IGNORED

John McPhail in a bad way after a fall.

Lanterne Rouge

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

When he scored the only time ive been to two city leauge games in two days on the trot

Walsall at home and port vale away the day before? My memory might be playing tricks but did we beat Walsall with 10 men from 1 nil down? Was a great atmosphere iirc 

• Like 1

He was a class player, I think we signed him when he was 31 so coming into the twilight of his career. If I recall he was injured for quite a while 20 games? Denis Smith signed him for Sunderland where he became a icon playing into his late 30's. Smith had previously had him at York. It's a sad thing to say nowadays with brain injuries to former players but he could head a ball further than many centre halves could kick it. He didn't play many games for us but has always left a lasting impression on me of what could of been if he stayed here a little longer.

Good luck John and I'm happy to donate if there's a link.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, milo1111 said:

Walsall at home and port vale away the day before? My memory might be playing tricks but did we beat Walsall with 10 men from 1 nil down? Was a great atmosphere iirc 

Yes, Keith Curle sent off, I think. One nil down, and already, Walsall were a bit of a "bogey" team, we had played 4 lost 4 on our return to Div 3. Just the 10,000 there (actually, a "big" crowd for Div 3 back then) but as you say, with a burning sense of "not fair!" we whipped up quite a noise, and John MacPhail "cooly" slotted home the winner from the spot. Just shows what can be done with the right mindset, and a crowd behind you.

The Port Vale game the day before, if I remember kreckly, was sodden, on their big pitch. The players must've been tired by second half of the Walsall game. Just shows what can be done with ....