IGNORED

End of an era: Soccer AM to be axed by Sky

phantom

3 hours ago, bearded_red said:

So Inbetweeners is the latest thing that people have just decided has been ‘cancelled’. Even though you can barely flick through the channels any night without stumbling on it.

And rightly so, as it remains absolutely hilarious.

I keep fearing that Only Fools and Horses will be taken off gold before too long- can’t believe it has lasted this long on daytime television.

4 hours ago, spudski said:

TV now has just become so ' vanilla'... 

Inbetweeners, the fast show, little Britain...so funny, still is imo. 

And who can't remember the Big Breakfast. Bring it all back. Fed up of cancelling everything because someone might get offended ?

Remember this...

I think I can still remember the address (without googling)

4 Old Lock Keepers Cottages

London 

E3 2NN

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Little Britain was always shite.

Its first radio series was absolutely superb. The pilot radio episode was possibly the funniest half hour of radio comedy ever.

Try to forget the appalling TV series it spawned and give this a go.

The TV show however was little more than a parade of grotesques, with David Walliam's "old lady pissing herself" possibly the worst of the lot.

It was like a pair of morons had listened to the radio show and tried to copy it.

Soccer AM should have been chopped years ago, like Fantasy Football it was hilarious in its day but that day was the 1990s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

I  think the name Soccer was used when football first organised itself into league form back in the 1880s/90s. This was to distinguish it from rugby football. I suppose the names just morphed into football and rugby eventually. I've just had a thought when I was in junior school (1960s) we used to call it footer. Was that a thing or maybe just at my school?

In the early 19th century days before codified rules, there were different types of football played in different places including public schools. The split was back in the 1860s though. Handling the ball was quite common at Rugby school and some others. So they went one way while others banned handling and set up the Football Association. Soccer comes from the abbreviation of Association, in parallel with the abbreviation of Rugby to "rugger", which is less often heard now. One sport evolved into two, and soccer and rugger were the common names used to distinguish the two, at least at public schools, though I think football was always used more amongst the working class clubs.

"Footer" was certainly used in the early twentieth century, but not just for soccer. "Footer bags" were football shorts!

“The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swanking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?”

"The Code of the Woosters" (PG Wodehouse, satirising Oswald Moseley and his Blackshirts, in the ludicrous figure of Roderick Spode and his Blackshorts).

Edited by Leveller
  • Thanks 2

I know a lot has been made of this this week so thought I would check it out this morning for the first time in years…

Christ! How have they dragged it out for so long. This is terrible. Could be such a good Saturday morning programme again if done right so hopefully there will be something to replace it for those who watch regularly.

Who were those two women? Were they supposed to be the female equivalent of the freestylers? Shocking if so.

5 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Never a great fan (or of magazine style shows in general) but it should have been axed years ago. Long past it's sell by date. 

I’ve watched it on and off for 20 years and I watched the final episode this morning and still found it amusing, as did my 14-year-old son.  I think it still did a job, and could have continued.  I hope that what they replace it with isn’t more men around a table arguing about who supports the best team.

On 23/03/2023 at 15:54, CyderInACan said:

Disagree. I think Blackadder has totally stood the test of time. 

Most comedy is of its age, but good humour is good humour, whatever the age.  The Marx Brothers can make me cry with laughter and they’re nearly 100 years old.  I still think The Fast Show is pretty much as funny as when it was first shown, and I never get bored with Men Behaving Badly.  Python has its racist/sexist moments by today’s standards, and it was always hit and miss even at the time, but the hits are still sublime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’ve watched it on and off for 20 years and I watched the final episode this morning and still found it amusing, as did my 14-year-old son.  I think it still did a job, and could have continued.  I hope that what they replace it with isn’t more men around a table arguing about who supports the best team.

Going to be replaced by some social media people nonsense so I heard