IGNORED

Pompey’s new manager announced

Jerseybean

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Pompey new manager announced https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64335646

Oxford United reserve centre half. Apparently his wife is the daughter of Pompey’s director of football.

Portsmouth have appointed Oxford United player-coach John Mousinho as their new head coach on a "long-term contract".

It is the 36-year-old's first managerial role since gaining his pro licence last year.

The appointment comes after Portsmouth sacked former head coach Danny Cowley on 2 January following a run of nine League One games without a win.

Ex-Burton, Stevenage, Wycombe and Brentford defender Mousinho made eight appearances for Oxford this season.

"The club and I are share similar ambitions and we're focused on delivering the short and long-term success that the supporters here deserve," Mousinho, who will be standing down from his role as chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association players' board following his appointment, told the club website.

"After meeting with Andrew Cullen (chief executive) and Richard Hughes (sporting director), I really bought into the process and am pleased that the club have also bought into me, giving me this fantastic opportunity.

"I want our team to play on the front foot, with aggressive and attacking football that will win games and entertain the fans."

John Mousinho will be a great head coach. He's been at OUFC not to be 'reserve centre-half' but to learn his trade with Karl Robinson while working on his UEFA Pro License. He's played an important role tactically with the club (e.g. on set pieces), and knows League One inside out. It also shows a real shift towards clubs valuing UEFO Pro Licenses, and coaches with up-to-date methods (keep in mind that the Pro takes 18 months and builds upon 4 levels of qualification below it). I have a hunch his character, temperament, and qualifications will be great for Pompey, and in a year's time we might even be a bit envious. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, phantom said:

Portsmouth have appointed Oxford United player-coach John Mousinho as their new head coach on a "long-term contract".

It is the 36-year-old's first managerial role since gaining his pro licence last year.

The appointment comes after Portsmouth sacked former head coach Danny Cowley on 2 January following a run of nine League One games without a win.

Ex-Burton, Stevenage, Wycombe and Brentford defender Mousinho made eight appearances for Oxford this season.

"The club and I are share similar ambitions and we're focused on delivering the short and long-term success that the supporters here deserve," Mousinho, who will be standing down from his role as chairman of the Professional Footballers' Association players' board following his appointment, told the club website.

"After meeting with Andrew Cullen (chief executive) and Richard Hughes (sporting director), I really bought into the process and am pleased that the club have also bought into me, giving me this fantastic opportunity.

"I want our team to play on the front foot, with aggressive and attacking football that will win games and entertain the fans."

I wonder where all the Managers are that say "I want my team to play on the back foot, passive, dull, defensive football". I don't think there are any that aim for that, but somehow many mange to achieve it.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I wonder where all the Managers are that say "I want my team to play on the back foot, passive, dull, defensive football". I don't think there are any that aim for that, but somehow many mange to achieve it.

There must be a script lying around somewhere, because virtually all managers say what he said, you could cut & paste this for Dean Holden.

Bottom line is you cut your cloth accordingly, Pompey are underachieving & their supporters will want to start winning, I doubt they care how they do it.

3 hours ago, Cyderman said:

Hopefully that's not quite accurate, since Google suggests Pompey's director of football is 34

Sorry, I was wrong. The info was via a mate who is a Pompey fan. When I asked him to clarify he said ‘There had to be some nepotistic reason to appoint a reserve centre half to the job, the fans are not happy, he will not make next season.’ Basic translation - he made it up!

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

There must be a script lying around somewhere, because virtually all managers say what he said, you could cut & paste this for Dean Holden.

Bottom line is you cut your cloth accordingly, Pompey are underachieving & their supporters will want to start winning, I doubt they care how they do it.

I recall when Holden said it I copied and pasted Jonathan Woodgate’s opening manager speech, it was pretty much word for word with Dean’s.

• Thanks 1