IGNORED

DaSilva sent to Coventry

Silvio Dante

17 minutes ago, Searles said:

Not sure what he offers tbh. Solid enough but terrible going forward and could be targeted due to height. Lacks any form of dynamism which is needed for a full back.

Yes that Mark Robins hasn't a clue....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Evening,  Sky Blues fan who drops on here occasionally.  

After a bad few days we now have news of Dasilva joining us.  I think I remember seeing him play ..Quite fast.   I was surprised to see that he is not the 6’4

And both this forum and Skybluestalk link Tomáš ….. to us as well (no contract signed at bcfc yet?  

Palmer, Dasilva… What is the likelihood of another opting to leave you?  Mark Robins clearly respects your players.

Edited by flying fokker
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They’ve not had to deal with £60m of losses and a mahoosive cost base holding them back.  They have issues, different ones, but they are building effectively.  We start our similar journey this summer.

CCFC player wages budget 2nd lowest in the league.    We’ve had shit thrown at us for the last 15 years. (Us fans).  Our previous owners ran us like a hardware store with loss prevention on the doors.   They starved the club.  

New owner in January.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flying fokker said:

After a bad few days we now have news of Da Silver joining us.  I think I remember seeing him play ..Quite fast.   I was surprised to see that he is not the 6’4

And both this forum and Skybluestalk link Tomáš ….. to us as well (no contract signed at bcfc yet?  

Palmer, Dasilva.  What is the likelihood of another opting to leave you?  Mark Robins clearly respects your players.

Hi FF and commiserations.

Palmer was a '1 good game in 10' player and not worth what we were paying him.

Jay, is a decent player but was being kept out of the side by home grown Cam Pring. No offence to Jay but I'd rather have Cam plus we apparently have an old boy returning. Good luck to Jay though.

TK has had loads of injuries but, if he can stay fit, is a fine defender. No news of him signing the deal offered to him but if can get a longer deal at yours, good luck to the bloke. We'll move on regardless.

I would be surprised if you're paying more than us with all possible respect but we are dropping our wage bill by quite a bit so a longer deal, as per Jay, makes sense, for the player most certainly.

See you next season.

U REDS.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flying fokker said:

After a bad few days we now have news of Dasilva joining us.  I think I remember seeing him play ..Quite fast.   I was surprised to see that he is not the 6’4

Palmer, Dasilva… What is the likelihood of another opting to leave you?  Mark Robins clearly respects your players.

Evening, commiserations on the weekend.

i wouldnt be surprised if kalas ended up at cov either, looks like and is an absolute warrior at the back but i think time has caught up with him and the way he plays. If he does go that will be 3 players that we spent about 15 million on all leaving for free!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, flying fokker said:

Hiya, what the source re Kalas / yourselves, other than on your forum.  Not sure I’ve seen anything here?

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Surprised they are better off financially than us considering we are both of similar size ?

We actually have higher turnover, won't bore with details but their cost base has been much lower and about 10-15 players left today released mix of squad players, loanees returning to their clubs etc. 5 or 6 youth players too.

Screenshot_20230530-222949_Chrome.thumb.jpg.94c3f78535402ceddb3045b5994cb7bd.jpg

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Hiya, what the source re Kalas / yourselves, other than on your forum.  Not sure I’ve seen anything here?

It’s just conjecture.  Crystal ball.  Could be true of course.   

I came on here because it had been mentioned on our site.  I then see that a poster surmises that possibility.  It does seem possible.  Then I read off here that he’s had his share of injuries.  
I guess we will know in a few weeks.  

Edited by flying fokker
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, flying fokker said:

It’s just conjecture.  Crystal ball.  Could be true of course.   

I came on here because it had been mentioned on our site.  I then see that a poster surmises that possibility.  It does seem possible.  Then I read off here that he’s had his share of injuries.  
I guess we will know in a few weeks.  

Ta, no probs.

It certainly wouldn’t surprise me if you were sniffing around, especially with Rose going today, McFadzean not getting any younger, and the loans returning, possibly not coming back.

He’s had one long injury that had a couple of setbacks in rehab.

Im guessing the fact we’ve offered him a deal means we must think he’s not gonna continue to be hampered….but it’s a risk.

1 hour ago, flying fokker said:

Evening and commiserations.

DaSilva and Bidwell, an interesting pair of options at LWB. Dasilva is very technical and still only 25 , could still grow a bit as a player- doesn't necessarily produce so many goals and assists but personally wouldn't have minded him staying if finances had worked. Coventry play with a back 3 IIRC?

Certainly heard nothing about Kalas to Coventry, could just be forum talk but think the

1 hour ago, flying fokker said:

You'll be getting a consumate professional in Dasilva.

Excellent technically, really quick feet, gets forward quickly, final ball a bit hit and miss, forget shooting as he's terrible.

Well liked here and sorry to see him go tbh.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Probably just a case that they need a left back and are willing to pay. We don't as we have Pring

Also they had that lad on loan from Chelsea the previous season who was a great signing, who was on loan at Burnley and got promoted. I think Robins will be expecting the same output from JD. 

3 hours ago, flying fokker said:

CCFC player wages budget 2nd lowest in the league.    We’ve had shit thrown at us for the last 15 years. (Us fans).  Our previous owners ran us like a hardware store with loss prevention on the doors.   They starved the club.  

New owner in January.  

I'm quite fed up of hearing this fake story about 2nd lowest wage budget. The figures your fans base this on was from a dodgy site. Your accounts show a completely different picture. 

You came into the Championship with a wage bill of around 5 million, that's what was impressive. At the end of last season your accounts show you had increased your wage bill by around 10 million. Since then you signed 5 players on loan and signed players such as Palmer and players signing new contracts. So I'd not be surprised to see that your wage bill has gone up by another few million. 

Pretty much most Championship clubs have had to make cut backs since covid. Our financial reset will be complete this summer. Other clubs still have a way to go. 

When you beat us at Ashton Gate last season we had 18 year old Striker Sam Bell playing at RWB. We've played most of this season with just the one recognised CB. 

The point I'm making is that your run to the play off final was no miracle. You had increased your wage bill by around 15 million at a time where clubs such as our own was making huge cutbacks. 

The Championship is quite distorted because of this. I believe that every club that were in the play offs had increased their wages from last season. 

I was actually shocked that you got to the final. From the games I've seen you play this season you've been shocking. You just park the bus and hit it long to that Swedish striker. I actually thought you were one of the worst sides to visit Ashton Gate this season. 

But what you showed was a bit of luck and momentum can take you a very long way. 

I feel gutted for your fans as that was genuinely your one chance to go up and you blew it. Luton should have been 3 or 4 nil up at half time. 

Your new owner doesn't appear to have any serious funds behind him (and ffp limits what an owner can put in anyways) I've heard rumours that he is just a front man for SISU and the fact SISU were at Wembley on Saturday further suggests this. 

I think your club continues to be ran badly sadly. You've allowed your best players to enter the final year of their contracts. I've heard your fans quote 25 million for your Swedish striker, you won't even get half of that now. 

O'hare hasn't been seen of since your club priced him of a move to Burnley. 

I actually think you are really going to struggle next season.

First off it's possible you may have a play off hangover, so that momentum that took you so far is gone. Your players also have almost a month less break than the rest of the league. 

Your 5 loan players have returned to their clubs and If your best players do leave then you then need to of course replace them too. That's almost an entire team.

Any players you now sign will demand top 6 wages, the existing players will then feel as if they themselves deserve the same level of wages. For example, you've signed JD from us who will be on higher wages than Bidwell, despite JD being a backup player for a team that finished well below his team. Bidwell will be annoyed that he's not earning the same despite him playing a role in getting Coventry to the final. 

Fans expectations have now risen so fans will expect the same again and that just shifts the whole mentality of the club. I even heard some of your fans boo your performance on the half time whistle on Saturday. 

Maybe I'm just reading into things too much but it's kind of what happened to us after our play off final defeat. We got to the play off final based on a lot of luck and momentum just like yourselves. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, flying fokker said:

Tomas Kalas :) 

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I'm quite fed up of hearing this fake story about 2nd lowest wage budget. The figures your fans base this on was from a dodgy site. Your accounts show a completely different picture. 

You came into the Championship with a wage bill of around 5 million, that's what was impressive. At the end of last season your accounts show you had increased your wage bill by around 10 million. Since then you signed 5 players on loan and signed players such as Palmer and players signing new contracts. So I'd not be surprised to see that your wage bill has gone up by another few million. 

Pretty much most Championship clubs have had to make cut backs since covid. Our financial reset will be complete this summer. Other clubs still have a way to go. 

When you beat us at Ashton Gate last season we had 18 year old Striker Sam Bell playing at RWB. We've played most of this season with just the one recognised CB. 

The point I'm making is that your run to the play off final was no miracle. You had increased your wage bill by around 15 million at a time where clubs such as our own was making huge cutbacks. 

The Championship is quite distorted because of this. I believe that every club that were in the play offs had increased their wages from last season. 

I was actually shocked that you got to the final. From the games I've seen you play this season you've been shocking. You just park the bus and hit it long to that Swedish striker. I actually thought you were one of the worst sides to visit Ashton Gate this season. 

But what you showed was a bit of luck and momentum can take you a very long way. 

I feel gutted for your fans as that was genuinely your one chance to go up and you blew it. Luton should have been 3 or 4 nil up at half time. 

Your new owner doesn't appear to have any serious funds behind him (and ffp limits what an owner can put in anyways) I've heard rumours that he is just a front man for SISU and the fact SISU were at Wembley on Saturday further suggests this. 

I think your club continues to be ran badly sadly. You've allowed your best players to enter the final year of their contracts. I've heard your fans quote 25 million for your Swedish striker, you won't even get half of that now. 

O'hare hasn't been seen of since your club priced him of a move to Burnley. 

I actually think you are really going to struggle next season.

First off it's possible you may have a play off hangover, so that momentum that took you so far is gone. Your players also have almost a month less break than the rest of the league. 

Your 5 loan players have returned to their clubs and If your best players do leave then you then need to of course replace them too. That's almost an entire team.

Any players you now sign will demand top 6 wages, the existing players will then feel as if they themselves deserve the same level of wages. For example, you've signed JD from us who will be on higher wages than Bidwell, despite JD being a backup player for a team that finished well below his team. Bidwell will be annoyed that he's not earning the same despite him playing a role in getting Coventry to the final. 

Fans expectations have now risen so fans will expect the same again and that just shifts the whole mentality of the club. I even heard some of your fans boo your performance on the half time whistle on Saturday. 

Maybe I'm just reading into things too much but it's kind of what happened to us after our play off final defeat. We got to the play off final based on a lot of luck and momentum just like yourselves. 

Think this sounds overly bitter if I'm honest.

Whether their wages have gone up or not they likely still have one of the lowest wage budgets in the Championship.

They haven't played O'Hare because he got an ACL after a contract extension last year.

You talk about all championship clubs having to make cut backs to wages then assume Jay will be on more than Bidwell without knowing anything. 

On the point on them not selling Gykores prior to having only a year on his contract, maybe they thought they had enough quality in their team to challenge for promotion instead and whether you think they were lucky to be in the play offs or not it nearly paid off for them.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, flying fokker said:

CCFC player wages budget 2nd lowest in the league.

@W-S-M Seagull Keiran Maguire (who will use figures from Companies House accounts) reckons Coventry have a bottom 6 wage bill. Available figures are from the last season so we don't know exactly at this point. But, assuming that the clubs that replaced Peterborough, Barnsley, Sheff Wed, Forest, Bournemouth and Fulham each had similar budgets, it's reasonable to assume that Coventry's budget was in the lower echelon of the division.

Coventry probably pay less wages than Sunderland who reported a £14.4m wage bill for 2021/22, and that will have gone up following promotion, so is likely slightly more than Coventry for season 2022/23. Wigan (£11.6m 2021/22) and Rotherham's (£5.8m 2021/22) wage bills are likely lower (Wigan's is often £0 for a month ?).

But anyway, conclusion is that Coventry's wage bill is low, but is almost certainly not the second lowest.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Think this sounds overly bitter if I'm honest.

Whether their wages have gone up or not they likely still have one of the lowest wage budgets in the Championship.

They haven't played O'Hare because he got an ACL after a contract extension last year.

You talk about all championship clubs having to make cut backs to wages then assume Jay will be on more than Bidwell without knowing anything. 

On the point on them not selling Gykores prior to having only a year on his contract, maybe they thought they had enough quality in their team to challenge for promotion instead and whether you think they were lucky to be in the play offs or not it nearly paid off for them.

Agreed, i think it would have been good for them to go up so they can try to get hold of the ownership of the stadium. Robins has been fantastic, and has gradually built them up despite having to play all over the place. I guess the key for them going forward is what happens with gykores, and if he leaves, what they do with the money,,, much like us with scott.

Bottom third, bottom quarter wage bill I'd say and Kieran Maguire said bottom 6. Definitely not bottom 2.

Thete are two ways of looking at it really. Decks cleared and a chance to build with quality as they should definitely not be threatening the £39m Upper Loss Limit- or a major rebuilding job- look at that Retained List- and it ciukd go either way tbh.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

So strong we finished 11 places lower than them ????

It’s funny when you look at things like that isn’t it?  Just goes to show how a squad can be relatively blessed in some positions but not in others.  Pring with Dasilva as cover is quite a strong LB position.  Tanner (as much as I like him) and Wilson is nowhere near as good for example.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s funny when you look at things like that isn’t it?  Just goes to show how a squad can be relatively blessed in some positions but not in others.  Pring with Dasilva as cover is quite a strong LB position.  Tanner (as much as I like him) and Wilson is nowhere near as good for example.

It's funny reading Robin's quotes. "Fast, pacey, attack minded" are not adjectives that spring to mind with Dasilva.

Technically very good, and excellent close control would be my ones.

Can't quite remember a time last season when Jay actually got to the goal line to get a cross in. He would normally look to stop a good 10 yards beforehand before producing another wonderful overhit cross.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Sign of the times….Coventry able to offer better terms than us.

As others have said, would much rather have Cam and JB as our two LBs though….?that the JB rumours come true 

Nah, I'm sure we could have matched or offered more that Coventry - The point is, Coventry rate him more than we do.

He clearly isnt a player who will help us get promoted. He's bang average. Coventry will find that out.

Good luck to Jay tho.

3 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Nah, I'm sure we could have matched or offered more that Coventry - The point is, Coventry rate him more than we do.

He clearly isnt a player who will help us get promoted. He's bang average. Coventry will find that out.

Good luck to Jay tho.

When was the last time we gave a 4 year contract to any player. Normally 3 years + option at a push.

Just like Weimann's last contract solution, those extra years make a difference, rather than wages.

• Like 1

I've always liked Jay and massive respect for the way he handled himself in a contract year so wish him all the best. With us having Pring (and who knows if in a few weeks we aren't talking about having Joe Bryan too although I'm not as optimistic as some) it makes sense to go our separate ways.

Jay has a lot of excellent attributes - among the best in our squad in some cases I think. He also has some weaknesses, and areas of his game that can be improved. That's why he's a Championship player!

You can't question his attitude though. If he combine that with finding a team who will take advantage of his qualities then he'll do very well - and I hope he does as I like him a lot. That's not the direction we're heading in as a team, and I'm glad we're letting go good players who don't fit our ethos/strategy now, rather than holding on to them "just in case".

People saying he's "terrible" at some things - give it a rest. As I said, he's a Championship player with strengths and weaknesses and has done consistently pretty well for us as a club on the pitch. Good luck to him, I think Coventry will be a decent fit, and if it is they've got themselves a good and tidy player who I reckon could do easily a job in the top half of the table.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

When was the last time we gave a 4 year contract to any player. Normally 3 years + option at a push.

Just like Weimann's last contract solution, those extra years make a difference, rather than wages.

Alex Scott, Joe Williams…before that, Jay Dasilva (?), Dan Bentley, Tomas Kalas, Kasey Palmer, Han-Noah Massengo

• Haha 2