IGNORED

VAR - Audio Footage

Silvio Dante

Excellent PR firstly by Webb as the new man in charge.  Showed examples where they got it right and wrong, so not cherry picking.

Also said FIFA won’t allow them to show live…fair enough…but that might change in future.

Neville goes in to say it shows no lack of integrity on official’s part, that is a key obstacle to overcome in the world of “ref v everyone else”.  Good reflective PR for Webb and his team.

Its educational too, both in terms of educating what the process is, but for the fan, what the rules are and how they are being interpreted.

If PGMOL put this out after every game, maybe our watching of MOTD (and the like) can re-focus on the game again, rather than the decisions.

Finally, it will stop the two snide (because the ref nor Lino can see) examples we saw in time too:

- White holding Ward’s arm at a corner

- Toney holding the defender to throw him off balance

I am long critical of referees, but for VAR I feel they’ve not been transparent in the use of it, and it’s been a wasted opportunity.  This is is the start of “working together”.

A good start by Webb.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Excellent PR firstly by Webb as the new man in charge.  Showed examples where they got it right and wrong, so not cherry picking.

Also said FIFA won’t allow them to show live…fair enough…but that might change in future.

Neville goes in to say it shows no lack of integrity on official’s part, that is a key obstacle to overcome in the world of “ref v everyone else”.  Good reflective PR for Webb and his team.

Its educational too, both in terms of educating what the process is, but for the fan, what the rules are and how they are being interpreted.

If PGMOL put this out after every game, maybe our watching of MOTD (and the like) can re-focus on the game again, rather than the decisions.

Finally, it will stop the two snide (because the ref nor Lino can see) examples we saw in time too:

- White holding Ward’s arm at a corner

- Toney holding the defender to throw him off balance

I am long critical of referees, but for VAR I feel they’ve not been transparent in the use of it, and it’s been a wasted opportunity.  This is is the start of “working together”.

A good start by Webb.

I thought the Joelinton goal one was also interesting. We all know the guidance is now to let the phase play out before putting the flag up and that was a real example of how that worked in conjunction with VAR. Looked all the world off, was given off when the phase finished but goal allowed after referral. Often said that letting the play go on risks injury but that definitely showed the other side of the coin.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Now release the audio where they forgot to draw the offside lines. Call me a cynic but what’s the point of showcasing these specifically(?)

To be fair, one of the examples shown did contain a mistake.

But yeah I'd like these to be released for every decision in every game. What's to hide? 

Good videos which give a good insight into VAR but to me it just illustrates how complex and technical it all has become and ignores the main issue - VAR detracts from the joy of the game.  Players and fans can’t properly celebrate a goal because there’s a good chance it’ll get chalked off after 5 minutes of micro analysing the TV footage.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Some points on this.

The average VAR decision is 50 seconds, the longest ever was 3 minutes and 40 seconds as of Jan 22.

We play in a league that doesn't have VAR and my enjoyment has been severely impacted by a number of absolute clangers this season. I am still not over that decision at Hull in the first weeks of the season. We might well have made the playoffs had we had VAR in the Championship.

That’s an 11 point swing.  Seems highly unlikely, all the wrong decisions would have to have been against us and none for us.  The Hull match still stings for me too but at least we can properly celebrate a goal when it comes.  

9 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Indeed it does, but the momentum lost in some situations may also have had significant impact..

It's not the point though, fans over exaggerate the time VAR takes and the benefit is a c. 8% increase in correct decisions. 

It's not perfect, but it's absolutely better than not having it at all.

It’s a trade off , in exchange for an 8% increase in correct decisions (statistically of which half will go for you and half against so therefore no net gain) you forgo the split second joy of a goal.  I’m glad I didn’t have to wait (on average) 50 seconds after Christian Roberts’ goal against Hartlepool before really knowing it was going to count when it finally appeared on the big screen.    

Just now, Percy Pig said:

There was nothing involved in that goal that would have led to a VAR decision. He beat two before sliding it home.

But you wouldn’t have known that at the time.    Something unseen by the behind the goal camera as in the videos above can rule a goal out.  Every action is reviewed by VAR.  The doubt in your mind would still be there (for on average 50 seconds)