IGNORED

Great gesture by Stockport players

1960maaan

Just seen this on the Socials, nice thing for them to do. 
Stockport sitting 5th and 6 points off of 2nd spot, fans seem to be getting behind them. Saw another Post saying they had back to back 10,000+ crowds for the first time since about 68/69 , nice to see them being appreciated.

Screenshot2023-04-07at09_36_45.png.7ed5d66162a75d93b494a684d06f453f.png

• Like 14
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just seen this on the Socials, nice thing for them to do. 
Stockport sitting 5th and 6 points off of 2nd spot, fans seem to be getting behind them. Saw another Post saying they had back to back 10,000+ crowds for the first time since about 68/69 , nice to see them being appreciated.

Screenshot2023-04-07at09_36_45.png.7ed5d66162a75d93b494a684d06f453f.png

10k+ wow! They didn't get anywhere near that when we used to play them, just shows what a presumably sensible pricing structure and some community work can do. I suppose the Gasheads would turn their noses up at such low figures though.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

10k+ wow! They didn't get anywhere near that when we used to play them, just shows what a presumably sensible pricing structure and some community work can do. I suppose the Gasheads would turn their noses up at such low figures though.

An element of being disillusioned/priced out of supporting nearby premier league sides perhaps? IIRC a lot of Man City fans come/came from the Stockport area.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

An element of being disillusioned/priced out of supporting nearby premier league sides perhaps? IIRC a lot of Man City fans come/came from the Stockport area.

I thought most of City's support was drawn from north Manchester, whereas Stockport is to the south of the conurbation?

It does have its own character though. I think it was in Cheshire, before Greater Manchester was created, as opposed to Lancashire like Manchester itself. The locals do not like you calling them Mancs. 

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I meet some many city fans that now watch Rochdale as it’s cheaper and more like football used to be 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I thought most of City's support was drawn from north Manchester, whereas Stockport is to the south of the conurbation?

It does have its own character though. I think it was in Cheshire, before Greater Manchester was created, as opposed to Lancashire like Manchester itself. The locals do not like you calling them Mancs. 

Certainly I know Man City fans from Stockport. That's anecdotal rather than evidence-based though. 

I spent the weekend in Stockport earlier in the season when we played at Blackburn. I'd never been before and, as you say, it's very much a town in its own right. Got some great museums too. The air raid shelters and Tudor buildings are well worth a visit. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I remember stopping for a pint on the way to Bury for the first time, maybe 81/82. Walked into a pub on the outskirts , 3 of us and the place was rammed with Man City, we decided to drink elsewhere . 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember stopping for a pint on the way to Bury for the first time, maybe 81/82. Walked into a pub on the outskirts , 3 of us and the place was rammed with Man City, we decided to drink elsewhere . 

Talking of Bury, wasn't there a pub next to Gigg Lane called the Swan and Cemetery? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Talking of Bury, wasn't there a pub next to Gigg Lane called the Swan and Cemetery? 

Yes there is , use to meet my manc cousin in there when we use to play Bury . 
on the main road about 10 mins walk from the ground 

got to be honest I really did quite enjoy going to all the old grounds in the lower leagues 

Edited by redkev

3 hours ago, TomF said:

For some reason I look out for Stockport’s results. They really had a tough ten years going all the way to the National north. Still wide open for the two auto promo spots below Orient. Hope they nab one of em

I remember going to their place years ago. Was staying at a mates place in Manchester. The pitch was unplayable 

Always had a soft spot for clubs around that area with the big clubs as neighbours. Brilliant gesture and a club that risen again. Always liked Bury as an away day . Remember the injury time winner from the loanee from Brazil , Silva ?

Not sure of the year