IGNORED

Rotherham v Cardiff match to be replayed in full

One of the most unfortunate abandonments must have been during the 1961 FA Cup. Denis Law had scored all 6 goals for Manchester City who were winning 6-2 away at Luton when torrential rain forced the match to be abandoned in the 69th minute. Manchester City lost the replay 3-1 with Law scoring the City goal. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Typo
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

One of the most unfortunate abandonments must have been during the 1961 FA Cup. Denis Law had scored all 6 goals for Manchester City who were winning 6-2 away at Luton when torrential rain forced the match to be abandoned in the 69th minute. Manchester City lost the replay 3-1 with Law scoring the City goal. 

Michael Hardcastle, the author of Football fiction like the Mark Fox Series, came to my junior school to do a talk on writing.

He asked that question….who scored 7 goals in an FA Cup match and still ended up on the losing side.  Nine of us knew!

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

And, of course, DL’s six goals don’t appear in the official record.

13 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Happened to us back in the early 2000s at home to notts county. We were losing 1-0 which Paul Heffernan scored before it was abandoned.

Can’t remember what the score was in the rematch though - anyone?

I was there that night. When it was announced that it was being abandoned, it got the biggest cheer of the night. We were dreadful. I can't remember the result when it was replayed though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, B-Rizzle said:

Happened to us back in the early 2000s at home to notts county. We were losing 1-0 which Paul Heffernan scored before it was abandoned.

Can’t remember what the score was in the rematch though - anyone?

City won 3-2.

14 hours ago, Malago said:

Didn’t  same happened to the scum bags away at Wycombe a few years back when they were winning.  A lightening strike? Which according to their pea sized brains was some how Wycombe’s fault

Lost the rearranged game ?as well if memory serves.

Well recalled.  Fans of the family club took the news with their usual good grace....

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/9894400.angry-scenes-after-wanderers-match-abandoned/

Different circumstances but I remember a game against Leeds in the 70s.....as the fog came down...and got thicker and thicker. Game abandoned at Half Time. Hunter was having a great time...fouling a Leeds player, a blast of the refs whistle and Norman disappeared into the fog (again). Ref couldn't find Hunter so no point in booking him. 

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Michael Hardcastle, the author of Football fiction like the Mark Fox Series, came to my junior school to do a talk on writing.

He asked that question….who scored 7 goals in an FA Cup match and still ended up on the losing side.  Nine of us knew!

I used to read his books . Bloody great read growing up . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Malago said:

Didn’t  same happened to the scum bags away at Wycombe a few years back when they were winning.  A lightening strike? Which according to their pea sized brains was some how Wycombe’s fault

Lost the rearranged game ?as well if memory serves.

You forget, they both fear and worship electricity at the same time so could well have suspected that Wycombe may have deliberately summoned the lightning through powerful bad magic.

avatars-000224951894-kyn2z9-t500x500.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Different circumstances but I remember a game against Leeds in the 70s.....as the fog came down...and got thicker and thicker. Game abandoned at Half Time. Hunter was having a great time...fouling a Leeds player, a blast of the refs whistle and Norman disappeared into the fog (again). Ref couldn't find Hunter so no point in booking him. 

Great anecdote!

Not on that level. but the ref abandoned a foggy Sunday league game I played in after someone inadvertently (I think) booted the ball straight into the back of his head knocking him off his feet. 

2 hours ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I was there! also remember a game v orient in 76? When it was foggy as well.what I can remember was a young Laurie Cunningham playing through the gloom!