IGNORED

‘A Block Ultras’

OliOTIB

17 minutes ago, freezer said:

Just wondering what, if any qualifications are required to be considered an 'Ultra'? 

Clothing, look, attitude, vocal talent, age? 

Watching the European ultras on tv 

most important thing seems to be wear the same clothing as everybody else and have long arms to clap above your head 

oh and be tea total as the obviously don’t go for a pie and a pint before the game to busy parading around the streets following the conductor 

fxxk that pub Clark’s pie for me 

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'll guess at stone Island, not doing your homework and not giving a sh1t, white powder residue around the nose, a couple of cans of gold, being able to do the arms outstretched sideways dance and the ability to call anyone not a City fan (and sometimes fellow City fans) 'wnakers'.

Very tongue in cheek and I clearly dont know but what do I win?

Been there got the t shirt ???

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, redkev said:

Watching the European ultras on tv 

most important thing seems to be wear the same clothing as everybody else and have long arms to clap above your head 

oh and be tea total as the obviously don’t go for a pie and a pint before the game to busy parading around the streets following the conductor 

fxxk that pub Clark’s pie for me 

Been there got the t shirt ???

Do you still have a septum Kev? ??

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tin said:

I said at the time to @Spudgun, who I stood with on the East End for many years, that should we ever play the gas, I fear our support would be pretty dire if that’s the loudest song we’ve got. 

Near the top of a long list of reasons why I hope we never play them again… the Gas at modern AG, no thanks 

1 hour ago, BUTOR said:

Near the top of a long list of reasons why I hope we never play them again… the Gas at modern AG, no thanks 

I would love to have the chance to play them if they ever get a shiny new stadium with a large allocation 3,000-4,000 

sick to death taking a paltry 1800- 2000 to that dump ( in the rain ) 

• Like 1

There is nothing ultra about our crowd or support nowadays. Except, perhaps, our indifference to what is happening on the pitch.

I blame Steve Lansdown  (why not?) Twenty years of .... well, not really going anywhere. The whole place is devoid of belief. People are there in the ground, but they might as well not be.

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

There is nothing ultra about our crowd or support nowadays. Except, perhaps, our indifference to what is happening on the pitch.

I blame Steve Lansdown  (why not?) Twenty years of .... well, not really going anywhere. The whole place is devoid of belief. People are there in the ground, but they might as well not be.

That’s a bleak assessment of us as a fan base!! 
It’s not that bad - thought atmos been better sat and Tues with something to get excited about happening on the pitch…. 
It’s not like in the old days it was ever non stop singing every game  . Over a long period we’ve been loud(ish) when we’ve had something to get excited about .. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The chief said:

That’s a bleak assessment of us as a fan base!! 
It’s not that bad - thought atmos been better sat and Tues with something to get excited about happening on the pitch…. 
It’s not like in the old days it was ever non stop singing every game  . Over a long period we’ve been loud(ish) when we’ve had something to get excited about .. 

In what good old days were there non stop singing? I think a lot of people have rose tinted glasses, we’re probably a lot younger at that time too.

I’ve been following city since the early 90s, at no point throughout that time has there been non stop singing. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

In what good old days were there non stop singing? I think a lot of people have rose tinted glasses, we’re probably a lot younger at that time too.

I’ve been following city since the early 90s, at no point throughout that time has there been non stop singing. 

The seventies and (some of) the eighties, in the EE . We really never stopped back then, it was relentless and your voice had gone when the game finished.

10 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

You clearly weren’t in the East End when it “reopened” then were you.  Especially the Championship play off season. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

You clearly weren’t in the East End when it “reopened” then were you.  Especially the Championship play off season. 

I was actually, I was one of the 248 that got season tickets in there at the start, I have to admit those years were a laugh but even then it did start to dip towards the end. 

15 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

The seventies and (some of) the eighties, in the EE . We really never stopped back then, it was relentless and your voice had gone when the game finished.

Was it really that good, or is it rose tinted glasses and an age thing?

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I remember the days of chanting 'we want, standing up', and Louie Donowa scoring against the Fewers as EastEnd highlights during my EE supporting years, aside from that, deep-end or shallow end open air toilets, the smell of cigar smoke, unclean leather jackets, shell-suits and candles post floodlight failure against Liverpool.

Gotta be honest, don't miss it as much as some do.

Had some cracking afternoon and evenings in there, mind.

Just to add.... early beamback, York and Stockport spring to mind. Could have that wrong.

Edited by Bristol Rob

2 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I was actually, I was one of the 248 that got season tickets in there at the start, I have to admit those years were a laugh but even then it did start to dip towards the end. 

We might know each other then ?

I’d gone off football before it dipped off, but dip off it did, but then I guess it’s easier to build something (and an atmosphere) on an upward peak, than it is to maintain it on a downward spiral. 

The Williams E block season is still my favourite- that was the building block for the whole thing. 

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I remember the days of chanting 'we want, standing up', and Louie Donowa scoring against the Fewers as EastEnd highlights during my EE supporting years, aside from that, deep-end or shallow end open air toilets, the smell of cigar smoke, unclean leather jackets, shell-suits and candles post floodlight failure against Liverpool.

Gotta be honest, don't miss it as much as some do.

Had some cracking afternoon and evenings in there, mind.

Just to add.... early beamback, York and Stockport spring to mind. Could have that wrong.

I never got to experience it before the Atyeo replaced it as the home end - My dad used to get us tickets in the Dolman and I can vividly remember the noise for big games coming from the EE - Liverpool and Sunderland (Not a big game as such, but opening day of season) come to mind. 

10 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

No, it was that good. It made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up -yes, I was a lot younger but it was still an incredibly exciting place to be. The noise, the surges and just the all round being part of it. It`s what made me a City fan for life.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I never got to experience it before the Atyeo replaced it as the home end - My dad used to get us tickets in the Dolman and I can vividly remember the noise for big games coming from the EE - Liverpool and Sunderland (Not a big game as such, but opening day of season) come to mind. 

We'll all have different memories of the stand, largely based on age. It makes no memory of it more or less special, just a reminder that life is but a date in time.

Chances are, when you were enjoying it, I had my feet squeezed against the seat in front of me in the Dolman (which, when I was an EE regular, Block B was almost an aspirational part of the ground to sit in).

These day, a shallow climb to my lower Lansdown seat suits me fine, let those with a bit more energy than me create an atmosphere that I'll enjoy!

• Like 1

It is very much rose tinted glasses, people remember the big games of the 1980s when there were 20,000+ v the Rovers etc and say 'there was non stop singing'. The reality was that 80% of games saw gates of 8,000 ish (very good back then mind) with some very quiet periods. 

That is not to slag off the City, I travelled all over the country in the 1980s and our home support was as passionate as many of the home supports. Many grounds in the early 80s still had huge capacities due to the terracing, , but were only 20% full a lot of the time. It is nonsense to say the atmosphere was lots better. it was certainly different - far fewer women, far fewer families, more threatening etc. but not loads different bar the biggest games.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

We'll all have different memories of the stand, largely based on age. It makes no memory of it more or less special, just a reminder that life is but a date in time.

Chances are, when you were enjoying it, I had my feet squeezed against the seat in front of me in the Dolman (which, when I was an EE regular, Block B was almost an aspirational part of the ground to sit in).

These day, a shallow climb to my lower Lansdown seat suits me fine, let those with a bit more energy than me create an atmosphere that I'll enjoy!

It’s funny, I’ve spent more time in the “Lower Lansdown” if you include the Williams, than I have anywhere else - yet remember it more for a raucous atmosphere than the shallow climb, which at this point suits me more than the treck up the stairs to the Family section - I’m seriously tempted to shell out the extra £100 just for less steps. 

5 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

It’s funny, I’ve spent more time in the “Lower Lansdown” if you include the Williams, than I have anywhere else - yet remember it more for a raucous atmosphere than the shallow climb, which at this point suits me more than the treck up the stairs to the Family section - I’m seriously tempted to shell out the extra £100 just for less steps. 

I did the Lower Williams when they had a smoking block!

(Which likely explains my joy of the shallow climb).

Just now, Bristol Rob said:

I did the Lower Williams when they had a smoking block!

(Which likely explains my joy of the shallow climb).

Those were the days - 20 before a game, 10 during it, 10 for the way home and another 20 for the Saturday night in the pub or town. 

When I say those were the days, how am I still alive? 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

It is very much rose tinted glasses, people remember the big games of the 1980s when there were 20,000+ v the Rovers etc and say 'there was non stop singing'. The reality was that 80% of games saw gates of 8,000 ish (very good back then mind) with some very quiet periods. 

That is not to slag off the City, I travelled all over the country in the 1980s and our home support was as passionate as many of the home supports. Many grounds in the early 80s still had huge capacities due to the terracing, , but were only 20% full a lot of the time. It is nonsense to say the atmosphere was lots better. it was certainly different - far fewer women, far fewer families, more threatening etc. but not loads different bar the biggest games.

This is what I meant, there would had been games with really low crowds etc. 

Also, a lot who went that stage are likely to not have had a wife and kids at home, no family, able to drink plenty of beer and had lots of mates around you. 

49 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

We might know each other then ?

I’d gone off football before it dipped off, but dip off it did, but then I guess it’s easier to build something (and an atmosphere) on an upward peak, than it is to maintain it on a downward spiral. 

The Williams E block season is still my favourite- that was the building block for the whole thing. 

That first season in there, when they didn’t have “overflow” and was purely the 248 was the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1