IGNORED

The Championship..tougher next year?

Mr Popodopolous

Not sure if i buy into the narrative that the division will be tougher next season to be honest.
Admittedly the teams coming down and with two traditionally big clubs in Ipswich and Sheff Weds it does appear to be stronger if you are going off names and past reputation. However like people have said all of the 3 clubs coming down look to be in massive disarray, i can see all 3 struggling next season to be honest.

• Like 1

Without trying to state the obvious; the relegated teams are coming down because they’re too crap for the Prem. 
The ones staying in the Championship (like ourselves) are here because we are not good enough to go up and not poor enough to drop to League 1 (apart from Cardiff who benefited from Reading’s points deduction)
Plymouth, Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday proved they were too good for League 1. 

There are indeed some big names in the Championship next season, but we are ALL in the second tier for a reason. There’s no difference to any year IMHO. The newly relegated teams will have the advantage of parachute payments - but that’s been the case for years for teams coming down from the Prem. 
I don’t think the coming season will be more challenging than any other in the Championship for us - in fact it could be easier now we’ve steadied the finances and have some money to spend. 

I don't expect it to be any harder than it was this season but I'd expect more from WBA and Norwich. Leicester will be competitive if they can retain most of the players they have, but that's a big if. Leeds, as always, could be anything and while I don't think Southampton will struggle I don't see them mounting a, serious challenge for the title either. Of those coming up Ipswich look best placed to mount a challenge. Sheffield Wednesday are a big club but are an aged team that will need a major overhaul to compete in the Championship but they're skint. As much as I rate Schumacher as a manager I expect Plymouth to struggle. 

8 hours ago, Bris Red said:

Not sure if i buy into the narrative that the division will be tougher next season to be honest.
Admittedly the teams coming down and with two traditionally big clubs in Ipswich and Sheff Weds it does appear to be stronger if you are going off names and past reputation. However like people have said all of the 3 clubs coming down look to be in massive disarray, i can see all 3 struggling next season to be honest.

Sounds odd, but Southampton seem to be the best suited for it. 

Likely outs 

Ward-Prowse, Elyounoysi and Lyanco 

But they have championship quality core in 

McCarthy, S Armstrong, A Armstrong and Adams coupled with some good young players who will probably excel in the championship. 

Leeds will have a complete overhaul, probably keep Ayling, Cooper, Meslier and Bamford. None of them being Dan favourites at the moment

Leicester will struggle the most, aging squad when you take out the ones who will leave. 

Tielemens, Maddison, Iheanacho, Daka, Ndidi, Mendy, Castangne, Soyuncu, Dewsbury-Hall and Barnes

Coupled with an owner who’s struggled for cash since the pandemic with Duty Free stores not earning a penny for 2 years. (Fofana money not reinvested at all) Leaves me with no confidence they will get players in. If they make the play offs, I’ll be shocked. 

The teams coming up have a financial backing, but will they have the pulling power to win over players from established sides? 

Plymouth will probably just stay up based on picking up points at home. Ipswich and Sheff Wed should also survive. 

QPR, Rotherham, Cardiff, Brum and Huddersfield could be in for a tricky season. 

A lot of focus on players, less focus on the clubs.

Remember when we had Dmc and SO'd, both made suggestions that we were a very poorly football club, not just on the pitch but everywhere?

Will Leeds fans be quick to turn on their players if they aren't in the top 6 after 6 games, will Leicester fans get the vapours if it turns out that the expected exodus isn't mirrored by players they expect to take them back up? These home games could be a nightmare for players.

Way I see it, we have no idea (at the moment) just how big a challenge the Championship will be next season, for every big money signing, there will be a gem plucked from a youth academy or a lower league side who takes to Championship football like a duck to water.

And this is why we love it!

That said, as a 40/1 shot, we have to be a sensible e/w bet for a couple of quid, even if we do lose a player or two.