IGNORED

A disappointing end to what has been a frankly underwhelming season.

pillred

23 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

My hunch is neither. Just that we had everyone fit (for once). If Mehmeti had been in the squad, we would have to have left out Wells or Weimann, I presume. The bench was balanced with lots of options. 
We won last week so that means an unchanged team in NP’s mind. Weimann scored the winner; Wells created it. I’d have left out Harry Cornick because I don’t think he’s made the impact we all hoped. But 19 into 18 doesn’t go. 

Perhaps for £500 we could pick the team that week and our name could be announced at the beginning of the match!

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I think that’s my feeling too. A bit too thin to challenge, although I think we’ve squandered some points.

I think I was more interested in your response to my second point about a possible front three of Mehmeti (left) Conway and Bell (right). See my point about the signing of HC. 

My belief is that lack of depth squanders points.  Posted many times about:

• not being able to bring in subs to improve us
  • being at bare bones on a Saturday after a tough Saturday / Tuesday
  • etc

The last two games highlight that….strong bench, got us the extra 2 points v Rotherham, when it’s actually possible we might’ve lost all three.  Yesterday we get back into with our subs, and gave away that point through a terrible Scott pass.

Re the three players…I’m more liking Mehmeti playing behind Bell and Conway rather than side by side.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

How Mehmeti did not feature at all yesterday was a surprise, is he injured or has he fallen out with the management? 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

My hunch is neither. Just that we had everyone fit (for once). If Mehmeti had been in the squad, we would have to have left out Wells or Weimann, I presume. The bench was balanced with lots of options. 
We won last week so that means an unchanged team in NP’s mind. Weimann scored the winner; Wells created it. I’d have left out Harry Cornick because I don’t think he’s made the impact we all hoped. But 19 into 18 doesn’t go. 

Nige said he wanted a balanced bench.

image.png.d0b37f1321a9ef1021a0a438d84636f3.png

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My belief is that lack of depth squanders points.  Posted many times about:

• not being able to bring in subs to improve us
  • being at bare bones on a Saturday after a tough Saturday / Tuesday
  • etc

The last two games highlight that….strong bench, got us the extra 2 points v Rotherham, when it’s actually possible we might’ve lost all three.  Yesterday we get back into with our subs, and gave away that point through a terrible Scott pass.

Re the three players…I’m more liking Mehmeti playing behind Bell and Conway rather than side by side.

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Nige said he wanted a balanced bench.

image.png.d0b37f1321a9ef1021a0a438d84636f3.png

Pearson also stated he would never sign players just for the sake of it, but only ones who were an upgrade on those we already possessed?  I bring you Harry Cornick?   I am sorry to ride the anti Cornick band wagon...but i just don't get it?  It is not a personal attack on HC, but it IS a very disappointing reflection of Pearsons mission statement IMO?    HC has had a fair crack of the whip, and there is probably a footballer in there  .............but it is well hidden, and WILL it ever come out?..... !!

Edited by maxjak

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Pearson also stated he would never sign players just for the sake of it, but only ones who were an upgrade on those we already possessed?  I bring you Harry Cornick?   I am sorry to ride the anti Cornick band wagon...but i just don't get it?  It is not a personal attack on HC, but it IS a very disappointing reflection of Pearsons mission statement IMO?    HC has had a fair crack of the whip, and there is probably a footballer in there  .............but it is well hidden, and WILL it ever come out?..... !!

You’ve made a big assumption he signed him for the sake of it.  

Do you really think he did that?  Or do you think he signed him for a legitimate reason, that he thought he’d improve us…but it hasn’t worked out…so far.  It might not.  Best laid plans and all that.  He’s been on our radar since last summer (at least).

That’s a big difference than “for the sake of it”!!!

Pre-signing Cornick, what did you think of Luton’s Harry Cornick?  I think to most of us on here, on paper it looked a good / sensible signing.  What did you think after Boro (h), we’re there some flashes in that performance that justified the “on paper” logic?  Could you not see what Nige / Tins were thinking?

(I think you also need to bear in mind if we sign a player like Currie, they won’t be better than Pring…so I think you don’t have to take things quite so literally.  He’s building a squad, it takes all type, it also has to have some longevity to it)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

…but it hasn’t worked out…so far.

Personally think it is working out, but players like HC find it very difficult to win over lots of our fans (and maybe fans in general) as don’t offer either obviously tough tackling or delicious skills on the ball - with limited focus on the actual outcomes. Don’t think it’s been quite what HC would be hoping for yet, but plenty of green shoots and not the horror show some (not you) seem to think.

And to your overall point, totally agree, NP needs to make signings that will improve the squad with the finances he’s got, he can’t only sign people who will definitively replace a first team regular. Whatever we think of Max, difficult to disagree that he needs more competition, that doesn’t mean we need someone who’ll displace him immediately. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, pillred said:

How Mehmeti did not feature at all yesterday was a surprise, is he injured or has he fallen out with the management? 

I was surprised as well. Burnley's defence was superbly organised, but they weren't fast. Mehmet does the unexpected. He twists and turns and has that close control that I think would've got the ball in their danger zone. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Do you really think he did that?  Or do you think he signed him for a legitimate reason, that he thought he’d improve us…but it hasn’t worked out…so far.  It might not.  Best laid plans and all that.  He’s been on our radar since last summer (at least).

Pre-signing Cornick, what did you think of Luton’s Harry Cornick?  I think to most of us on here, on paper it looked a good / sensible signing.  What did you think after Boro (h), we’re there some flashes in that performance that justified the “on paper” logic?  Could you not see what Nige / Tins were thinking?

(I think you also need to bear in mind if we sign a player like Currie, they won’t be better than Pring…so I think you don’t have to take things quite so literally.  He’s building a squad, it takes all type, it also has to have some longevity to it)

Sorry...i am possibly being far  too critical, but i believe that he is a "cheap shot in the dark option"   He could make it, but he could also be a someone who drops down the order, and just plays occassionally?  For 200k it's a chance worth taking.   But despite our financial woes and belt tightening...he is not a signing that has got the fan's pulse's racing.  I hope i am wrong, and i hope he succeeds, but i do not think he will?

On 30/04/2023 at 16:31, pillred said:

Think it was more that there was not enough room on the bench for another forward player, with Wells, Wiemann and Sykes. Plenty of time for Mehmeti to cement his place in the team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Pre-signing Cornick, what did you think of Luton’s Harry Cornick? 

I thought it was an odd signing. Didn’t think we needed him. Other priorities.But like with all signings, you think ‘ok, let’s hope this works out.’ And most fans don’t watch enough of another club’s games to have a clear opinion. You hope those who’ve brought him in know what they are doing. That’s their job. Fans have their jobs to concentrate on.

I’d have preferred Ogbene. More money but cheapest is dearest in the end and all that.

13 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Pre-signing Cornick, what did you think of Luton’s Harry Cornick? 

I thought it was an odd signing. Didn’t think we needed him. Other priorities.But like with all signings, you think ‘ok, let’s hope this works out.’ And most fans don’t watch enough of another club’s games to have a clear opinion. You hope those who’ve brought him in know what they are doing. That’s their job. Fans have their jobs to concentrate on.

I’d have preferred Ogbene. More money but cheapest is dearest in the end and all that.

Fair enough.

Guessing Ogbene not available in January…he had said he was seeing his contract out (Middlesbrough tried allegedly).  Competition in summer would be more???  I really like Ogbene, my top choice to replace Semenyo.  Definitely was on club’s radar.  Sometimes a deal can’t be done.  We could’ve waited, but a player on our radar (Cornick) was available and we got him.

• Like 1