IGNORED

no smart phone? then you'll not get in to Leeds v Man Utd

Never to the dark side

7 minutes ago, Pezo said:

What happens to the people that can't afford £75?

Now they have to buy a £75 phone, a membership and then they can buy a ticket. Barriers to entry seem to be growing.

The Leeds FAQs make it clear that alternative ticketing options are available if you do not have a smartphone. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

I have used digital tickets before at a couple of grounds where I went as a neutral but saying people whose phones run out of battery can't attend is completely unreasonable I think. Needs to be alternatives as already stated.

Not sure that is the most unreasonable bit. You remember to charge your phone before setting off. A bit like you remember to pick up your paper/card ticket before you set off now. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pezo said:

What happens to the people that can't afford £75?

Now they have to buy a £75 phone, a membership and then they can buy a ticket. Barriers to entry seem to be growing.

If you can afford Premier League football then you can probably afford a £75 phone. And if you’re on a low income you’re likely claiming Universal Credit which you’d be expected to do digitally. They’re by no means a luxury nowadays. 

Think depends if you need a screenshot or the ticket open when you get there. Been to concerts that need ticket open when you get there so the line is visible up and down the ticket and due to amount of people there, some people can’t open there ticket for the signal is poor too many using it. 

43 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Cue massive queues.

As you see at Lidl when someone unused to smart phones has been persuauded to get the App but can't get it to work like it did at home because they don't understand mobile data.

Yet another reason to go non-league on top of being able to stand rather than being crushed into a small plastic seat designed for a primary school and which is freezing cold in winter and meltingly hot in the summer, to park at the ground, to be able to drive away without a massive jam, and to have a beer.

I’m pretty sure they’ll have made this decision after looking at the data they have for entry times. And they’ll be confident that at worst it won’t affect queue times.

To be honest, my experience at supermarkets is that it’s people paying with their phones who are quickest. The slowest are those paying with good old fashioned cash. Who wait until everything is packed and then seem surprised to remember that they have to pay, rummage around in a bag trying to find a purse, then count out every last coin to see if they have the right money! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Think depends if you need a screenshot or the ticket open when you get there. Been to concerts that need ticket open when you get there so the line is visible up and down the ticket and due to amount of people there, some people can’t open there ticket for the signal is poor too many using it. 

Very true. Happens frequently when I go to Bristol O2 Academy and I end up in the queue at the window for them to print off my ticket so I can gain entry. 

As for the point made about a £75 phone us not a major expense, I agree but that's not the end cost. You still need to run the phone and I can understand someone's annoyance about having to consistently pay for a service that they don't want or feel they should need. 

• Like 1

Just now, italian dave said:

Not sure that is the most unreasonable bit. You remember to charge your phone before setting off. A bit like you remember to pick up your paper/card ticket before you set off now. 

It's unreasonable to assume that all people's phones chargers/charging ports work correctly at all time on matchday and then put on their website that they aren't offering an alternative if things go wrong (whether exaggerated or not). Hypothetically if I lost my bcfc match ticket that I bought online would I not be able to go to the ticket office and give them a few details about myself and possibly get my ticket reprinted anyway?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Reading the Leeds Q&A linked above, it looks like you have to download the ticket to your Apple wallet on your phone (or Google equivalent) and scan from there. As for train, plane tickets etc, you don’t need a phone signal to access.

The Q&As also refer to mobile season tickets. Wonder if this will end the annual fretting about whether the postman will deliver the season cards before the first match! 

I can’t see why Leeds are making things difficult. With any purchase you make online you get an automated email confirming the purchase. When purchasing a ticket from City it’s the same and the email contains the barcode. If Leeds’ scanners can recognise a barcode on a phone they should be able to recognise a barcode on a printed paper ticket. Unfortunately, this still leaves one excluded group - those  who don’t have a smart phone or a PC with a printer at home.  I guess this would be a fairly small group so posting tickets, at an additional cost (nothing is free with football clubs) would not be that difficult 

14 minutes ago, eardun said:

Reading the Leeds Q&A linked above, it looks like you have to download the ticket to your Apple wallet on your phone (or Google equivalent) and scan from there. As for train, plane tickets etc, you don’t need a phone signal to access.

The Q&As also refer to mobile season tickets. Wonder if this will end the annual fretting about whether the postman will deliver the season cards before the first match! 

I guess there must be a way to send the ticket by text and then download it? One wouldn’t need a smartphone then. Still a problem if your phone is stolen, damaged or lost

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64497260 this article says Leeds have done it primarily to stop ticket touts, '

"You can track from its sale right through to the person that presents it for entry at the gate. You can monitor how many tickets an account is transferring every year.' 

My question is can they still track it if a tout simply screenshotted the barcode and sent that photo to someone?

4 hours ago, City oz said:

Digital tickets have been around unfortunately for a few years now and stored in a data base where you would normally print out at home and then use the print out manually at the venue of where ever you booked. It is a sign of the times unfortunately. Every one now must have a basic smart phone and therefore should not be a problem and simply just show your QR barcode on your phone. This will speed up the process and it also helps speed up the entry to any event.

Unfortunately many older and disabled people do not have smart phones, my FIL has Parkinson’s he simply can’t use a smart phone (barely use a phone with buttons tbh) there still needs to be other options 

3 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Why ? It' s the way all tickets will be in the future. One of the drivers behind it is to stop ticket touting. Most concert tickets have been digital only for a couple of years now.

BecUse as above, its not inclusive

edit: just to add, I fully get the reasons and as it turns out there is an alternative option so not a big deal. I just don’t like the attitude of “get with the times” some people can’t, there’s no reason they should be excluded from events

Edited by MarcusX
  • Like 10

£0.60 to print a ticket in colour at the library.

You can get a smart phone for a relatively cheap amount in the grand scheme but it doesn't sit well.

I have a smart phone , sure we all do on here- fully cognisant with how it all works but why take away the option. Doesn't sit well.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

If you can afford Premier League football then you can probably afford a £75 phone. And if you’re on a low income you’re likely claiming Universal Credit which you’d be expected to do digitally. They’re by no means a luxury nowadays. 

Welcome to elitist Britain in 2023.

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Why ? It' s the way all tickets will be in the future. One of the drivers behind it is to stop ticket touting. Most concert tickets have been digital only for a couple of years now.

How is this stopping touts? With Ticketmaster you can transfer your digital ticket to someone else who has a Ticketmaster account (assuming this is with all gigs through them). If they wanted to stop touting they would stop it, or at least make it a lot more difficult with IDs involved.

As for people saying everyone should have a smartphone, everyone doesn't have one, and plenty of elderly people simply don't want one as they don't like change.

33 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Welcome to elitist Britain in 2023.

On the first point…..yep, sadly so……although it’s part of a much bigger issue about wealth and inequality in Britain.

On the second, not sure that’s an issue of elitism…the opposite. Internet and something to connect to it are as a ‘utility’ nowadays - which is what the price increases they’re allowed to get away with are outrageous. But that’s probably for another thread! 

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I guess there must be a way to send the ticket by text and then download it? One wouldn’t need a smartphone then. Still a problem if your phone is stolen, damaged or lost

Think you’d need a smart phone for Apple wallet/Google equivalent 

36 minutes ago, italian dave said:

On the first point…..yep, sadly so……although it’s part of a much bigger issue about wealth and inequality in Britain.

On the second, not sure that’s an issue of elitism…the opposite. Internet and something to connect to it are as a ‘utility’ nowadays - which is what the price increases they’re allowed to get away with are outrageous. But that’s probably for another thread! 

I hope people that go to football realise when they protests against the rich that they are the rich.

Most digital tickets need to be validated / activated when you arrive at the stadium ( otherwise people just take screenshots of their mates ticket). This usually requires Bluetooth and, more importantly, a system that can stand up to 40000 people arriving in one place and trying to log in at the same time. For the World Cup in Qatar- perhaps one of the most digital countries in the world- it was an absolute shambles for some fans.

6 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’m pretty sure they’ll have made this decision after looking at the data they have for entry times. And they’ll be confident that at worst it won’t affect queue times.

To be honest, my experience at supermarkets is that it’s people paying with their phones who are quickest. The slowest are those paying with good old fashioned cash. Who wait until everything is packed and then seem surprised to remember that they have to pay, rummage around in a bag trying to find a purse, then count out every last coin to see if they have the right money! 

When the phones work!

I have been behind people having to run out to their car to find a card to pay.

• Haha 1