IGNORED

Another four point deduction for Wigan

phantom

Gotta wonder how Wigan have ended up as they have so soon after administration. What sort of checks were done, what sort of regulatory oversight both at time of and following takeover.

The club owners are ultimately responsible for their position but was the rule about 2 years of proof of funding enforced at all at time of takeover..

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gotta wonder how Wigan have ended up as they have so soon after administration. What sort of checks were done, what sort of regulatory oversight both at time of and following takeover.

The club owners are ultimately responsible for their position but was the rule about 2 years of proof of funding enforced at all at time of takeover..

Quite. Didn't they have big losses in the season they were promoted from League 1? And why did the EFL wait until they failed to pay wages 5 times before demanding proof of funds?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Quite. Didn't they have big losses in the season they were promoted from League 1? And why did the EFL wait until they failed to pay wages 5 times before demanding proof of funds?

Wages around 156 of turnover iirc although I dunno what percentage Promotion Bonuses if any.

Does make you wonder really. Seems ludicrous how this slipped through the net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sinenomine said:

So if the money is there, why didn't he deposit it before the deadline? 

I'll believe it when it actually happens. 

Quite. Expect the next 'Price of Football' podcast to have more comment on this. Kieran Maguire would say 'I can't legally say that the Wigan owner is a wrong 'un ...'

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hxj said:

It must have come as a terrible shock to them too - not like they were aware of the position in January this year:

image.png.470045363b548b3cc3b093678c383c78.png

Oh and again on 17 May 2023:

image.thumb.png.57545d32bada69c3e2b15fbbda617470.png

So the club accepted the proposed sanctions and are now planning to appeal against the sanctions.

Best of luck with that.

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

Under different ownership, while they were an established prem side and had bee  for a number of years

Iirc they had just been relegated that week or the following week, certainly not established when they won it.

• Like 1

Seems to fit the narrative to go after the smaller clubs , Swindon ( many years ago ) and more recently Wigan & reading yet Man City have had doubts over the way they have run there business for years and are again appealing against more charges also Everton now seem to be under the microscope and possibly Leeds I believe , 

funny how the smaller clubs get done pretty quickly but the bigger clubs seem to get away with it 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, redkev said:

Seems to fit the narrative to go after the smaller clubs , Swindon ( many years ago ) and more recently Wigan & reading yet Man City have had doubts over the way they have run there business for years and are again appealing against more charges also Everton now seem to be under the microscope and possibly Leeds I believe , 

funny how the smaller clubs get done pretty quickly but the bigger clubs seem to get away with it 

The examples you give just demonstrate that the Premier League takes FFP less seriously than the EFL.

What a coincidence that just as the government published a White Paper as a step towards independent regulation Richard Masters discovered a dusty copy of the FFP rules at the back of his filing cabinet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, redkev said:

And the impression is that the Premier League only got shamed into investigating Man City for breaches of FFP after the UEFA charges were challenged. To be less interested than UEFA in FFP basically implies turning a complete blind eye to it!

6 hours ago, redkev said:

Leeds sold Raphinia and Phillips for big money summer 2022 so probably not them- you could be thinking of Leicester who sold Fofana and posted a huge pre tax loss of £92m despite being in year of record or 2nd or 3rd highest turnover. 

Leeds are currently in dispute over the wages of Augustin but I don't see that tipping them into FFP breach anyway.

I would also query Leicester and their current position or projected current position to 2023, let alone 2024 and Wolves are reportedly under observation. Chelsea we know about, surely they'll get referred if they don't make the correct sales by end of June.

5 hours ago, chinapig said:

The examples you give just demonstrate that the Premier League takes FFP less seriously than the EFL.

What a coincidence that just as the government published a White Paper as a step towards independent regulation Richard Masters discovered a dusty copy of the FFP rules at the back of his filing cabinet.

5 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

And the impression is that the Premier League only got shamed into investigating Man City for breaches of FFP after the UEFA charges were challenged. To be less interested than UEFA in FFP basically implies turning a complete blind eye to it!

One bit to add on this, as we saw a few years back in 2019.

Debates as to whether limits should be raised or tightened. Nottingham Forest fan on Twitter..reckons that £105m in 3 years adjusted loss limit doesn't reflect the modern market and should rise to reflect. I view that fairly dismissively but who knows how a majority of clubs will vote.

The odd thing here and I hope they come through it. This is reported as usual.

When Derby had a Winding Up Petition or a potential one in early 2020, it never made the news. This was prior to Covid but usually when a club gets a Winding Up Petition or similar it is newsworthy especially one of Derby's size. That particular one was withdrawn, dunno how it usually plays out with HMRC and Winding Up Petitions.

5 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Winding-up petition from HMRC now, could be doomed.

May not be doomed if Derby are a benchmark.

They got a Winding-up petition in January 2020. Was not reported on by any media at the time which is very unusual for a football club especially one of their standing and it was withdrawn. Quite why is hard to say, not been able to find any credible explanations- perhaps they promised to pay a restructure then Covid came along and such matters were on hold of course.

• Like 1