You wouldn’t have thought it was the opening day of a new season would you?

Atmosphere and weather wise. It was dire

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

You wouldn’t have thought it was the opening day of a new season would you?

Atmosphere and weather wise. It was dire

To be fair, and I am not one of the singers or atmosphere generators by any stretch, what we watched was pretty uninspiring.

But the performance, with the atmosphere was like a teenage Disco, where everyone wants to engage, but both are waiting for someone to go first.

• Like 3