IGNORED

Managers you are glad we have never had at City

Lanterne Rouge

On 09/04/2023 at 14:36, bcfcnick said:

Mark Hughes, Roy Keane, Chris Hughton , Mick McCartney & Sam Alleradyce.

Pearson gets lumped in with some of the old-fashioned managers who relied on discipline and giving players a hard time . He demands a lot but he's a lot smarter than that and generally all the players who have played for him are quite glowing in their praise for his man management. 

I'm not saying all the managers above are old school but we did pick the right guy from those who would be labelled 'experienced'  and one who has been motivated (and stubborn) enough to transform the Club at all levels without whinging about lack of funds.  He's brought in academy players out of necessity to some extent but he's done it willingly and astutely.

Some of these get an unfair press at times IMO. Big Sam and his body of work at Bolton was extremely impressive, and he varied tactics based in opposition. Within the same framework but probably physicality etc depended on the opposition, budgets, home or away etc.

I think you need quite good man management ability too in order to firstly persuade players such as Okocha, Djorkaeff  Campo, Hierro and the rest to join a club like Bolton, yea PL but bottom third and then buy into a very strict framework.

Sometimes it can just click at a certain club however as he hasn't really been outstanding elsewhere over a long period of time tbh but as well as pound to point ratio he was also rather innovative, Prozone, encouraging a greater emphasis on spending on youth and training than was typical of a lot of clubs at that time etc.

Hughton did alright at Newcastle and was unfairly sacked, Big Sam also unfairly sacked at Blackburn too at around the same time. Hughton did fine at Brighton but probably ran his course, similarly at Norwich.

Mick McCarthy did well up to a point although seemed to have certain limitations at Wolves in the PL say, varied mid-market foreign players he perhaps didn't tailor tactics well enough . Otoh he has done a good job in a variety of places.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Really?? His record is rather good no? Strikes me as someone who has the capability to build as well but not necessarily had the opportunity so far- although getting Burnley into Europe was quite something.

He didn't exactly endear himself as a player here. I remember him then managing Watford and thought he had a chip on his shoulder. Granted, he did really well with Burnley though. But would I want him here, no thanks.

59 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Bit disappointed that Colin hasn't had more mentions.

Love Colin. He mentions us all the time. I would like to know how many times he applied! 

Managers I’m glad we never had include

McIness

Lee Johnson

Tiny Penis 

&

Roy Hodgson 

Oh wait a minute!

• Like 1