IGNORED

Seven years ago today….

Jerseybean

I mean are we still trotting out the line ‘LJ signed 63 players’ or ‘63 players were signed during LJ’s tenure’ as I’m sure we can very much debate how many of them were Ashton signings that LJ didn’t want or players signed to the academy he had no interest in. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

LJ kept us fighting at the top end of the Championship for the majority of his tenure, plus the best cup run in a lot of people's living memory, and many of those 63 played their part in that, to a greater or lesser extent. Ultimately LJ couldn't achieve promotion in the 5 seasons he was afforded. He also seemed to run out of ideas at the end, so it was right that he was replaced. It's also right that we have been cutting the wages bill and trimming the squad. 

I doubt if LJ personally had much to do with negotiating signing-on fees or wages - his job was in the dugout, not the Payroll office.

I've said before on different threads, I look back on the LJ years with relative fondness. I though he was OK - I certainly don't see his time as a disaster. I've been a supporter since the 1970s and for far too much of that time we've been languishing below the second tier, so LJ's 5 seasons of Championship football without fear of relegation is a positive for me. 

Yes there have been some financial issues as a result of the buying and selling policies pursued by the previous regime (not necessarily LJ personally himself), but on the pitch and in the League table things were pretty healthy IMHO.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Is a big Cardiff City fan that used to hate us (probably still does) 

I remember him from twitter years ago. Found it odd he ended up reporting on us!

Blimey, don’t tell Nige..

He is already pretty “spiky” with him at press conferences, can’t imagine what he’d be like with that nugget.

At least I know his writing is as shite as his questions now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Matt Withers is the fans reporter for EP / BCO.  They also do regular requests for fans to contribute.  I used to do my “what can I expect” opposition piece for them too.  They get good fan collaboration imho.

I must admit the only time I see EP/BW is when it's quoted on here. It seems to me the main hacks for the fewers have always been (deluded) fans, whereas City never have had "fans" even Godsiff (the best ever imho) was a Bournemouth fan (when they were B&BAFC) The only fan I can remember was Herbie Gillam from WDP (is that still going ?).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I must admit the only time I see EP/BW is when it's quoted on here. It seems to me the main hacks for the fewers have always been (deluded) fans, whereas City never have had "fans" even Godsiff (the best ever imho) was a Bournemouth fan (when they were B&BAFC) The only fan I can remember was Herbie Gillam from WDP (is that still going ?).

I never read the Gas stuff on there but I bet if I asked some on here for their opinion on Sam Frost, you’d get some interesting responses! ?

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Richard Latham is definitely a red. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Even then, I seem to remember him being a bit "eggy" with all things City ?

He was opinionated (a big fan of John Ward, for instance) but I don’t think anyone could say we weren’t his club & he certainly knows his stuff.

• Like 1