IGNORED

Phil Neville

phantom

• Admin

Been sacked by Inter Miami this evening 

He's one of those people that amazes me how he ever gets a top managerial position. 

After his meltdown in a recent interview the writing was on the wall 

He was awful with the England women and essentially only got this position because his business partner Peter Lim, his brother Gary, and a board including himself and other multiple business partners awarded him the role at a job at which he did not even interview for. 

The icing on the cake was when he signed and played his son for Miami 

What amazes me from all the class of '92, not one of them learnt a thing from SAF about football management 

I still have flashbacks of yelling "don't foul him" in the closing stages of the Euro 2000 defeat to Romania as he gave away that stupid late penalty against England 

20230602_003837.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, phantom said:

He was awful with the England women

He got them to the semi finals of the last World Cup, which is as far as they’ve ever gone, and didn’t have the luxury of home advantage. 

Hopefully the Lionesses go two stages further Down Under in a few weeks but I think saying he was awful based on equalling Mark Sampson (in terms of stage of elimination) and bettering every other Lionesses manager is unfair. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, phantom said:

He's one of those people that amazes me how he ever gets a top managerial position. 

He was awful with the England women and essentially only got this position because his business partner Peter Lim, his brother Gary, and a board including himself and other multiple business partners awarded him the role at a job at which he did not even interview for. 

What amazes me from all the class of '92, not one of them learnt a thing from SAF about football management 

I still have flashbacks of yelling "don't foul him" in the closing stages of the Euro 2000 defeat to Romania as he gave away that stupid late penalty against England 

20230602_003837.jpg

Nepotism will always be thrown in situations like this yet the lad was offered a professional contract at United before departing for Miami. Can’t be a bad player if that’s the case?

• Admin
5 hours ago, North London Red said:

He got them to the semi finals of the last World Cup, which is as far as they’ve ever gone, and didn’t have the luxury of home advantage. 

Hopefully the Lionesses go two stages further Down Under in a few weeks but I think saying he was awful based on equalling Mark Sampson (in terms of stage of elimination) and bettering every other Lionesses manager is unfair. 

Completely different game back then, he wasn't up to the role and proved just that with the players he had available

7 hours ago, North London Red said:

Technically true, but they lost the 3rd place play-off in 2019. In 2015, they reached the semis but won the play-off.

Think I saw some rumours saying he could head back to the women's game - even in the WSL. But I wouldn't want to see him manage anywhere (not for a while at least)

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, shahanshahan said:

Technically true, but they lost the 3rd place play-off in 2019. In 2015, they reached the semis but won the play-off.

Think I saw some rumours saying he could head back to the women's game - even in the WSL. But I wouldn't want to see him manage anywhere (not for a while at least)

I'm not sure that a man who said the England women's team were lucky to have him would necessarily be welcomed back to the women's game!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, phantom said:

20230602_003837.jpg

I wouldnt call inter miami a top managerial job to be honest ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Football is no different from any other profession in that it can often be not what you know, but who you know. 

Always find it interesting that being a reasonable/good footballer may get you a managers job, but it's the less successful players have the better managerial career

Edited by E.G.Red

On 02/06/2023 at 13:55, 2015 said:

I can't believe he won 59 caps for England. There have been so many more talented Englishmen than him who haven't even had half of those amount of caps.

Some managers seem to have obsessions with certain players.

Graham Taylor with Geoff Thomas and Carlton Palmer, for instance.

No wonder England were (mainly) crap under his tenure.

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Some managers seem to have obsessions with certain players.

Graham Taylor with Geoff Thomas and Carlton Palmer, for instance.

No wonder England were (mainly) crap under his tenure.

Or even Gareth Southgate with Harry Maguire, although I actually think he plays quite well whenever he pulls on an England shirt.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 2