IGNORED

DaSilva sent to Coventry

Silvio Dante

2 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Fair play to Jay. Done well to get a 4 year contract elsewhere.

He’s a good player but we clearly don’t give out contracts like that anymore. I hope it works out for him!

Good player still only 25. Just a shame that his injury impacted some of his time with us, but professional in his attitude to the end

18 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Surprised they are better off financially than us considering we are both of similar size ?

They’ve not had to deal with £60m of losses and a mahoosive cost base holding them back.  They have issues, different ones, but they are building effectively.  We start our similar journey this summer.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Surprised they are better off financially than us considering we are both of similar size ?

They didn’t have Ashton and LJ overseen by Steve spunking money up against the wall. Had Semenyo broken his leg or done his ACL before Christmas we could have been looking at a points deduction. Or we would have had to sell Scott for £12m or whatever!! Richard Gould admitted it was a realistic possibility.

• Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They’ve not had to deal with £60m of losses and a mahoosive cost base holding them back.  They have issues, different ones, but they are building effectively.  We start our similar journey this summer.

Exactly and for us it’s a case of spending the money in the best way not on a Left Back likely to make 15-20 starts next season (cos we have Pring).

1 hour ago, Jimbo123 said:

Given NP supposedly didn’t like Palmer’s attitude he’s not done too badly making the PO final now with two different clubs both without parachute payments.

Nothing of the sort . Pearson said plenty of times he’s a decent lad . Doesn’t suit us as a player that’s why he left & high wages. Don’t know why some keep peddling this myth 

• Like 5

They are a good footballing side, he will fit in nicely in that respect.
I like him, technically very good, but crossing/final ball leaves a lot to be desired. His wages made the decision easy, his lack of stature and physicality too. Cam Pring pretty much sealed his fate with his performances, much more the sort of player Nige wants going forward. 

Another one we don't get any money back for, but hopefully one of the last. 

• Like 1

Whilst I wish Jay well, was pleased he left as never thought he was a very good defender and not that great going forward, has some good close control which you would have thought should have seen taking his man on and getting into the box, but rarely seemed to try, also never had the same pace after his injuries. Maybe in a team that can get the best out of his attributes he may fulfil his potencial.

Give me Pring and Joe Bryan any day.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm a bit baffled as to why we even offered him a contract? 

My theory:

At the time we offered a contract (having been in discussions for quite a while) it made sense.  Those discussions probably started whilst he was still first choice.

But over a period of time, the form of Pring changed the dynamic.  

There was a bit of clever wording from Nige more recently (different wording to what was used with Tomas) - we offered Jay a contract in January.  I read that as he turned it down and from that point onwards he’s been on his way.  Hell, he almost went in January.  I don’t think there were any more discussions or compromises being offered from either side at that point.  Jay had a deal with Cov sorted, they probably said we will come back in the summer.

In the meantime Jay is gonna do what he can to get the best deal he can, through touting himself to the likes of Swansea, but also showing decent performances on the pitch (after a very average spell just after the window closed and he didn’t move).

Summary, I think the contract offered was way back, not recently.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Good luck to him.

And target him with 2 on 1, crosses, cross field passes etc in our next meeting. We should know his weaknesses by now.

Naismith to knock some Marlon Pack diagonals to the back stick v Cov, hopefully with someone other than Nakhi lurking behind Jay to get on the end of them. Proper football 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I reckon he would’ve.

Can you imagine them courting him since January and then saying “sorry, we are looking elsewhere now”?  I don’t, but that’s just me.

Do you think we would have upped our offer Dave to keep jay if we never had pring and possibly leeson in our ranks 

Echo what others have said, a good deal for everyone concerned. Jay in reality had become a squad player for us, with Pring having performed consistently better than him over the last year or so it wouldn’t make financial sense to be offering him the 4 year deal Cov have on i’d imagine fairly strong wages.

Edited by Bris Red