IGNORED

England U21

Silvio Dante

Thought there might be a chance that AS hit the squad today but not involved. Looking at the midfielders there, you’d argue performing better than McAtee and Doyle at this level, and two of those from prem clubs (Garner and Jones) haven’t really got huge game time this season.

Likely staying with the U20s due to the World Cup this summer in part I’d guess, but feels a touch unlucky.

3 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thought there might be a chance that AS hit the squad today but not involved. Looking at the midfielders there, you’d argue performing better than McAtee and Doyle at this level, and two of those from prem clubs (Garner and Jones) haven’t really got huge game time this season.

Likely staying with the U20s due to the World Cup this summer in part I’d guess, but feels a touch unlucky.

Whilst Rico Lewis is going to be some footballer, and was absolutely superb down the gate, that has to be one of the weakest U21 squads for a long time.

Outside of an obvious first 11, the rest of the squad depth involves players with barely any game time at all this season.          

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Was always very likely that he would stay with the U20’s in preparation for the U20 World Cup. 

2 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

Whilst Rico Lewis is going to be some footballer, and was absolutely superb down the gate, that has to be one of the weakest U21 squads for a long time.

Outside of an obvious first 11, the rest of the squad depth involves players with barely any game time at all this season.          

As with Scott, a lot of the current U20 squad will move up to the U21’s after the U20 WC.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NcnsBcfc said:

If you ignore the context of some players being in the under 20s and others that could qualify being in the senior squad maybe

• Admin

I'm not sure he is ready for the U21s just yet, the U20s is more where his level is

If he wasn't a City player I am sure many would view him in less rose tinted specs

If he wants to move up the levels sadly I don't think he will be doing that whilst playing for us

Just now, phantom said:

I'm not sure he is ready for the U21s just yet, the U20s is more where his level is

If he wasn't a City player I am sure many would view him in less rose tinted specs

If he wants to move up the levels sadly I don't think he will be doing that whilst playing for us

He's clearly ready for that level.  Far more experienced than half the under 21 squad a number of whom get picked because of their club not their actual ability.  However, they've rightly chosen to keep squads together.  Squads that qualified for the respective tournaments this summer. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, phantom said:

I totally disagree, he's at least the same level of the majority of the u21 midfield with the exception of probably Harvey Elliott and maybe Oliver Skipp

• Admin
1 hour ago, The Bard said:

He's clearly ready for that level.  Far more experienced than half the under 21 squad a number of whom get picked because of their club not their actual ability.  However, they've rightly chosen to keep squads together.  Squads that qualified for the respective tournaments this summer. 

How?

He's not done it at a level about the Championship or international level

He wouldn't be the first to shine at a lower level but stuggle

18 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I totally disagree, he's at least the same level of the majority of the u21 midfield with the exception of probably Harvey Elliott and maybe Oliver Skipp

See the above

YES he has the POTENTIAL but lets wait until he is doing it at a consistent level

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

How?

He's not done it at a level about the Championship or international level

He wouldn't be the first to shine at a lower level but stuggle

See the above

YES he has the POTENTIAL but lets wait until he is doing it at a consistent level

And Tommy Doyle and James McAtee have?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Yeah, sorry Phants, that’s a hideous argument. If we’re genuinely saying a bloke valued at £25m plus (not just by us but by common consensus) isn’t ready for a U21 game because he’s playing in the championship when he’s played more games at this level (or any level) than McAtee and Doyle, and has by all consensus performed better, we’d all best go home.

To flip it, if he wasn’t City and clubs were in for him at the prices mooted, then wouldn’t you be shocked he wasnt in the squad when far less deserving cases were?

I think, though, it is a case of taking the view of trying to win the U20 World Cup.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

So then who is going to go and get a result in Naples instead? 

Name your XI who aren't in the squad who should be. 

Southgate is sending a poor message, regardless of how many minutes you play for your club side/how well you can miss out to players who have been sat on the bench for the majority of the season.

Quoting Southgate here  'What's the best way to judge our players? The Champions League'... so **** you if you aren't playing in the champions league basically. Players like Phillips who've played sod all football all season frankly should be no where near the England team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Give over, if Scott moves to the premier league in the summer he probably doesn't make as many appearances as most of those players have this season. The only question marks are Doyle and McAtee but they're still very good players, Garner being the example being very good at this level.

30 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Southgate is sending a poor message, regardless of how many minutes you play for your club side/how well you can miss out to players who have been sat on the bench for the majority of the season.

Quoting Southgate here  'What's the best way to judge our players? The Champions League'... so **** you if you aren't playing in the champions league basically. Players like Phillips who've played sod all football all season frankly should be no where near the England team.

Message isn't anywhere near as important as getting results.  These aren't 2 Nations league games.  We've got as difficult a group as we could for these qualifiers with the hardest game first.   We last played 3 months ago. No manager in the world would do anything other than go with what he knows.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Message isn't anywhere near as important as getting results.  These aren't 2 Nations league games.  We've got as difficult a group as we could for these qualifiers with the hardest game first.   We last played 3 months ago. No manager in the world would do anything other than go with what he knows.

Just after a world cup should be when we're looking to start the next cycle of players, establish who will be the most important players for us in 18-36 months time, if Kalvin Phillips can't get game time at Man City will he really be in a position to be useful for England at the next couple of major tournaments? Trippier and Walker will both be 34 come the Euros, are Dier's performances really worthy of a call up? I will give Southgate his due with Gallagher and Guehi as he appears to be going that way with them. 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Just after a world cup should be when we're looking to start the next cycle of players, establish who will be the most important players for us in 18-36 months time, if Kalvin Phillips can't get game time at Man City will he really be in a position to be useful for England at the next couple of major tournaments? Trippier and Walker will both be 34 come the Euros, are Dier's performances really worthy of a call up? I will give Southgate his due with Gallagher and Guehi as he appears to be going that way with them. 

There is always a danger of trying to go with the squad of the future too soon…and then not qualifying.  Every World Cup ends with clamour to move the old guard out straightaway.

15 hours ago, The Coach said:

On another note. I see Southgate has gone for the usual lot. Pleaseee go now GS

I’m very pro Southgate, won’t deny that but for the first time I agree the squad is questionable.

What is the point in putting Toney when he’s about to get his with a lengthy ban? He may as well have put him in sooner if the betting scandal wasn’t an issue.

Walkers in hot water at the minute so from Southgate’s usual moral standpoint he perhaps is lucky to make the cut.

Phillips has so little game time, Maguire too. Although Maguire has always been pretty solid for England I can understand it.

I just hope the rest of U20's have started to realise the advantages of playing as a team. Although they won the U19 WC I always felt it was because of their physical superiority rather than technical or team ability. 

Also, with Scott's reputation now, maybe they might pass him the ball occasionally. 

On 17/03/2023 at 10:14, Silvio Dante said:

He’s certainly performing better than I’d say atleast 4 of those midfielders but he’d get more game time with the U20 which would only improve his progression. Also that U20 squad is largely the same that won the U19 Euros so does make sense

On 17/03/2023 at 10:20, NcnsBcfc said:

Disagree, think it’s very strong. Lewis, Gibbs-White and Colwill all had shouts of being called up to the seniors with Smith-Rowe called up in the past. Balogun only two goals off Mbappe in the Ligue 1 scoring charts (4 more than Messi), midfield is very strong even without Scott and plenty of prem experience aswell as players in form