IGNORED

Top 3 up?

The wife just watched Coventry fans getting all excited on local news about their big day tomorrow; "What final is this" ...play off final I said then had to try and explain why a team can finish 10 points behind Luton 3rd place and yet have a chance of beating them to the top division.

Madness she said why cant the top 3 go up just as the bottom 3 go down?

Well maybe something to do with someone making money, got to agree the season should be the season imo, top 3 should go up and bottom 3 down...the end.

The season shouldnt come down to an overpriced one off game where a bit of luck could swing it one way or another...........what next?..... top team goes up and the next 8 play off against each other......madness but watch this space over the coming years.

3up, 3 down simple :dunno:

13 minutes ago, gl2 said:

The wife just watched Coventry fans getting all excited on local news about their big day tomorrow; "What final is this" ...play off final I said then had to try and explain why a team can finish 10 points behind Luton 3rd place and yet have a chance of beating them to the top division.

Well maybe something to do with someone making money, got to agree the season should be the season imo, top 3 should go up and bottom 3 down...the end.

The season shouldnt come down to an overpriced one off game where a bit of luck could swing it one way or another...........what next?..... top team goes up and the next 8 play off against each other......madness but watch this space over the coming years.

Maybe you aren’t old enough to remember how many meaninless games we had to endure at the end of the season, before the play offs were introduced. 

Not the perfect solution granted, but keeps the season alive for so many more teams now and their supportsrs now.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Can also have multiple teams on the same points total and not have to decide it on goal difference.

12 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Maybe you aren’t old enough to remember how many meaninless games we had to endure at the end of the season, before the play offs were introduced. 

Not the perfect solution granted, but keeps the season alive for so many more teams now and their supportsrs now.

At 70 plus yes I remember.......so lets say we finish next season in 3rd and end up at Wembers against a 6th place team but were 10points ahead of them at the end of the season, the 6th place team get a dodgey pen and we lose the game= madness and not many happy bunnies on here.

Why not have play offs at top and bottom of the leagues then?

Point being we all play each other twice, top 3 up bottom 3 down, the best 3 over the season should go up not the top 2... plus 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th....... why stop at 6th then, lets all play each other again in the new super improved play offs involving all the teams.

OP Its a freaking entertainment business.

The current format of promotion together with 3 points for a win were the best innovations that happened to English football.

The format is dynamic and exciting, and fair, and fortunately for most of the rest of us we like it that way.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, gl2 said:

At 70 plus yes I remember.......so lets say we finish next season in 3rd and end up at Wembers against a 6th place team but were 10points ahead of them at the end of the season, the 6th place team get a dodgey pen and we lose the game= madness and not many happy bunnies on here.

Point being we all play each other twice, top 3 up bottom 3 down, the best 3 over the season should go up not the top 2... plus 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th....... why stop at 6th then, lets all play each other again in the new super improved play offs involving all the teams.

We wouldn’t be that happy if we were in Luton’s position, but that’s the way it goes.  There’s way more interest at the end of the season now than there used to be, that’s for sure and it’s hard to argue that it isn’t for the greater good for spectators.

As for teams in a relegation fight being involved in play offs, didn’t we relegate Sheff U in one of our play off battles?!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, gl2 said:

You stop at 6th because that works perfectly for play offs. 

Year on year it produces great moments of football and emotion. 

Don’t know how anyone can watch play off games and think “yeah it would be a great idea to scrap these”. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, gl2 said:

lets all play each other again in the new super improved play offs involving all the teams.

I like it. 

6 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

We wouldn’t be that happy if we were in Luton’s position, but that’s the way it goes.  There’s way more interest at the end of the season now than there used to be, that’s for sure and it’s hard to argue that it isn’t for the greater good for spectators.

As for teams in a relegation fight being involved in play offs, didn’t we relegate Sheff U in one of our play off battles?!

Yes we did . 

10 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

You stop at 6th because that works perfectly for play offs. 

Year on year it produces great moments of football and emotion. 

Don’t know how anyone can watch play off games and think “yeah it would be a great idea to scrap these”. 

Yeah mental idea to scrap them IMO, even though we as a club have never had any luck in going up via the play-offs we have had arguably some of our most memorable games in them. Palace and Hartlepool spring to mind!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

Couldn’t disagree more. So many pointless games over the last two months of the season.  The play offs are always great.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Couldn’t disagree more. So many pointless games over the last two months of the season.  The play offs are always great.  

If anything I quite like the playoffs with 6 teams…top 2 up…then:

1. 5th (home) plays 8th
  2. 6th (home) plays 7th
  3. 3rd (home) plays winner of 2
  4. 4th (home) plays winner of 1
  5. winner of 3 v winner of 4 at Wembley 

I think that’s similar to the National League playoffs.  All single leg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

Your missus got any more pearls of wisdom 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

1. 5th (home) plays 8th
  2. 6th (home) plays 7th

And then do the same with the bottom  8,can’t see many league clubs agreeing with that 

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

That would make a very boring end of the season for about 8 clubs in each division, they used to have playoffs for relegation as well which I was never sure about, me I think the playoffs are probably the best thing to happen to football in my lifetime.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

1. 5th (home) plays 8th
  2. 6th (home) plays 7th

Would love to see something similar at the other end of the table too... and more teams promoted/relegated. 

4 up 4 down across all leagues would be far more exciting....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

The team finishing 3rd should go straight to the final; would make it a little fairer.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Midred said:

At the beginning wasn't there the nightmare where the winner of the championship playoff had to play the third relegation placed team in the premier league and beat them to get promoted?

Hmmm i thought 5th in league below played 3rd from bottom in league above then played winner of 3rd v 4th......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gl2 said:

Not really because thats how it works, you flip it and we finish 6th and went up no one would be like 'nah that 3rd place really should have gone up instead of us'. Play offs are good for football as others have said if you had 3 run away teams the season would be over so early and games become meaningless.

28 minutes ago, Midred said:

At the beginning wasn't there the nightmare where the winner of the championship playoff had to play the third relegation placed team in the premier league and beat them to get promoted?

Still a variation of that in Scotland. Winner of Championship goes up automatically, the bottom team in the SPL is relegated automatically but, second bottom play the winners of the Championship play-off which is contested between the teams that finish 2,3,4.

Whilst I get the whole finishing 3rd and not going up being harsh, you really cannot beat the playoffs for drama and entertainment (a key part of the industry revenue).

the intensity it adds is brilliant to watch, just look at Sheffield Wednesday last week - the drive to achieve an incredible come back due to what was at stake. 

1 hour ago, BrizzleRed said:

I've got a really dim and distant memory of being in the upper tier at Sheff Utd for a play off game, with Sir Alan Walsh banging one in at the far end to send 'em down. Is that correct?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BS3City said:

I've got a really dim and distant memory of being in the upper tier at Sheff Utd for a play off game, with Sir Alan Walsh banging one in at the far end to send 'em down. Is that correct?

Thought it was Carl Shutt who scored up there ? Walshy in the home game. 

3 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Thought it was Carl Shutt who scored up there ? Walshy in the home game. 

Could well be mate, happy to stand corrected! I do remember that format of playing a team from the league above was quite dramatic though...

• Robin 1