IGNORED

Another one gone

Vidal

8 minutes ago, TheReds said:

None of us will know, but before he left he did lose 4 from 5 and that was against Brum, Coventry, WBA (they were awful back then)  and Hudds, and that was the start of their rapid downfall. I still cannot see them being anywhere close to where they are now though if he did stay, but think they have had a lot of injuries as well. The new manager really needs some sort of bounce as player and club confidence must be so low, if they don't get some points soon it could get very twitchy for them.

Fair point - they had gone on a blip - but 3 of those games were during time where speculation was rife about his future which may have impacted performances. As you say, we'll never know.

I had seen them early on v Hull City and they were excellent. Organised, attacking minded and very comfortable with ball at foot. Quite the contrast to now, it must be said. One of my best friends is a QPR season ticket holder and can't believe what they are serving up at present.

I think they have just got enough to see them safe, but if there is another weekend like this one just gone, where all the bottom sides got points - they will be soon looking over their shoulder, unless the new manager can come in and get the best out of the group. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sandhurst Red said:

Fair point - they had gone on a blip - but 3 of those games were during time where speculation was rife about his future which may have impacted performances. As you say, we'll never know.

I had seen them early on v Hull City and they were excellent. Organised, attacking minded and very comfortable with ball at foot. Quite the contrast to now, it must be said. One of my best friends is a QPR season ticket holder and can't believe what they are serving up at present.

I think they have just got enough to see them safe, but if there is another weekend like this one just gone, where all the bottom sides got points - they will be soon looking over their shoulder, unless the new manager can come in and get the best out of the group. 

Agreed that speculation wouldn't have helped. 

I watched one of their games and they were superb and that may have been before we played them. They should get enough points to stay up and you'd have to expect them to get some points out of the games against the teams below them, but it wouldn't be the biggest shock to see them dragged down right into it. If they go behind/lose on the weekend at home then the atmosphere could get extremely toxic if it hasn't already.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

QPR and Wycombe have agreed compensation.

Now it's up to Ainsworth- that final game is looking a bit harder now.

If they pick up their performances then a middle of the table , end of the season kick about in the sun is the most likely result.

No guarantees that Ainsworth will still be in the job though. 

Edited by Major Isewater

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

If they pick up their performances then a middle of the table , end of the season kick about in the sun is the most likely result.

No guarantees that Ainsworth will still be in the job though. 

True. Still I worry about if we needed something to have a chance of playoffs that'd probably make it a bit harder under Ainsworth than Critchley (who by the way was absolutely fine at Blackpool but it seemed not to work at QPR).

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Ex-Caretaker manager too.  Twice.

There was a doc where there old chairman, Briatore is in the stand moaning about how shit Ainsworth is and that he needs to change it…..instructs him to make a sub, sub comes on and scores, Briatore goes Mad in a happy way. ?

23 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Yes, the frugality of the last few years has paid off - I can`t imagine they have any FFP worries. Good luck to them if they get there doing things the right way and with no PP to help them out.

I`ve got to say, the noise when their winner went in v Blades yesterday made the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

Don't tell anyone, but I secretly like Milwall (whenever we aren't playing them of course).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Don't tell anyone, but I secretly like Milwall (whenever we aren't playing them of course).

Proper club with loud and passionate fans. Would much rather play a Millwall than a Fulham. Always makes for a better atmosphere. I think 'admire' is a better word to describe them than 'like' when it comes to Millwall.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Vidal said:

Don’t get the love in with Ainsworth. 

Blokes a miracle worker. Took over in league 2, got them promoted, then achieved their highest ever position when they got promoted to the championship. 

All working with tiny budgets, tiny ground.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Selred said:

Blokes a miracle worker. Took over in league 2, got them promoted, then achieved their highest ever position when they got promoted to the championship. 

All working with tiny budgets, tiny ground.

Weren’t they mid table when they got promoted to the championships? Burton, Yeovil, Scunthorpe the list of clubs goes on…..plenty of small sides with no money have got into the champ. Has signed plenty of championship quality players, haven’t seen the likes of Fleetwood and Morecombe do that.

Done a good job, but miracle worker? OTT in my view. 

Edited by Vidal

1 hour ago, Vidal said:

Weren’t they mid table when they got promoted to the championships? Burton, Yeovil, Scunthorpe the list of clubs goes on…..plenty of small sides with no money have got into the champ. Has signed plenty of championship quality players, haven’t seen the likes of Fleetwood and Morecombe do that.

Done a good job, but miracle worker? OTT in my view. 

They were league two when he took over. Yes Burton, Yeovil, Scunthorpe all have been in the Champ, but it's still a massive achievement. Look at League One this season!

Can you let me know what "championship quality players" he signed? 

22 minutes ago, Selred said:

They were league two when he took over. Yes Burton, Yeovil, Scunthorpe all have been in the Champ, but it's still a massive achievement. Look at League One this season!

Can you let me know what "championship quality players" he signed? 

Sam Vokes, Gareth Mcleary, Jordan Obita, Josh Scowen, Alfie Mawson, Jordan Willis, Lewis Wing - all with 100+ championship appearances. This idea they have no money just isn’t true.

50 minutes ago, Vidal said:

This idea they have no money just isn’t true.

What’s your definition of “no money”?

I think most of us are referring to them having a fraction of the budget of lots of clubs, and therefore Ainsworth has punched well above his weight at WW.  They deal in free transfers.

9.1 Qualifying as a small company

For accounting periods beginning on or after 1 January 2016, a small company must meet at least 2 of the following conditions:

annual turnover must be not more than £10.2 million

the balance sheet total must be not more than £5.1 million

the average number of employees must be not more than 50

For accounting periods beginning before 1 January 2016 the thresholds were:

annual turnover must be not more than £6.5 million

the balance sheet total must be not more than £3.26 million

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

What’s your definition of “no money”?

I think most of us are referring to them having a fraction of the budget of lots of clubs, and therefore Ainsworth has punched well above his weight at WW.  They deal in free transfers.

9.1 Qualifying as a small company

For accounting periods beginning on or after 1 January 2016, a small company must meet at least 2 of the following conditions:

annual turnover must be not more than £10.2 million

the balance sheet total must be not more than £5.1 million

For accounting periods beginning before 1 January 2016 the thresholds were:

annual turnover must be not more than £6.5 million

the balance sheet total must be not more than £3.26 million

who is it they are punching above that they shouldn’t be? Charlton and Portsmouth - serial underachievers recovering from financial disasters. Who else? Look at league 1…..fleetwood, morecombe, port vale? Exeter? Accrington? 

He has done a good job, but he has had a level of resource that other clubs could only dream of at the stages of the careers they are in. 

Edited by Vidal
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, Vidal said:

Sam Vokes, Gareth Mcleary, Jordan Obita, Josh Scowen, Alfie Mawson, Jordan Willis, Lewis Wing - all with 100+ championship appearances. This idea they have no money just isn’t true.

A lot are often injury prone, and out of contract. If they were "Championship quality" I'd argue they'd be in the Championship now.

This is why they aren't Championship players anymore. Willis has been out of contract for 6 months for example, and only came in because Mawson has retired. Wing was on loan in League One last season, and is only on a short term contract, McCleary is 35 (!) and was out of contract 4 months before joining Wycombe. None are big money signings.

So actually it's more of a case that Wycombe that sign players on frees, takes risks (injury prone but good players, hoping they can help get them fit), and have low contracts with some decent appearance bonus clauses. They've spent no money this season for example on transfer fees, and are 7th.

It's a club being run correctly. They also are one of the few clubs to make a profit. This is in part because Ainsworth got them promoted to the Championship, perhaps meaning they can pay a bit more on wages (I don't know if this is the case), but that's due to Ainsworth's results (not Ainsworth results due to them having money).

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Vidal said:

Mccleary - 33yo when he signed for them and out of contract

Vokes - 32yo  (previous season only 5 starts and 1 goal all season in the Championship)

Obita - 23 appearances in the 3 previous seasons in the Championship

Scowen - 2 seasons in League one before signing for them

Mawson - signed on loan in League 2 at aged 20, after spells on loan in the conference (hardly a Championship player then)

I would be interested to hear your comments if Pearson went and signed any of them, and told us all that they were Championship class players when they were signed. You seem to think everyone seems to go overboard with praise on here, yet it looks like you have gone way, way, way OTT with your assessment of Wycombe Wanderers imo.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, 2015 said:

Proper club with loud and passionate fans. Would much rather play a Millwall than a Fulham. Always makes for a better atmosphere. I think 'admire' is a better word to describe them than 'like' when it comes to Millwall.

Whenever I stay in London for work, I usually head for Bermondsey, if Millwall are home, to catch a game. The atmosphere is as near as you get to 'old school' and I like that.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Mccleary - 33yo when he signed for them and out of contract

Vokes - 32yo  (previous season only 5 starts and 1 goal all season in the Championship)

Obita - 23 appearances in the 3 previous seasons in the Championship

Scowen - 2 seasons in League one before signing for them

Mawson - signed on loan in League 2 at aged 20, after spells on loan in the conference (hardly a Championship player then)

I would be interested to hear your comments if Pearson went and signed any of them, and told us all that they were Championship class players when they were signed. You seem to think everyone seems to go overboard with praise on here, yet it looks like you have gone way, way, way OTT with your assessment of Wycombe Wanderers imo.

You can pick and choose statistics to suit an argument it’s a waste of time. I could say Mccleary 300+ champ appearances, obita 150 signed when 29. Scowen 150 champ appearances. Mawson went back to them earlier in the season this isn’t about when he was 20.

1 hour ago, Selred said:

A lot are often injury prone, and out of contract. If they were "Championship quality" I'd argue they'd be in the Championship now.

This is why they aren't Championship players anymore. Willis has been out of contract for 6 months for example, and only came in because Mawson has retired. Wing was on loan in League One last season, and is only on a short term contract, McCleary is 35 (!) and was out of contract 4 months before joining Wycombe. None are big money signings.

So actually it's more of a case that Wycombe that sign players on frees, takes risks (injury prone but good players, hoping they can help get them fit), and have low contracts with some decent appearance bonus clauses. They've spent no money this season for example on transfer fees, and are 7th.

It's a club being run correctly. They also are one of the few clubs to make a profit. This is in part because Ainsworth got them promoted to the Championship, perhaps meaning they can pay a bit more on wages (I don't know if this is the case), but that's due to Ainsworth's results (not Ainsworth results due to them having money).

No one said they were big money signings. Yes McCleary is 35, he wasn’t when he signed for them though so another pointless intervention.

19 minutes ago, Vidal said:

You can pick and choose statistics to suit an argument it’s a waste of time. I could say Mccleary 300+ champ appearances, obita 150 signed when 29. Scowen 150 champ appearances. Mawson went back to them earlier in the season this isn’t about when he was 20.

I've simply added some substance to a simple list that you provided, unsure why you seem to get so defensive when anyone replies to you. Stats are backing up my point!!

It is pretty obvious to everyone who seems to be looking in that Wycombe are pretty skint, they are searching for players that are either past their prime but still have ability, have had injury issues so are cheap, OOC, free, cheap etc etc etc. Yet you seem to think they weren't, or aren't punching above their weight. That have massively overachieved with what they have.

As for Mawson playing for Wycombe this season - it pretty much proves the point being made, he made 11 appearances for us and got injured, he re-signed for Wycombe this season. A huge risk for any club signing him and taking a punt and then he got injured and retired. 

Again, would you be happy if Pearson signed any, or all of the ones on your list?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vidal said:

19 minutes ago, Vidal said:

No one said they were big money signings. Yes McCleary is 35, he wasn’t when he signed for them though so another pointless intervention.

But you are picking the statistics. The players you mentioned may of once been Championship quality, but aren't anymore. 

They haven't signed Championship players in their prime, most of the players you quoting were either playing League One just prior to being signed (Obita, Scowen), or out of contract (Mawson, Willis, McClearly).

McCleary was out of contract for 4 months before signing for Wycombe for example. He was also signed by them aged 32, when they were in the Championship. His salary is probably very low, because before joining Wycombe he was earning £0 per week unattached.

• Like 2