IGNORED

Another one gone

Vidal

2 hours ago, Vidal said:

who is it they are punching above that they shouldn’t be? Charlton and Portsmouth - serial underachievers recovering from financial disasters. Who else? Look at league 1…..fleetwood, morecombe, port vale? Exeter? Accrington? 

He has done a good job, but he has had a level of resource that other clubs could only dream of at the stages of the careers they are in. 

What’s your definition of “no money” as in its not as if they’ve no money?

I’m trying to understand your rationale for the statement.

You then go and choose 5 clubs with low budgets (also), tiny in Stanley’s case…but none of which have achieved promotion, and without checking none have achieved a play-off position in Lg1 either.

We see in the Championship the haves and the have nots.  Most of the have nots can be relatively competitive, but very few attain league position success.  That what Ainsworth has done, that’s the difference.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Selred said:

But you are picking the statistics. The players you mentioned may of once been Championship quality, but aren't anymore. 

They haven't signed Championship players in their prime, most of the players you quoting were either playing League One just prior to being signed (Obita, Scowen), or out of contract (Mawson, Willis, McClearly).

McCleary was out of contract for 4 months before signing for Wycombe for example. He was also signed by them aged 32, when they were in the Championship. His salary is probably very low, because before joining Wycombe he was earning £0 per week unattached.

You’re missing the point, the question is why did these players go to Wycombe and not Port Vale, Forest Green, Morecombe, Accrington, Fleetwood etc. I’m not going to ask because it is obvious, this idea they are some tiny finish in a big L1 pond is nonsense. Is he doing a good job, yes…..but people on here are OTT as they are with Pearson. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Vidal said:

You’re missing the point, the question is why did these players go to Wycombe and not Port Vale, Forest Green, Morecombe, Accrington, Fleetwood etc. I’m not going to ask because it is obvious, this idea they are some tiny finish in a big L1 pond is nonsense. Is he doing a good job, yes…..but people on here are OTT as they are with Pearson. 

Because Wycombe got a bonus from getting promoted? So they can afford slightly more wages than the minnows. But their wages will be a lot lower than most of League One still.

Look at the Wycombe squad when they got promoted. How many of those were proven championship players?

24 minutes ago, Selred said:

Because Wycombe got a bonus from getting promoted? So they can afford slightly more wages than the minnows. But their wages will be a lot lower than most of League One still.

Look at the Wycombe squad when they got promoted. How many of those were proven championship players?

I'm still waiting for answers on the Pearson thread and this one regarding questions about players. I reckon you have no chance either, bar a load of deflection.

There is definitely some sort of agenda going on by Vidal on here.

16 minutes ago, TheReds said:

I'm still waiting for answers on the Pearson thread and this one regarding questions about players. I reckon you have no chance either, bar a load of deflection.

I think the broader question is, if Vidal is so sure of his/her/their opinions, why he/she/they have decided to create a new account as opposed to reverting to their old one and username…

24 minutes ago, Selred said:

Good your making progress, you can acknowledge that the wages they pay are more than a number of other sides in that division - add in location, berks/bucks border no wonder players will perhaps prefer them to other less fancied and financially equipped options.

I don’t know why people pretend to be in the know or why you state that their wages will be a lot lower than “most of league 1”.

You have no evidence for that, it’s just a pointless statement to try and boost your argument. Ipswich, Derby, Sheff Wed obviously, as for the rest who knows, you certainly don’t.

27 minutes ago, TheReds said:

I don’t know what post you referring too.

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the broader question is, if Vidal is so sure of his/her/their opinions, why he/she/they have decided to create a new account as opposed to reverting to their old one and username…

I seen the previous name "waconda" banded about but I don't know why that account has gone and has now opened a new one?

Anyone enlighten me?

2 hours ago, Vidal said:

You can pick and choose statistics to suit an argument it’s a waste of time. I could say Mccleary 300+ champ appearances, obita 150 signed when 29. Scowen 150 champ appearances. 

Yes - but those appearances were long before they signed for Wycombe!

That's the point - at the time they joined Wycombe pretty much no-one else wanted them. Certainly not Championship clubs. Thus, describing them as "Championship quality players" is a stretch, at best.

By your logic - Joe Jordan 200 games for Leeds, 100 games for Man U, 50 games for AC Milan, 50 caps for Scotland, played at 3 World Cups. Yes indeed, people, we signed a world class player there.   

Not when we signed him he wasn't - with the utmost respect to the Great Man.  

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vidal said:

Good your making progress, you can acknowledge that the wages they pay are more than a number of other sides in that division - add in location, berks/bucks border no wonder players will perhaps prefer them to other less fancied and financially equipped options.

I don’t know why people pretend to be in the know or why you state that their wages will be a lot lower than “most of league 1”.

You have no evidence for that, it’s just a pointless statement to try and boost your argument. Ipswich, Derby, Sheff Wed obviously, as for the rest who knows, you certainly don’t.

I never said they are the lowest payers in the league. But they also are one of the few clubs that make profit, so therefore it's clear they spend a lot less on wages than most of league one.

Do you know the opposite?

Just now, Selred said:

I never said they are the lowest payers in the league. But they also are one of the few clubs that make profit, so therefore it's clear they spend a lot less on wages than most of league one.

Do you know the opposite?

I think this shows your naivety and lack of understand of the wider footballing context. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes - but those appearances were long before they signed for Wycombe!

That's the point - at the time they joined Wycombe pretty much no-one else wanted them. Certainly not Championship clubs. Thus, describing them as "Championship quality players" is a stretch, at best.

By your logic - Joe Jordan 200 games for Leeds, 100 games for Man U, 50 games for AC Milan, 50 caps for Scotland, played at 3 World Cups. Yes indeed, people, we signed a world class player there.   

Not when we signed him he wasn't - with the utmost respect to the Great Man.  

Of course, goes without saying. Was a response to whoever the poster was stating something equally pointless.

8 hours ago, Vidal said:

Burton, Yeovil, Scunthorpe the list of clubs goes on…..plenty of small sides with no money have got into the champ. Has signed plenty of championship quality players, haven’t seen the likes of Fleetwood and Morecombe do that. Done a good job, but miracle worker? OTT in my view. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

On 19/02/2023 at 21:18, CodeRed said:

Critchley won his first game in charge of QPR - new manager bounce ? - and hasn't won since in the following 11 games. 

That's 18 out of the 24 Championship clubs who have changed manager since the start of the season ....so far!

Crazy division.

That stat is just ridiculous, football needs some kind of a reset, a reality check. 18 managers sacked in 7 months, madness.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

That stat is just ridiculous, football needs some kind of a reset, a reality check. 18 managers sacked in 7 months, madness.

Some will have moved elsewhere- e.g. Neil to Stoke, Beale to Rangers and I suspect there would have been one or two others.

Ah yes- Warne to Derby! Jones to Southampton.

Just the 14 sackings then...

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

29 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

4 clubs have made the change twice. Some enforced like QPR losing Beale, but still. 3 managers in a season isn't particularly unusual this term.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1