IGNORED

Matty James floating set pieces

Vidal

10 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Compare the Wigan dead ball delivery with ours and it was chalk and cheese. We haven’t got anybody who can take a decent corner or free kick. James - hopeless; Scott - inconsistent; Naismith - woeful. It’s not even the hardest thing to practice. Such a waste of good opportunities because of the poor delivery.

I think that the height of the 2 teams was also chalk and cheese. With so few taller players our delivery has to be just about perfect

The difference in quality of corners last night was massive. Wigan from memory, hit one bad corner, which was the the one straight as I praised how good and consistent they had been.

Our dead ball delivery has been all over the place for some time. Scott came in the team , did them well now can't seem to cope. James did the same, Naismith looked good to start then quality has dropped (plus he's sure more of a threat on the other end of a cross). 

I was impressed with the standard of Wigans corners, but it has to be said that they didn't really cause many more problems than ours. Really don't know the answer to this.

More of the same when it came to the FKs from Matty James today, floaty nothing balls in. I know Naismith would normally take them when fit, but surely we have to have someone else who is better than James and can actually fizz a ball in with some pace on it.

FWIW, aside from his succession of poor FKs, thought James played really well today.

Edited by old_eastender
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, old_eastender said:

More of the same when it came to the FKs from Matty James today, floaty nothing balls in. I know Naismith would normally take them when fit, but surely we have to have someone else who is better than James and can actually fizz a ball in with some pace on it.

FWIW, aside from his succession of poor FKs, thought James played really well today.

Surely free kicks and corners would be practiced in training and if the free kick/corner taker is delivering generally delivering floaty ones it has been practiced and is a tactical decision for the team

Just my thoughts 

Here are all James’s set-pieces yesterday.

I think they are generally hit into good areas, but we aren’t a big side.  I don’t see them as floaty per se.  Did anyone watch Reading’s last week, they were more “floaty”, but they’ve got Andy Carroll attacking those types.  We’ve not got anyone like that.  Less so with Atkinson potentially out.